PDA

View Full Version : Niten Ichi Ryu

Arimill
12th June 2006, 01:03
I was wondering if anyone knew somewhere for me to find out more of Niten Ichi ryu. so far all I'v heard about it is its two swords and created by Myamoto Musashi.

Phil Hobson
12th June 2006, 04:56
First, do a search on this site and you will come up with quite a few good leads, including teachers of this ryuha who post on this forum.

Also, go to koryubooks.com and you will find more info, including links to Colin (I apologize, I can't remember his last name)'s site in English on this style. This is one of those cases where the Internet has good and credible info on something.

Good luck.

__
Phil Hobson

12th June 2006, 07:37
www.hyoho.com

Arimill
12th June 2006, 12:09
Thanks to the both of you. and will do

Brian Owens
12th June 2006, 12:48
...Colin (I apologize, I can't remember his last name)...
Colin Hyakutake Watkin, or Hyaku for short (his user name here at E-Budo).

Yeah, the hyoho.com site is probably the best resource for information about the Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu, as well as many other topics. Hyaku has done a great job on that site, not to mention his postings as a contributor to -- and as moderator of -- this sword forum here at E-Budo.

Phil Hobson
12th June 2006, 21:15
This is one of those areas where we are extremely fortunate to have access to those who truly know that of which they speak (and write). It is what keeps me coming back to e-budo (mostly as a lurker).

Phil Hobson

ScottUK
12th June 2006, 21:21
I was wondering if anyone knew somewhere for me to find out more of Niten Ichi ryu. so far all I'v heard about it is its two swords and created by Myamoto Musashi.Hiya Christopher,

The nito (two-sword) waza are only one part of the ryu's syllabus. Here's the rest:

Curriculum (http://www.daedalusdesign.co.uk/hosted/nitendojo/content/practice-curriculum.htm)

gendzwil
12th June 2006, 21:26
Christopher, if you're one of those guys working in the oil patch at Fort Mac who doesn't know what to do with all the cash, you could spend some of it on a plane ticket to Guelph. There you could attend seminars on a bunch of this stuff, including Niten Ichi Ryu, and get a real good introduction. It's coming up in the middle of July, the details are here (http://www.uoguelph.ca/~iaido/gsjsa_ma.htm).

Arimill
12th June 2006, 22:55
yes I do live in Fort Mac. But im only just finishing high school, so I have no money.

Painfully enough there are no actoual kenjutsu classes this far north. However I'm part of a Taijutsu group here where a few of them have studied a few of the sword arts.

I am jus trying my best to grab what I can, and they help me with any of the bad aspects of book learning.

gendzwil
13th June 2006, 14:19
yes I do live in Fort Mac. But im only just finishing high school, so I have no money. Well, if you go to college in Edmonton or Calgary next year, you can hook up with one of the places I pointed you to earlier. IIRC the Calgary kendo guys practice on campus.
I am jus trying my best to grab what I can, and they help me with any of the bad aspects of book learning.What would be the good aspects of book learning? I don't recommend it, and I think you'll find I'm backed up by most of the senior people posting here and elsewhere.

hyaku
13th June 2006, 14:46
We also have members of HNIR Dosokai at Calgary Iaido Club. I will put up a link on the Dosokai page when I have a good connection.

Arimill
13th June 2006, 19:58
Yes, I know that book learning is not the best way to go, but there is really no other way in this city.

And yes, another year or two I will be looking into those Kendo Clubs

niten ninja
13th June 2006, 20:32
Yes, I know that book learning is not the best way to go, but there is really no other way in this city.

Then short of moving to Japan there is no way.

ScottUK
13th June 2006, 21:07
Don't be so negative. If Chris can get to one of the Dosokai groups then he can practice NIR as passed down through Imai-s and Iwami-s.

Chris, keep an eye on Hyoho.com for those links Hyaku mentioned.

Kim Taylor
13th June 2006, 21:39
Check out Athabasca University for Dr. Bruce Morito or Dr. Dietmar Kennepohl. Both studied at the U. Guelph and may both still teach iaido and (Dietmar) Niten Ichiryu. I haven't talked with either one for years but who knows.

Kim Taylor

yes I do live in Fort Mac. But im only just finishing high school, so I have no money.

Painfully enough there are no actoual kenjutsu classes this far north. However I'm part of a Taijutsu group here where a few of them have studied a few of the sword arts.

I am jus trying my best to grab what I can, and they help me with any of the bad aspects of book learning.

Arimill
14th June 2006, 12:08
okay thanks alot. But as I said that will be in a good year or two. Until that time I don know if I can jus stop trying to learn the way I am now. And if not books, what else could be possable?

ScottUK
14th June 2006, 13:26
Anything within reach. Karate, jujutsu, aiki - these will help you understand and get into the mindset of the martial arts.

Just don't try and learn from books... :)

Arimill
15th June 2006, 00:47
Oh I am. There Is a really good Ninjutsu group, and we do train in swords, its just that we do not work with them much at all. I have been in it for 6 months now and have never had a class on it yet. there was just a 5 min thing where one person taught me 3 basic cuts.

ScottUK
15th June 2006, 08:16
Ok cool - stick with whatever you can learn from a legit sensei for now - sword arts will still be around when you're in a better position to practice them... :)

Arimill
15th June 2006, 12:47
ok well will do then. thank you

Kaoru
19th June 2006, 00:47
okay thanks alot. But as I said that will be in a good year or two. Until that time I don know if I can jus stop trying to learn the way I am now. And if not books, what else could be possable?

Hi!

Wow, I've got computer access today! :D

Ok. Reasons why NOT to learn from a book:

1. Photos in books are only 2 dimensional. You only can see half of the waza as performed.

2. You can't learn from just looking at a still photo of a guy with a sword. Transitional techniques are therefore lost to you.

3. You can't ask books for help when you get confused about what you see.

4. You can't ask a book questions on how to do each waza.

5. You can't have a book look at you and watch you and then correct you when you make a mistake. Thus, you will never realise when you have learned a waza incorrectly. Consequently as a result, you may think falsely that you are doing things right when most likely, you are not doing things right.

6. A book cannot make you hold a waza and walk around you and move your body into the correct position.

7. A book can't teach you good and proper footwork.

8. A book cannot teach you proper etiquette.

9. A book cannot let you know when you have actually done a waza correctly.

10. Books are just words if you have not been taught by a legit sword instructor. Books are only meant to supplement legit sword training. A person really neds to be studying with a Sensei who knows what they are doing and be fully qualified to do so, and not rely on books to teach themselves. A book is only truely useful when the student has begun training in a good dojo.

11. You will learn everything wrong by attempting to teach yourself through books.

If a person hasn't had any formal training from a legit sensei, books really are not helpful for learning anything but history and learning the names of waza and such.

If I was you, I'd read up on Iaido, Kenjutsu and Kendo just so you know what it is you would be getting into and thus learn what may interest you. However, Please do NOT attempt to teach yourself. That's a good way to get yourself seriously hurt on top of learning waza incorrectly.

And the last reason why not to learn from a book? You'll just end up having to unlearn everything you learned wrong due to self-teaching yourself using books, which is a huge pain. It is a waste of your time to have to go back to square one and focus on unlearning stuff when you could be learning things right the first time around in a legit dojo. Trust me, you want to not have to struggle to fix things your body learned wrong for the first couple months. It is much more productive to go into a dojo fresh and untrained when you are first starting out. This way, your mind is unfettered by comparisons of how you learned it verses what your future Sensei is telling you. And, you want your mind free from having to remind yourself not to do things the way you taught yourself.

It is so much more fun to learn things right the first time around and it will make your studies in the sword arts so much easier and pleasant if you stay away from learning waza from books. :)

Oh yes... You can't learn from videos either. Re-read the above for why. :) They also are meant only as a supplement to legit training.

Well, I am sure I've left out things others will remind me of, or think of. I hope they will chip in if necessary, should I have left something out or have mis-said anything.

I hope this helps you! BTW, the dojo in Madison teaches both Kendo and Iaido. You ought to try both arts to see what suits you best. You may like both. I suggest choosing only one to start out, though. :) It's hard to learn two at once if you're a beginner.

Good luck!

CEB
19th June 2006, 00:55
12. A book can't call 911 when you cut yourself open. :)

niten ninja
19th June 2006, 13:16
I like a phrase I heard ages ago, "If you teach yourself then you have an incompetent teacher."

Kim Taylor
19th June 2006, 19:26
http://ejmas.com/pt/ptframe.htm

Kim Taylor

ScottUK
19th June 2006, 19:29
http://ejmas.com/pt/2006pt/ptart_taylor_0406.html - for those who can't read... :)

Kim Taylor
19th June 2006, 19:43
Thanks Scott, was about to come back and post the direct link myself... I write the damned frames site and then forget it's frames.

Kim.

ScottUK
19th June 2006, 19:50
No bother - excellent article, cheers...