PDA

View Full Version : How too's with "Da 'chucks"

Unskilled_Blade
8th June 2006, 20:25
Yes, yes, I know. It’s been quite awhile since I was here AND posted (and make a {choose a curse word} of myself) But, if you remember, last time I said that I was going to drop all the things like self teaching; and I did! For a time though. I'm sorry! I just had to find something to do! So, I picked up a
pair of nunchucku (some many ways to spell it as I've seen) and had at it.
After the first 2-3 days I picked up on the main movements and the "flow"
of their graceful swings. And then, that was it! I don't know what to do now.

If anyone has an imagination or a strike set or something like that, please tell
me a spin or 2 that’s easy or at least won't give me a concussion;) I have really fallen in love with my 'chucks and don't won't to let the dust build up on them!

Prince Loeffler
8th June 2006, 20:51
Yes, yes, I know. It’s been quite awhile since I was here AND posted (and make a {choose a curse word} of myself) But, if you remember, last time I said that I was going to drop all the things like self teaching; and I did! For a time though. I'm sorry! I just had to find something to do! So, I picked up a
pair of nunchucku (some many ways to spell it as I've seen) and had at it.
After the first 2-3 days I picked up on the main movements and the "flow"
of their graceful swings. And then, that was it! I don't know what to do now.

If anyone has an imagination or a strike set or something like that, please tell
me a spin or 2 that’s easy or at least won't give me a concussion;) I have really fallen in love with my 'chucks and don't won't to let the dust build up on them!

Arik,

Internet lessons will cost you roughly $350 per post.

Lesson #1 - Find an instructor

I do take Visa, Mastercard and livestocks... :) Now pay up ! or I'll the Soprano's Collection Agaency and Waste Management consultant do collections on ya.... :D

Unskilled_Blade
8th June 2006, 21:27
Arik,

Internet lessons will cost you roughly $350 per post.

Lesson #1 - Find an instructor

I do take Visa, Mastercard and livestocks... :) Now pay up ! or I'll the Soprano's Collection Agaency and Waste Management consultant do collections on ya.... :D

Uhhh... Thanks for the "free" lesson Prince, but I'm not really sure WHAT kind of instructor I'll be looking for. What MA are the nuns under? Please don't tell me Karate! And I think I should have been more clear on what I wanted. I'm asking about some of the "free-style" tecniques, as I've come to the conclusion that in an actual fight, the 'chucks are pretty darn useless, as you'd be better of throwing the things at the attacker! Not to say that an expert couldn't whoop you a new one in that situation!

Ohhhh... And I'll pay you $350 when a soild gold katana with ruby studed wings flys out of my you-know-where :)

fifthchamber
9th June 2006, 02:43
What MA are the nuns under? Please don't tell me Karate!

Uhhh...Okay...I won't say it..You just did that anyway..And that is what they are taught under. Kobujutsu? Maybe..
Watch Bruce Lee films..They're great..Won't teach you much but who cares right?You aren't going to use them in a fight anyway.
Right?

Andrew S
9th June 2006, 13:33
Arik,
You're probably right about the nunchaku (note spelling - this IS correct) being pretty much useless in a real fight ESPECIALLY if you only learn "free style". The fact that you need to be carrying them at the ready before the altication starts is another element of reality you need to consider. (Try a quick search on posts by CobraPheonix - you might learn something)
If you really want to learn how to use the nunchaku, go to a karate/kobudo instructor who will most likely make you spend a couple of years on the bo, then tonfa or sai, then maybe move on to nunchaku.

Prince Loeffler
9th June 2006, 17:51
Arik,

Just for the record, Bruce Lee's Game of Death does not classify as Distance Learning Video Program.. :)

Unskilled_Blade
10th June 2006, 00:31
Arik,

Just for the record, Bruce Lee's Game of Death does not classify as Distance Learning Video Program.. :)

Ohhhhh..... Okay, I didn't realize this as I'm mentally retareded. You know, I
might be able to find a dojo/sensai if it didn't COST $o much $$$$!
Because I'm poor...really. And I don't really like MA moives as most are clogged with CGI and other crap, but the olds make me mad because the words don't match the movements of the mouths.

But, I'm I ever going to get a strait forward answer, or is that just a big no?

Jason Chambers
10th June 2006, 00:38
Why don't you just buy one of the many nunchaku videos/dvds that are available on the market instead of coming here and asking questions that WILL NOT produce (based on your previous posting hx) a "straight" or productive answer?

MikeWilliams
10th June 2006, 00:49
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsEZ2lpM0Yw&search=nunchucks) would be a good video to start with.

Jason Chambers
10th June 2006, 00:58
HERE'S (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAyapb-JMm8) another good one... The ending is priceless... :D

Prince Loeffler
10th June 2006, 03:44
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsEZ2lpM0Yw&search=nunchucks) would be a good video to start with.

I don't if this is a good idea Mike. The Yoi stance might be a bit ovewhelming for young Arik here.

I don't want anything bad happening to him. Alas, Poor Arik, I knew him well.. :)

Andrew S
10th June 2006, 12:35
Arik, do yourself a favour and read these threads.

http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30829

http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30840

The kid in question was keen to ask questions but only satisfied if he received the answer he wanted to receive. He also believed he could learn from books and videos - even movies!
Then ask yourself if everyone was too hard on him.

Nyuck3X
10th June 2006, 17:21
I don't really like MA moives as most are clogged with CGI and other crap

Just for the record, Bruce Lee's movies were made before CGI was invented.

Prince Loeffler
10th June 2006, 17:37
What is a "CGI" ?

Jason Chambers
10th June 2006, 18:07
Computer Generated Image

Prince Loeffler
10th June 2006, 18:49
Computer Generated Image

Gotcha ! Thanks ! :)

Unskilled_Blade
10th June 2006, 23:28
I can't watch your videos because(even though my computer is superer to ALL of yours) my gay Internet is ran by hamsters in spinning wheels{its SLOOOOOW} and IF YOU READ THE POST that you Quoted "Nyuck3X", then you'll see the word MOST in there, meaning a large quanity, but not all, dur.
Don't even bother with this post anymore, as its clear I'm not going to get
an actual tip besides the usaual nagging and pussy footing around that always proseads one of my questions.

Jason Chambers
11th June 2006, 00:07
He has had an epiphany....

Andrew S
11th June 2006, 02:06
Arik,
Your computer may well be superior to all of ours put together. That does not change the fact that a number of posters on this thread may well have been yudansha BEFORE YOU WERE BORN.
That means years of actual experience under a skilled instructor, many from the days when there were next to no books or videos on the subject.

Now, before you write any more posts, I want some straight answers to some simple, direct questions.

1) What is your actual martial arts history? (This means training under the guidance of an instructor). Give the name of the system and time that you trained.

2) What is it you hope to achieve through any martial arts training? (e.g. self confidence, physical fitness, a link to a culturally rich history, something to impress your peers and chicks with, etc.)

3) Did you take my advice and read Cobraphoenix's threads? If yes, did you notice any pattern? If no, why not?

4) Is English your first language or main language? This is NOT a put down, I'm trying to establish some facts.

Unskilled_Blade
11th June 2006, 03:05
Arik,
Your computer may well be superior to all of ours put together. That does not change the fact that a number of posters on this thread may well have been yudansha BEFORE YOU WERE BORN.
That means years of actual experience under a skilled instructor, many from the days when there were next to no books or videos on the subject.

Now, before you write any more posts, I want some straight answers to some simple, direct questions.

1) What is your actual martial arts history? (This means training under the guidance of an instructor). Give the name of the system and time that you trained.

2) What is it you hope to achieve through any martial arts training? (e.g. self confidence, physical fitness, a link to a culturally rich history, something to impress your peers and chicks with, etc.)

3) Did you take my advice and read Cobraphoenix's threads? If yes, did you notice any pattern? If no, why not?

4) Is English your first language or main language? This is NOT a put down, I'm trying to establish some facts.

1) 5 1/2 Months of Karate with a Mr. Greenlee (sp) not sure on his first name,
and 1-2 odd months w/ my friends mother who is a Marine and showed me the basics of Kendo and sword handling. This was around 5/05, ending early this January.

2) I hope to achive a sense of connection to the MA's and the people doing it with me, and for my own well being (mental&phyiscal) and impressing people
is not what the MA's are about.

3) Yes, I browsed through them, then I got bored and went outside. So I guess in reality.... no.

4) Well, I'm not sure what this has to do with anything, but yes, my first language is English, but at the moment I'm working on my 2nd language, German, to understand my family roots. But I do know a good portion of Japenese, not much of a portion, don't get me wrong!

5) Oh wait, theres not a 5, crap......

Prince Loeffler
11th June 2006, 03:18
Arik,

I thought you trained in Ninjutsu ? It is written in your profile. So what gives ?

Nyuck3X
11th June 2006, 04:45
Arik,
If you read my post, you'll see that there was no malice directed towards you.
I was simply stating a fact.
You are the second kid in a week to jump to conclusions.

By the way, my name is Ray, Nyuck3x is just a handle.
F.Y.I., I've been involved in MA's since before Bruce Lee died.
Und ich kann auch deutche gesprechen...

Do these guys seem to be a little hostle lately, or is it my imagination?

Andrew S
11th June 2006, 12:36
1) 5 1/2 Months of Karate with a Mr. Greenlee (sp) not sure on his first name,
and 1-2 odd months w/ my friends mother who is a Marine and showed me the basics of Kendo and sword handling. This was around 5/05, ending early this January.

2) I hope to achieve a sense of connection to the MA's and the people doing it with me, and for my own well being (mental&physical) and impressing people
is not what the MA's are about.

3) Yes, I browsed through them, then I got bored and went outside. So I guess in reality.... no.

4) Well, I'm not sure what this has to do with anything, but yes, my first language is English, but at the moment I'm working on my 2nd language, German, to understand my family roots. But I do know a good portion of Japanese, not much of a portion, don't get me wrong!

5) Oh wait, there's not a 5, crap......

OK, Arik, thanks for your answers.

1) Karate... could you tell us the particular style? 5 1/2 months ... basically you'd know how to stand without falling over, and the names of the techniques. This is not meant as a put down. Hell, after about 15 years of training I'm still learning how to stand.
A couple of months of Kendo... again, you know your kisaki from your tsuka, and maybe can perform the first three kata to some extent. Not really enough time to appreciate the subtleties of the art. It's well worth learning, pity the equipment is so expensive.

2) You're right, MA's are not about trying to impress people. However, you won't make any connection with anyone if you try to learn just from a book or video.
I asked this question, not just so I could find out your answer, but so you would think about it. This will also have a bearing on what art you eventually follow, so be prepared to think about it again.
I'd suggest a quick search here and find out who teaches what in your area. Someone at E-Budo might just be the sensei you're looking for.

3) Do yourself a favour and read them. Ask yourself "Why is everyone coming down so hard on Chase?" and "What could Chase have said or done differently that would have made him feel more welcome?"

4) OK, here comes the crunch. Try to read through your posts before you hit the submit button. If your browser has a spell check option, brilliant! I sometimes forget to use mine (wife-wants-me-off-the-computer-NOW!-type situations don't help) but, please, try to spell accurately.
Also, check your wording - are you clearly communicating the message you want to? Without the non-verbal communication that makes up to 70% of your ultimate message in a face-to-face conversation, clarity of expression is paramount.
Reading is one of the best ways to improve your writing. Read anything of quality you can get your hands on. Refer to a dictionary often. Find out the exact nuances of vocabulary.
Use your experiences of learning a second language enrich your first language.

5) Well, not at this point in time. I do, however, have an idea. You do as I've suggested here, read up, put a little more thought into your posts, and I'll try to get some of the other posters to cut you some slack. How does that sound?

Unskilled_Blade
11th June 2006, 16:57
Arik,

I thought you trained in Ninjutsu ? It is written in your profile. So what gives ?

Yes, I've been meaning to change that, as Andrew asked me for my actual
Training under an instructor, I was doing ninjutsu as in the exercise part.
This was by myself.
Oh, and Andrew, I couldn't even tell you the type of karate, as it's just some small time hick joint. And if anyone knows where to buy a cheap pair of zorries, please tell me, for my other pair recently fell apart, and they were good sandals too! And Ray, I didn't ask about you or your MA's history and I'm not impressed about how long you have been doing them either.

Nyuck3X
11th June 2006, 17:22
Arik,
Pick your battles.
I haven't directed any malice towards you in any of my posts.

My F.Y.I. wasn't ment to impress you. It was to inform you
of where I was coming from. You listed your training so I
gave you a point of reference to make an informed opinion
about me. I don't know you, you don't know me. All I know
about you is determined by the way you handle yourself on
this blog and your grammer. For all I know, you could be a
wonder child of some kind.

There is no such thing as a "small time hick joint" in karate.
Only good or bad instructors. I spent 20 years in the backyard
of my teacher and feel I got more there than I would have
in any commercial school. I don't know your teacher, but if
he's any good, and you do not have a lot to choose from, I'd stick
it out with him. When you become more experienced and more mobile,
you can train with other teachers around the nation if not world.

Nunchaku spinning can be fun. In true aplication they are not spun so
much. They are used more as a baton and a come-along device.

I hope you find what you are looking for, but more than that, I hope your
reason to study the MA's is stronger than just a passing fancy.

Peace.