PDA

View Full Version : Obi Crossed in Back or Not?

Nadelman
12th June 2006, 15:57
I was always taught to tie the obi with it crossed in the back. However, the dojo were I am at now tie the obi without it being crossed in the back.

I have been told over the years that this is a matter of preferance and custom. I have seen it done both ways by high ranking Dan from a variety of styles. Can anyone tell me if there is more significance to this?

Nyuck3X
12th June 2006, 16:39
I was told that if the dojo had hardwood floors, the obi
was crossed, and if the floor was padded, it was overlapped.
This way when you rolled, you would not hurt the small of your back.

Peace.

Prince Loeffler
12th June 2006, 18:29
I was told that if the dojo had hardwood floors, the obi
was crossed, and if the floor was padded, it was overlapped.
This way when you rolled, you would not hurt the small of your back.

Peace.

Hi Ray, Ive always wondered about this and never got around to ask. Thanks for this interesting piece of tidbits.

CEB
12th June 2006, 18:55
I don't know if that is really the reason but ....

My Judo teacher crossed the belt. My Goju Ryu teacher doesn't. The first trained on mats. The second on hard floors......

I figured it was one of those things that you do it because that is the way you do it....

Jose Garrido
12th June 2006, 18:58
I was told a long time ago that it had to do with the art or ryuha that you studied. If it was a high ranking samurai ryuha (hatamoto) it was wrapped like the kimono obi and if was a low ranking samurai ryuha (ashigaru) it was overlaped like the cloth that they used to keep their jackets closed.

Jose Garrido

TonyU
12th June 2006, 21:20
I figured it was one of those things that you do it because that is the way you do it....
Same here. Seen it and done it both ways. Now I just keep it overlapped.

Victor Smith
14th June 2006, 03:52
I was originally shown to cross the obi at the back.

Then I discovered the 'masters who knew' were sniggering at everyone who crossed their obi across their back. The in joke was that was the judo way of wearing the obi.

So on that later date I was shown how to cross the obi under the knott and keep the back flat.

Of course the right answer is always to smack anyone sniggering at you across their mouth instantly! And in turn do whatever you really want.

Uniforms and Obi are really not original karate, so it's really an affectation, and in turn anyone who really spends much time thinking about it should quit looking and spend their time training harder.

Pleasantly,

Michael-H
17th June 2006, 11:13
In judo the traditional way is uncrossed and is still insisted upon for kata or exhibition. The reason for crossing the belt at the back is that it getting twice as wide it gets harder to grip over the back. Or at least that is what I was told back in the day...

/M

Dave Humm
17th June 2006, 15:47
Although only a rank beginner in Shotokan Karate, i've spent almost two decades studying aikikai aikido and if there's one thing I've learned about dogi, its this...

Dogi (and belts) are just tools to help get the job done, they start clean, they get dirty. belts help keep the jacket closed and provided they're tied so they don't undo, does it matter; crossed, flat.. whatever.

Because of the over emphasis placed on certain garb within aikido communities, I've grown to treat my dogi in the same way I would a boiler suit, you put it on, do what you have to do then take it off again. Provided it's clean and tidy when you start, I really care less. :)

Regards

Oxygene
19th June 2006, 00:27
I was thaught not to do it, but some in my club do it. Have no idea why, I think it depends wether you like it or not :P

Prince Loeffler
19th June 2006, 02:49
I was thaught not to do it, but some in my club do it. Have no idea why, I think it depends wether you like it or not :P

Please allow me to kindly remind you are in violation of E-budo rules regarding the name posting policy. Either you need to supply us the following:

- Your home phone and cell phone number
- Social security number
- Employer's name and phone numbers
- Scanned birth certificate
- Your dad's Social Security Number
- Some DNA blood and saliva samples
-Your last 5 paycheck stubs
-Your current medical and dental records
- your checking and savings accounts
- Current Life, Medical and Auto insurance policy number
- Original deed of trust to your property
- Your vehicle registration and VIN number
- Your significant others name and medical records
- Hair samples from all known living relatives
- 24 letter of reference from non-relatives concerning your good conduct.
- Your current brain scan.
- Your psychiatric evaluation for the last 10 years
- Your sensei’s written permission to post and participate in any MA related forums

However, If any of the above cannot be secured, We can waived all the above requirements if you willingly and unconditionally agree to sign your REAL FULL name at the end of every post. You might get some warnings from any E-Budo member and possibly none from the moderators. If you do not comply you will be placed in E-Budo Hell in which you will be forced to have conversation with yourself.

The best solution to avoid a round all expenses paid trip to the dreaded E-Budo purgatory, simply follow the specific instructions below:

1) Find a quiet corner and get into seiza position. Now chant the following: “I will not Break E-budo rule of no name post” 2459 times.

Or

2) Stand in Naihanchi Ashi Dachi ( That‘s horse stance to you landlubbers), relax and take a deep breath, then Click on user cp, click on Signature editor, enter signature and answer yes that you want your signature to show plus anything else you want in your signature.

If this confuses you , go ahead call in sick from work and grab some Sake or a cold John Adams or if you are under 21, grab some milk and cookies and take the time to read this link:

http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showpost.php?p=397181&postcount=1

Again, Welcome to E-Budo ! Hope you enjoy your stay and please remain seated at all times.

Gary Wado
7th July 2006, 23:45
I think that it could be down to origin of style.

For example, Wado Ryu Karate and the likes of Judo and Ju-Jitsu being mainland Japanese Styles cross over at the back.

Most Shotokan and Goju exponents I have trained with do not, suggesting that this is specific to Okinwan "Do"

Gary

www.wado-kai-karate.co.uk