PDA

View Full Version : Jigen Ryu Jojutsu?

will szlemko
30th May 2000, 08:36
Hi all,

I just finished reading Shoshin Nagamines new book. In this book he mentions that one of the karate masters of yore was also an expert in Jigen Ryu Jojutsu. I have never heard of jo being part of the Jigen Ryu. Does anyone have any knowledge of this? Thanks for any and all help.

will

Meik Skoss
6th June 2000, 15:53
[QUOTE]Originally posted by will szlemko:
[B]Hi all,

>I just finished reading Shoshin Nagamine's new book. In this book he mentions that one of the karate masters of yore was also an expert in Jigen-ryu jojutsu. I have never heard of jo being part of the Jigen-ryu. Does anyone have any knowledge of this? Thanks for any and all help.<

There are two styles/schools of kenjutsu that use the name of Jigen-ryu. The one that Nagamine was probably referring to is Togo Jigen-ryu, located in Kagoshima Prefecture (old-time Satsuma). That was the "official" ryu of the Shimazu domain, the former daimyo of the area. The Togo Jigen-ryu is, as far I know, strictly a school of swordsmanship but way back when one of headmaster (dunno which one, I'm afraid) created a staff *dance* (bo odori? bo no mai?) for peasants of the area, so they'd be able to defend themselves/adapt the movements if/when the domain was attaced by those nasty Tokugawa types. (Bullies.) I have no other information beyond that and am unable to recall where I read or heard that bit of budo trivia.

Hope this helps.

------------------
Meik Skoss
Koryu.com (http://Koryu.com)

will szlemko
11th June 2000, 07:27
Hi Meik,

Thanks for the info. It does shed light on my question. One of my seniors has heard that at one time the Jigen Ryu had 6 jo kata that were derived from a style referred to as Muso Ryu. Just another interesting tidbit to pass along. Thanks again.

will

JosephBlow
15th June 2000, 10:11
I too have heard the rumor that Matsumura Sokon studied Jigenryu. Do you know how far that has been explored (has anyone looked on Jigenryu's enrollment books if there are any)?

I hadn't heard about the bo "dance." I wonder, is there any yawara too? I had heard that Jigenryu was strictly sword techniques, but I have no idea.

Regards,

Rich B