PDA

View Full Version : Seikichi Odo

okinawanfighter
14th June 2006, 15:04
Is anyone familiar with Seikichi Odo??

GojuMaster
15th June 2006, 19:58
Many here are. Do you have a specific question?

Is anyone familiar with Seikichi Odo??

okinawanfighter
15th June 2006, 22:14
No, no specific question. Just wondering if anyone on this forum was familiar with him. I was bored at lunch and was checking out this forum for something to do. My training is in Ryukyu Hon Kenpo Kobujutsu, and was just curious to see if anyone else on this forum was trained by him.

Matt Wolfson
16th June 2006, 13:20
My teacher ( John Anderson) trained with him for several years well stationed on Okinawa in the early 70's while with the marines and continued to take instruction from Mr. Odo over the years. I have been taught by him at many seminars and visits that Mr. Odo made to Pennsylvania. Not sure if that counts as being taught by him though. I was presented with my second degree black belt by him on a visit to our school shortly before his death. I have photos of the presentation somewhere...
Matt Wolfson
-There will be people in the world who think that even if you learn martial arts , this will not prove useful when a real need arises. Regarding that concern, the true science of marital arts means practicing them in such a way that they will be useful at any time, and to teach them in such a way that they wil be useful in all things. ~Musashi

CEB
20th June 2006, 04:09
I recall reading he passed away a year or two ago. I'm curious, who assumed leadership of Ryukyu Kempo? Did he have a son?

Matt Wolfson
20th June 2006, 14:34
I recall reading he passed away a year or two ago. I'm curious, who assumed leadership of Ryukyu Kempo? Did he have a son?

He died in March 2002 and I do not know if he appointed a sucessor. He very well might have but I dont think so. I know that he does have two son's but am not sure either is overseeing the organization. I think there are several people still teaching his system but not under his organization but are teaching his method and are giving Odo credit for the teachings. I feel that the organization was held together by Odo and when he passed things kind of fell apart. I could be very wrong in this due to the fact that I have not sought out people or information on his organization since his passing. I still train in Okinawian kenpo however I have not had a teacher or an organization affliation for some time now.
Matt Wolfson
-There will be people in the world who think that even if you learn martial arts , this will not prove useful when a real need arises. Regarding that concern, the true science of marital arts means practicing them in such a way that they will be useful at any time, and to teach them in such a way that they wil be useful in all things. ~Musashi

okinawanfighter
20th June 2006, 15:28
Master Odo had intended for his eldest son, Seijun Odo to succeed him as Master of Ryukyu Hon Kenpo Kobujyutsu. Unfortunately Seijun passed away before his father. Master Seikichi Odo died without designating a successor. Master Odo is survived by his wife, Yoshiko Odo, second oldest son, Susumu Odo and third son Itsumo Odo. The Odo family designated Susumu Odo to head up the Federation.

KenpoQ
16th September 2006, 01:45
Greetings all, I am new here and this is my first post, so be gentle....After Master Odo passed, the longest active student of Master Odo, Julian (Butch) Spain has been a VERY big part of keeping the federation going as well as helping Susumu with various details. There are still some of us students that have not left the new federation after Master Odo's passing. Any questions? Please ask!

Mike "Q"
www.okinawakenpo.com
www.makai-kenpo.com

Sanseru
16th September 2006, 21:15
Hello:

I would like to get a hold of Mr. Spain after meeting him several times while I lived in Japan. Would you kindly tell him that I would like to get in contact with him and forward my email address: kowakai@telus.net

Sincerely