PDA

View Full Version : Ralph Severe's DVDs

Kamiyama
22nd June 2006, 06:37
“The Attributes of the Kukishin Ryu Bojutsu”

This is a complete over view of the Kukishin ryu Bojutsu system presented by the Dallas Ninjutsu Academy and Ralph J Severe.

Each DVD is approximately 1 hour long with detailed instruction on the hanbo, jo and rokushakubo of the kukishin ryu. It is the most comprehensive DVD collection on this tradition Japanese martial system on the market today.

Order your Installment today off the Dallas Ninjutsu Academy web site, artofcombat.com and remember our multiple film discount order 1 DVD and receive $10 OFF each and every subsequent DVD.

Example of the content included in the complete set of DVDs:
Solo training methods
Different types of kukishin ryu staffs
Postures (and their uses)
Footwork
Rolling, cartwheels, leaping
Types of striking motions
5 Offensive methods
4 Defensive methods
Striking and demonstrations of the use and methods of the strikes against opponents and targets
Training equipment
How to teach the kukishin ryu weaponry system to beginners and advance students
Interviews
Historical hanbo, jo and rokushakubo demonstrations
Standing Self-defense
Ground self-defense
Correct etiquette
Leg locks
Arm locks
Takedowns
Throws
Chokes
Wristlocks
Historical forms with the hanbo 3 ft staff
Historical forms with the jo 4 ft staff
Over 70 Historical forms with the rokushakubo 6 ft staff
Walking cane self-defense
Combative strategy, how to use the staff in a fight
Defense against different weapons
Etc….
Note, by all means this is not the complete list of contents.
This is a no-nonsense, non-BS DVD collection without a lot of talk and wasted space that would put you to sleep.
You get pragmatic combative proven staff fighting techniques by Ralph Severe.
This is a high energy, interesting, great sound, wonderful angles of instruction, great music and above all professionally produced DVD collection.

More DVDs are on their way...
Boshurikenjutsu
Kenjutsu
Bikenjutsu
Kakushibukijutsu
Jissen Taijutsu
Nawa - kusarijutsu

Thank you,
Ralph Severe, Kamiyama

Kamiyama
30th June 2006, 20:07
New Bojutsu DVDs are hot !

ralph severe, kamiyama

Kamiyama
30th June 2006, 20:15
Wonderful production..
Complete outline of how to train.. throw.. and use the boshuriken in self-preservation.
This DVD is basic but very complete on the subject of Boshuriken.

The Definitive Attributes of the Ninja Shurikenjutsu....

ralph severe, kmaiyama

Kamiyama
30th June 2006, 20:22
Wonderful production.. Very professional.
Complete outline of how to train and use the spear for fighting.. from the Kukishin ryu..

This DVD is very complete on the subject of the Secret Spear Techniques of the Kukishin ryu Yari... .

The major part of this DVD is the training forms and their use in combat.

ralph severe, kamiyama

Kamiyama
12th July 2006, 08:48
Now this is cool..
A lot of work went into this Installment..

Kenjutsu - Kenpo - Battojutsu DVD coming soon !

ralph severe, kamiyama

Kamiyama
12th July 2006, 08:53
This is the cream of the DVDs so far I have shot.. it is just way out there..
I enjoyed it..
I'm sure it will be part of a few conversations..

Coming soon..

Ninja Bikenjutsu...

ralph severe, kamiyama

Kamiyama
19th July 2006, 07:32
My goodness..
I have been e-mailed so many times asking what's on each Installment of the new Kukishin ryu DVDs..
OK.. here is a basic break down of the first 3..(1,2,3) I will post the other 3 new ones soon.. (4,5,6).. each running an hour.. or longer.. Thanks..

Kukishin ryu Bojutsu
Installment #1 information
1, Kukishin ryu basic history
2, Interview with Ralph Severe on Kukishin ryu Bojutsu
3, Information on Bojutsu Kamae
4, Movement with Bo, Information on footwork, Variations of footwork, leaping and jumping, Having hanbo and avoiding attacks by use of rolls, falls and leaping, Cartwheels with Bo, How movement in nature is different from Dojo, How to move and avoid danger areas in nature, How to use nature to your advantage.
5, Etiquette with Bo
6, The 9 zones for strikes
7, Bo movement, Hand and Finger articulation, The 5 examples of body and Bo working together to strike with, The wave concept, How to use the Node and Fulcrum with the Bo, How to recovery the bo if it gets knocked out of one hand, The 3 examples of the moving the Bo naturally with the Fulcrum, How to control the direction of the Fulcrum.
8, 9 Historical demonstrations
9, Future Installments of the Kukishin ryu Bojutsu DVDs
………………………………………………………………………………………………..
Kukishin ryu Bojutsu
Installment #2 information
1, Different lengths of the Bo in Kukishin ryu
2, The inside basic throws
3, The outside basic throws
4, The throws using the arm and head
5, Understanding attacks, 2 methods of attacks, 3 methods the human being reacts to attacks, The basic 4 methods of receiving an attack
6, Retrieving the Bo from the ground and drills with partners
7, 4 methods of how the Bo hits a target
8, Part #1 of Kukishin ryu strikes
9, 9 Historical demonstrations
10, Future Installments of the Kukishin ryu Bojutsu DVDs
……………………………………………………………………………………………………
Kukishin ryu Bojutsu
Installment #3 information
1, Kuji no kata
2, Phase #1 Strategy and Fighting methods with the Bo, How to attack, reading the attack and opponent’s intention, setting up an attack, basic drill on these concepts of fighting with the Bo
3, Part #2 of Kukishin ryu strikes
4, Ude garami and variations of Ude Garami
5, Demonstrations of Ude Garami
6, Ashi Garami and variations of Ashi Garami
7, Demonstrations of Ashi Garami
8, 9 Historical demonstrations
9, Future Installments of the Kukishin ryu Bojutsu DVDs

ralph severe, kamiyama

caleqs
21st July 2006, 19:25
For those interested in purchasing, here's the link to follow...

http://www.robertk.com/catalog/

You'll be impressed with the amount of detail shared on these dvds. I particularly like the heiho discussions. Rare to find on DVD series.

Jeff

saru1968
22nd July 2006, 14:18
Has anyone viewed any of these to post an unbiased feedback on them?

:-)

caleqs
24th July 2006, 17:08
You can also go to the ebay store to buy via auction as well as off-the-shelf. There's also some other great martial arts videos for sale (auction) right now.

http://stores.ebay.com/Oyama-Heaven-Man-Earth

Br ,
Jeff

saru1968
24th July 2006, 23:21

I take its a NO then...:-)

It would be nice to get feedback from someone other than a student of his, i mean SOMEONE other then his students must have bought them if they are so great?

Is there one person on a Ebudo that is not a student of his who has bought or viewed it to give a review/feedback.

Kamiyama
25th July 2006, 06:02
Hi Gary,
These just came out..
A few people outside the Academy have gotten them..

These have really not been marketed yet.. I'm sure in time you will hear about them.

Never the less I don't believe you expect me to put out a poor production and a series with little or no information on them.. now do you?

I wouldn't risk it..

I've seen them and they are pretty good.. that is all that matters to me.

ralph severe, kamiyama

Kamiyama
27th July 2006, 06:49
A short DVD demo of the kukishin ryu Bojutsu series has been made.. pick one up for free at the Dallas Ninjutsu Academy during class times..

Thanks

ralph severe, kamiyama

saru1968
27th July 2006, 08:29
Never the less I don't believe you expect me to put out a poor production and a series with little or no information on them.. now do you?

I wouldn't risk it..

I've seen them and they are pretty good.. that is all that matters to me.

ralph severe, kamiyama

err I don't KNOW you Ralph so i would not know either way.

I would indeed hope you have seen them, seeing as your Dojo produced them..:-)

And to be fair, open and balanced how many DVDs on the market have you seen that were not so good, so its a fair question.

saru1968
27th July 2006, 08:32
A short DVD demo of the kukishin ryu Bojutsu series has been made.. pick one up for free at the Dallas Ninjutsu Academy during class times..

Thanks

ralph severe, kamiyama

Not really of too much help in the UK....

How about uploading a 5min clip to youtube?

cheers

Gary

Kamiyama
27th July 2006, 08:59
Thank you for asking.. I will work on the youtube.. good idea..

I'm moving my Academy right now down the street.. so time is very slim.. for the next few weeks.. and I have two seminar in August and September.. busy.. but I will work on it..

I understand you feelings on DVDs - VHS deals..

I feel the DVDs series is a pretty good deal.. it is really 12 hours long.. just broken into 12... 1 hour DVDs.. if you wish to get the complete picture of the methods I teach and of Kukishin ryu Bojutsu.. all 12 give the complete picture..

In my opinion I feel the guys did a really great job understanding no one is above nidan is on the DVDs.. and I've seen a few VHS- DVDs that they were megadans and it was poor stuff..

Yeah it's really hard to get across information on DVD.. really takes a lot of time and pondering how to do it.. right.

I tried to cover what has not been shown.. lots of.... fighting ideas from my experience, training drills, historcal forms, strikes, ground fighting, etc..
I feel is is far better than anythign else Ive seen to date..

I admit no one is perfect.. and by that no DVD is perfect..
I see things in it already I wish I would have changed or made better.. but that's nic-picking it.. much like the manner in which I do my art work..

But not to many people have experience sparring or fighting with sticks.. and I have.. lots of experience.. I try to show a lot of things regarding my experience in these DVDs..

Yeah.. it takes off slowly.. and ends with a lot of stuff over all.. I feel the prices are great.. for what you get..
Over all there is Not a lot of BS chat on them either.. no one wishes to hear me talk..LOL..

Anyway.. the cool stuff is the "bikenjutsu", "boshurikenjutsu" and "what is ninjutsu" DVDs.. if you are looking for wild DVDs..

In the Boshurikenjutsu one I use live targets with protection on attacking me and the students.. throwing live boshuriken, chop sticks, etc.. at them.. to show how it is used for 'real' in 'real time'.. in motion.. under attack..

OK..

In the end.. I'm a old fighter.. not a BSer.. so it comes out with these DVDs..

I really hope everyone enjoys them and gets something from the work the guys did on them.. I'm proud of everyone doing them..

ralph severe, kamiyama

Kamiyama
1st August 2006, 06:54
I believe someone put two demos of the kukishin ryu bojutsu on youtube.com now.. and they are very poor picture quality.

Under "Dallas Ninjutsu Academy"..

I believe they are posted as demo #1 and demo #2.. which is from our demo DVD on the series..

There is a lot missing from that demo.. it doesn't give the amount of information credit..

ralph severe, kamiyama

Kamiyama
12th August 2006, 13:45
Ralph Severe’s DVD series..

Installment #4 Kukishin ryu Bojutsu
Onikudaki
Variations of onikudaki
Fu iri / tsuki iri
Variations of fu iri
Koshi ori
Jigoku dori
Te kudaki
Variations of te kudaki
Ude maki
Gyaku waza, omote, ura, hon, take ori, omote gyaku dori, ura gyaku dori, hon gyaku dori, take ori dori
Awase nage
Variations of awase nage
Examples of the hanbo techniques with these locks/ applications
Strikes #3
Historical demonstrations of the rokushakubo, hanbo and jo
Future installments
…………………………………………………….
Installment #5 Kukishin ryu Bojutsu
Strikes #4
Shime waza
Variations of shime waza
Ude maki komi
Ganseki nage
Kocho dori
Butsumetsu kudaki
Variations of Butsumetsu kudaki
Future installments
…………………………………………………….
Installment #6 Kukishin ryu Bojutsu
Strikes #5 completion of kukishin ryu striking phase
Trapping with the rokushakubo and techniques
Take downs with the hanbo and submissions using the figure 4 wrist wrap
Detailed information on how to teach weaponry to beginner students
How to teach weaponry to beginner students part #2 using other weaponry with the staff
Future installments

ralph severe, kamiyama

gokuslight
15th August 2006, 10:11

I just got volumes 1-3 this past weekend and have finished watching the first volume. As I have come to expect from the Dallas Ninjutsu Academy's exceptionally high standards, this first edition is the same high definition digital video and sound quality that simply sets the bar so high we won't see anything comparable for quite some time. The detail in sound production is so good and crystal clear you can even hear the leaves rustle in the outside movements of demonstrations.

Some of my favorite parts were the very beautiful opening cinematography and music. I enjoyed the rare and candid inside interview with the founder of this methodology. As far as I've seen, only Stephen Hayes has done such personal interviews with these kind of detailed answers, very rare indeed. The DVD menus are nice and allow quick access to various instruction and scenes throughout the contents. Overall I compare this production quality to what I see on the new HD DVDs and Blue Ray DVDs just starting to be released for upper end electronic components. Simply amazing.

The instruction covers many hand and body movements, postures, and has plenty for all levels from covering the basics to advanced technical details. There is even a preview of upcoming volumes and some fight scenes that show combat application of bojutsu in many different scenarios.

I think anyone looking for a quality product that blows all its predecessors away will be very happy with this installment and look forward to future volumes.

saru1968
15th August 2006, 11:19
Josh, where do you train? and for how long?

Woody
15th August 2006, 18:59

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that he trains in Dallas somewhere. ;)

caleqs
15th August 2006, 19:39
We've had some reviews come in from folks who's seen the DVDs. I'm currently in the process of getting their permission to share their reports. I'll post them here when I do.

Br,
Jeff.

gokuslight
16th August 2006, 03:31

My previous training (recent to past) has been with a direct student of Dale Josef of the Jinenkan in Frisco, TX, Luke Molitor with Jigoku Dojo (Bujinkan) in Allen, TX, before that was in Kenpo Karate (Ed Parker's lineage) in Garland,TX and Irving, TX. I also studied Aikido and Aikijujutsu in New York as a teenager and Karate as a child of 7 years old. I am 31 now, so 31-7 equals 24 right? Has it been 24 years continuous training? No, due to my job, moving, family, and life's fate, training has been researched and active as time allows. Currently I am not a member of any dojo as I may have to move across the country for my job.

My previous review is based on comparisons to training with the Jinenkan and Bujinkan methodologys as well as viewing Hatsumi's Kukishin DVDs, and another one of my favorites - Mats Hjelm from Sweden (also Bujinkan). The DVD by the Dallas Ninjutsu Academy contains what Ralph says it contains. There is no BS and they get right into it. It is easy to follow, and I know I probably sound like a broken record, but after viewing other releases on the market with grainy video and poor whisper like sound with feedback blaring through the production, I wanted to convey the quality of the production as it was most impressive.

Kamiyama
16th August 2006, 04:29
Thank you Josh for the very nice reviews of the Kukishin ryu Bojutsu DVDs.

ralph severe, kamiyama

saru1968
16th August 2006, 13:17
My previous training (recent to past) has been with a direct student of Dale Josef of the Jinenkan in Frisco, TX, Luke Molitor with Jigoku Dojo (Bujinkan) in Allen, TX, before that was in Kenpo Karate (Ed Parker's lineage) in Garland,TX and Irving, TX. I also studied Aikido and Aikijujutsu in New York as a teenager and Karate as a child of 7 years old. I am 31 now, so 31-7 equals 24 right? Has it been 24 years continuous training? No, due to my job, moving, family, and life's fate, training has been researched and active as time allows. Currently I am not a member of any dojo as I may have to move across the country for my job.

My previous review is based on comparisons to training with the Jinenkan and Bujinkan methodologys as well as viewing Hatsumi's Kukishin DVDs, and another one of my favorites - Mats Hjelm from Sweden (also Bujinkan). The DVD by the Dallas Ninjutsu Academy contains what Ralph says it contains. There is no BS and they get right into it. It is easy to follow, and I know I probably sound like a broken record, but after viewing other releases on the market with grainy video and poor whisper like sound with feedback blaring through the production, I wanted to convey the quality of the production as it was most impressive.

Ok, sorry i thought you were on of Ralph's students...

Woody
16th August 2006, 14:59
Ok, sorry i thought you were on of Ralph's students...

Me too. :confused:
So sorry.

Ghost Cat
17th August 2006, 12:45
My previous training (recent to past) has been with a direct student of Dale Josef of the Jinenkan in Frisco, TX, Luke Molitor with Jigoku Dojo (Bujinkan) in Allen, TX, before that was in Kenpo Karate (Ed Parker's lineage) in Garland,TX and Irving, TX.

Uh, what was the name of the student of Dale Josef? Why not just give his name? And I do believe that your experience with Luke Molitor was a matter of hours, if even that.

kakuma
17th August 2006, 16:33
To everyone. Josh Kimball contacted me about training on 2 occasions in May 2006 in which I communicated with him via email on 2 occasions and I spoke with him twice via telephone.

He trained with a student of mine located in Frisco,TX by the name of Nicholas Donovan. Mr. Donovan is unranked in the Jinenkan and has been training in the Jinenkan for less than a year. He does however, have other training experience in ninpo from the 80's and 90's. To my knowledge Mr. Kimball has only attended two classes that I am aware of.

This was back in early June. My understanding is that Mr. Kimball discontinued his training due to a family emergency in another state which forced him to leave for several days.

I have made a few attempts to contact Mr. Kimball both via email and by telephone to assess how his personal situtuation was going and if there was anything I could do for him, as well as to get an idea of his continued training in the Jinenkan. To no avail Mr. Kimball has not responded to any of my emails or calls since.

Therefore Mr. Kimball's knowledge of the Jinenkan is also extremely limited.

Kamiyama
17th August 2006, 21:08
I see the subject is on Josh Kimball.
Most likely an agenda by a few to confuse the thread… a very good friend Donny always leads the pack with these thread busters.. and other unskilled people follow his lead.. believing his intentions are honorable..
I’ve seen Josh Kimball too on a few occasions.
He is a tall guy in his 30’s with very dark hair with a somewhat fit physical build.
I believe he lives in the Dallas area in which he said he does.. but who knows because there area so many Ninja in the Texas area these days….. .
My understanding when speaking to him his knowledge of the systems he posted in training in is pretty good. He has trained with Jinenkan, Bujinkan and Genbukan students in the Dallas area from our conversations as well with a few conversations with a few of the people he has trained with in the Dallas area.
I would watch out for him because he might be mad and pretty much a nut and could kill at any time with the knowledge he has from his encounters with these system students.
Warning.. be careful !

I know that Josh called me and told me he ate the DVDs I gave him.. because of his lack of knowledge in the kukishin ryu Bojutsu...

I believed him.. be careful !

ralph severe, kamiyama

saru1968
17th August 2006, 21:34

Hi Josh

Just to clarify...

How much actual training in 'Ninjutsu' arts apart from the short periods mentioned do you have...?

I'm really looking for a review from someone with experience of the ART to give an unbais review...

cheers, anyhow.

Jason Chambers
17th August 2006, 21:56
This thread is drifting a tad... I thought the issue was Mr. Severe's DVDs.

As to Mr. Kimball's Genbukan training (in Dallas), you may want to clarify whether or not this was "with a dojo". Mr. Kohler has said that Mr. Kimbal was not a student of the Kusakage Dojo.

As far as to this post being closed, the Admin here has decided to allow it to remain for now. Your "productive participation" would be most appreciate.

gokuslight
18th August 2006, 04:46
I must agree with Mr. Chambers. Please let's re-direct the conversation back to the topic of this thread. If anyone is that interested in me or my past, which I have no issue explaining or discussing, then please do us all a favor and contact me via private message. Warning: I may the most boring person you ever meet.

As to the Genbukan training, I have only trained with a former Genbukan instructor. I have never been in or actively trained under the Genbukan. Thank you Mr. Chamber's for helping us get back on topic.

Ghost Cat
18th August 2006, 08:24
If anyone is that interested in me or my past, which I have no issue explaining or discussing, then please do us all a favor and contact me via private message.

In post #23 of this thread you stated,

My previous review is based on comparisons to training with the Jinenkan and Bujinkan methodologys

At which point your experience in the Jinenkan and Bujinkan became open for discussion. If you had really not wanted your past experiences to be discussed, you should not have stated that your opinion was based on experiences in those orginizations. And since it turns out the Dale Joseph says that you have no real experience in the Jinenkan and you did not get past the interview stage with Luke Molitor of the Bujinkan it seems that you have no experience to mention despite what you have tried to portray.

I am sure that I will probably get a nasty comment for pointing this out, but it is important for people to know something about the person making reviews of things sometimes. And you have a lack of experience in the Takamatsu-den tradition but a tendency to paint things as if you do.

Perhaps someone else whose objectivity is a known quantity can post their review of the DVDs.

saru1968
18th August 2006, 11:21
This thread is drifting a tad... I thought the issue was Mr. Severe's DVDs.

As to Mr. Kimball's Genbukan training (in Dallas), you may want to clarify whether or not this was "with a dojo". Mr. Kohler has said that Mr. Kimbal was not a student of the Kusakage Dojo.

As far as to this post being closed, the Admin here has decided to allow it to remain for now. Your "productive participation" would be most appreciate.

Hey, Jason

Its a valid question.

I'm looking for a review( of Ralph's DVD, the topic) from an experienced student. Josh seemed to indicate he was, so my question is still valid.

Have you seen the DVDs to comment? otherwise its more thread drift..

Someone, somewhere, experienced and not connected to the Dojo producing the said DVDs must had bought them and i'm looking for an unbais review.

Woody
18th August 2006, 14:58
Hey, Jason

Its a valid question.

I'm looking for a review( of Ralph's DVD, the topic) from an experienced student. Josh seemed to indicate he was, so my question is still valid.

Have you seen the DVDs to comment? otherwise its more thread drift..

Someone, somewhere, experienced and not connected to the Dojo producing the said DVDs must had bought them and i'm looking for an unbais review.

I agree with Gary.

gokuslight
21st August 2006, 07:25
Since there was so much love and respect from the first review I posted, it is obvious that another was needed to give certain individuals something to criticize or talk about...

After viewing the 2nd installment, the Dallas Ninjutsu Academy really picks up the pace in this volume. The DVD begins with basic hanbo throws such as kihon omote/ura nage waza and kihon ude-atama nage waza. It moves into the understanding of attacks through concepts of attacking and being hit as well as kihon uke nagashi no yonpo waza. The study of variations in retrieving the bo are discussed and training exercises on this subject are demonstrated. Next is yonpo uchi gata which discusses and shows types of thrusting, rapping motion (using the tip of the stick), smashing, and whipping (a snapping long-range type of hit). The DVD's final chapter shows kobojutsu no geiko sabaki gata.

Ghost Cat
21st August 2006, 08:51
Since there was so much love and respect from the first review I posted, it is obvious that another was needed to give certain individuals something to criticize or talk about...

You seem rather bitter about the fact that it was revealed that you gave an impression that was not really accurate about your relationships and experience in the subject. It is not anyone else's fault other than yourself for pointing out that things were not as you presented them. Nor is it a conspiracy to question your honesty and relationship to the producer now that we have questions about your integrity.

I get the impression that many people would like a review of the tapes by someone who they know has real experience in the subject matter and they know for a fact are not somehow working for the producer's interest. I am afraid you do not fit the bill. But that is no reason to get bitter and nasty over the matter.

Kamiyama
22nd August 2006, 04:46
Thank you Josh for your reviews on the DVDs.
I would assume by now everyone knows you don't have a menkyo kaiden in Kukishin ryu...
Yes, Installment #1 was an opener to Kukishin ryu Bojutsu..
My intentions were to open with the base where I felt few have touched on before..
Yes.. a lot of the kamae and sabaki were not new.. but shown in a very clear manner..
I did this because of the travels over the past 15 years teaching the Kukishin ryu Bojutsu system to others and found many had no idea of the asahi sabaki or basic ideas of te sabaki.. and the points whwre the bo moves naturally from one point to another..
More or less I was shocked at how many upper ranked Japanese Budoka were totally lost.. 95% of the people I have seen in the past 15 years are clueless to the base of Kukishin ryu Bojutsu and have only explored the 25 sabaki gata and hanbo gata... never the less..
Installment #2 just picked up where #1 left off.. but went into more complex ideas of the Kukishin ryu Bojutsu system.
My goal was to get past the base between 1 to 6 and get into the more fighting stuff in the later Installments..
I hope you as well as everyone else gets a lot from these DVDs..

Keep up the NASTY work.. oooooh.

ralph severe, kamiyama

gokuslight
22nd August 2006, 09:43
After viewing installment 3 in the Kukishin Ryu Bojutsu series, one thing I am beginning to notice, and failed to mention before, is the training methodology shown that includes combat application and power development. There are some unique ideas presented supporting these examples presented in the material.

This 3rd DVD begins with the 9 historical forms of the Kuji No Kata. From there it moves on into heiho or strategy with the bo. It shows breaking down this strategy into surveying the situation, decision making, and action. The next section covers an explanation of the strikes - Uchi Gata: shomen uchi or komi uchi, morote uchi, shiho bo furi gata, gyaku shiho bo furi gata, and ushiro tsuki uchi. A chapter of variations of ude garami and ashi garami is shown followed by some kobojutsu no geiko sabaki gata. Each DVD also finishes with an upcoming preview of future installments.

saru1968
22nd August 2006, 14:07
I hope you as well as everyone else gets a lot from these DVDs..

ralph severe, kamiyama

Ralph,

Anychance any of these 'others' that have purchased these dvds that are not your students or linked to you in any form and have experience in the dvd topic could post a review?

cheers

Josh, you don't fit the bill so save you fingers.

Are they sold on ebay? as i could track down the buyers and ask them...

cheers

Gary

ps..or failing that send me a copy and if its good i'll buy it if not return postage paid.

Kamiyama
22nd August 2006, 15:52
Thanks Josh...

Gary...
I do not deal with how the DVDs are going out, The DVD are going out in different ways...
Hum.. in regards to our search for knowledge and truth during our short life time... I would lower my ego and fear some and ask Josh about them..

ralph severe, kamiyama

saru1968
22nd August 2006, 22:56
Thanks Josh...

Gary...
I do not deal with how the DVDs are going out, The DVD are going out in different ways...
Hum.. in regards to our search for knowledge and truth during our short life time... I would lower my ego and fear some and ask Josh about them..

ralph severe, kamiyama

Hi Ralph, thanks for the reply.

Its still a valid and fair request...

Ego and fear do not play a part, i just want someone experienced in the subject matter, Josh's training does not reflect this, he could of course give me his thoughts of it based on his generic martial arts experience but thats not what i want.

Hell, i'm ten years in and ranked Sandan and i would not veture any expertise in the matter.

I'm not being difficult, as for eveything in life i don't just accept someone's word that something is good and valid unless that person has the experience to tell me so.

I even try and catch out the shop assistants by dropping terminology and if they look blank i ask to see someone else, the internet is even worse, where anyone can say what they want.

Kamiyama
23rd August 2006, 00:19
Gary, I agree.. Its still a valid and fair request... but a request for what is the question?
Are you looking to discredit him or find fault in his reply.. or what?
I feel if my mom gave a reply on Bojutsu from a DVD then it’s a reply.. nothing more or less.. it’s still an opinion.
Does she have experience with Kukishin ryu?
Hum.. no.. but I would say 75% or better of the readers and ranked members of the Japanese martial arts don’t either.
I feel Josh has enough experience with martial arts as well as life to have an opinion and more or less most likely a better opinion than most people I know in the martial arts giving opinions on DVDs…
But Gary this is my opinion.. does it count.. not really and do you care.. most likely not.
The funny thing is the DVD thread..
It’s about DVDs not Josh Kimball.
Josh was nice enough to give his opinion about what he got from me.
OK.
Now it’s a witch hunt to kill Josh’s opinion on them..
Kind of dirty.. not tasteful.. and in my opinion BS.
Why not ask about the DVDs to Josh and see if he has an opinion you would like to hear from him first before attacking him?
I believe you understand and no more needs to be said about this ‘Josh” deal.
Ok.

Again if you missed it..
Ask Josh QUESTIONS not attack him..

Thanks
ralph severe, kamiyama

Juan Perez
23rd August 2006, 01:11
I believe you understand and no more needs to be said about this ‘Josh” deal.

I agree completely. I've come to visit this thread everyday to get an insight (whether good or bad) on Mr. Severe's DVDs and I keep reading BS about something unrelated.

PS - I have zero expertise or experience in Kukishin-Ryu. My expertise lies somewhere else. If I purchase DVDs on the Russian Spetnaz and then give a review on them, I guess I'd be out of my league as I was never Russian, or a Spetnaz. :rolleyes:

George Kohler
23rd August 2006, 01:22
Josh has been open with the questions on his background. Looks like he is trying to find the best training for his needs. In the long-run, he may later become a student of Ralph's, but he doesn't have to be an expert to write a review. Let's move on from Josh's experience and see if anyone reviews the tape.

Jason Chambers
23rd August 2006, 02:11
Well, if the trailers on YouTube are any indication of production quality, they look to be pretty well made. Mr. Severe is certainly quite handy with a staff in his hands... :D

Ghost Cat
23rd August 2006, 06:22
Josh has been open with the questions on his background.

I have to disagree. If you read what he originally wrote, you would think that he was a student of the Bujinkan under Luke Molitor, the Jinenkan under Dale Joseph and the Genbukan. It turns out that is not the case and he barely lasted hours in at least one of the people he lists as a teacher. So, considering that he has distorted things a bit at least once, his stated relationship with the guy who is selling the DVDs is a natural question.

And his ability to make the comments he does is another natural question. Since he has not seen much of anything of the Bujinkan or other arts, let along their bojutsu, how can he make the comment,

There are some unique ideas presented supporting these examples presented in the material.

Unique inmplies you can't find it anywhere else. But considering Josh's lack of experience with the subject matter, how the heck does he know that some other group was not the source of these ideas? And if they are unique, then they must be considered untested since Ralph Severe can't show proof that he used a rokushakubo in a real situation severe enough to require police intervention and the records that would go with it.

If Josh had not made the comment.

My previous review is based on comparisons to training with the Jinenkan and Bujinkan methodologys

and instead posted his review as someone who has no experience in Japanese bojutsu then people would look at it in that context. But since he never even trained in bojutsu in the Bujinkan from what I hear, people are correct to question why they should trust him or his experience.

So some people like Saru1968 have been asking for someone to review this tape with experience and relationship that is not dependent on Ralph Severe. It seems a very valid question to me. My wife could give a review of my book, but people would think that she is biased. That same type of bias seems to be a case here.

Ghost Cat
23rd August 2006, 07:14
Well, if the trailers on YouTube are any indication of production quality, they look to be pretty well made. Mr. Severe is certainly quite handy with a staff in his hands... :D

I had not been aware that his stuff was availible for viewing on youtube until you wrote the above. So I went and searched for it and found a few including the following.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmGCMKDzOc8

Now, based on the above, I am not impressed with the contents of the tape.

When Someya started to teach me the rokushakubo from the beggining, one thing he stressed was that the knees were the key. In Taiji I was told that the knees never go forward of the toes. But Someya told me the exact opposite for training in bojutsu. In real life, who knows what you will do. But in training you try to build habits. And that habit is that you try to build for bojutsu (according to the Japanese) is to use your knees as much as possible.

It is a common problem in the Bujinkan that the upper body is used more than the lower legs. This problem is more pronounced when weapons are used and this tape is a prime example of it. If you have great upper body strength you can get away in training with only using the arms- but the standard I have been told to hold is to use the entire body through the stick and not just the arms.

In many cases, the knees of the guys using the rokushakubo are canted off to the side so that even if they did bend their knees more as per the way the rokushakubo is used in Japan, they would go off on a tangent instead of at their target. The entire emphisis is on the upper body with very little use of the lower body and especially the knees. And the use of the knees is key. When you get older you can stop trying to build habits because you have them and raise your stances and not bend the knees as much. But in the beggining, the standard I was told was to use them as much as possible.

This is just one part, but one that everyone watching the clip can see for themselves. I realize that many people may take my words with a grain of salt and I do not begrudge them. But I will find a sense of amusement with anyone who said that the past of other reviewers should not be relevant but somehow think my background and realtionship is revelvant. As I said, the points I made about the knees can be seen if you pay attention while watching the clip and you need not rely on my description of the clip.

George Kohler
23rd August 2006, 07:28
I have to disagree. If you read what he originally wrote, you would think that he was a student of the Bujinkan under Luke Molitor, the Jinenkan under Dale Joseph and the Genbukan. It turns out that is not the case and he barely lasted hours in at least one of the people he lists as a teacher. So, considering that he has distorted things a bit at least once, his stated relationship with the guy who is selling the DVDs is a natural question.

He never did say he trained under Dale, but he did say that he trained with a direct student of Dale. I would guess this would be Nick Donovan, who also use to belong to the Genbukan back in the early 90's under Chadwick Minge. He also never stated that he trained in the Genbukan, but with a former Genbukan member (Nick Donovan). I believe Ralph is the one that said that he trained in the Genbukan. Even you stated that he trained with Luke, albeit only for a few hours.

Sure it is natural to question his training. That is why I allowed the questioning to go on. So far he did not listed Ralph as his teacher, so I will assume that he bought the videos in hope of finding the best system suited for him. That's what I did and I am still in that organization. Anyway, I'm not as sceptical as some people and I usually give everyone the benefit of the doubt.

Anyway, I do not want this thread to be about "Josh". He wrote his review for others to see. If no one wants to believe him, I'm sure he is ok about it. Let's move on so that other members will not be too scared about writing reviews. I will not close this thread, but if this continues I will prune some posts.

Jason Chambers
23rd August 2006, 13:32
I had not been aware that his stuff was availible for viewing on youtube until you wrote the above. So I went and searched for it and found a few including the following.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmGCMKDzOc8..................As I said, the points I made about the knees can be seen if you pay attention while watching the clip and you need not rely on my description of the clip.

Had to down grade to dial-up so my days as a YouTube junkie are over. Anyway, not to defend or support Ralph, but isn't what he is doing his "interpretation" of what he learned?

saru1968
23rd August 2006, 13:35
George,

Cheers for the reply.

No malintent on my part...

Your in Texas?

Could you review it?

cheers

Ghost Cat
23rd August 2006, 14:17
Anyway, not to defend or support Ralph, but isn't what he is doing his "interpretation" of what he learned?

Well if he was, it would be better had he called it "Dallas Ninjutsu academy bojutsu" rather than using the Kukishin- ryu name as he did. As such, I think that viewing it as a Kukishin-ryu style of DVD is appropriate and it differs in many respects to the ideals set down by the Soke's of the different traditions in Japan that use that name.

caleqs
24th August 2006, 21:05
I've seen all six and I really believe that it is a great body of work. There's a lot of information in there. I've really enjoyed watching them and adding the information to my background.

Jeff.

saru1968
26th August 2006, 14:57
I've seen all six and I really believe that it is a great body of work. There's a lot of information in there. I've really enjoyed watching them and adding the information to my background.

Jeff.

Which is fine but i'm still looking for an unbais review..

Kamiyama
28th August 2006, 00:23
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8XO4lRRiWE

another very short clip of the ""historical authenic"" KUKISHIN RYU Bojutsu DVDs.. on youtube.... as well as a few other clips.. enjoy !

Oh there is one on a Sunday training breaking stuff too.. if you can find it..
well they are under Dallas Ninjutsu..

ralph severe, kamiyama

saru1968
28th August 2006, 11:57
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8XO4lRRiWE

another very short clip of the ""historical authenic"" KUKISHIN RYU Bojutsu DVDs.. on youtube.... as well as a few other clips.. enjoy !

Oh there is one on a Sunday training breaking stuff too.. if you can find it..
well they are under Dallas Ninjutsu..

ralph severe, kamiyama

cheers Ralph.

I had a look round and found Jeff, i was in Japan with him last September.

Kamiyama
30th August 2006, 05:37
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7HS4SE5qdM

Another clip on youtube by the Dallas Ninjutsu Academy students..

ralph severe, kamiyama

Kamiyama
6th September 2006, 20:46
Sorry, anyone ordering Installment #1, #2. #3, #4.. we are totally sold out.
More will be in stock September 25th.

Thanks for your understanding..

More youtube clips on the way..
Thanks for all the nice e-mails and support.

ralph severe, kamiyama

Kamiyama
8th September 2006, 04:58
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RHfQwbnljI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvI_cd3V-fg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk8cdiWna9k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwU67f2dUrw

New shipment of Installment #1, #2, #3, #4 are in.. get them while they are hot..

ralph severe, kamiyama

Kamiyama
11th September 2006, 06:05
My DVDs are going pretty good on e-bay...
I'm surprised at the number of people around the world who see this thread and order them...
E-budo looks like the place to look for this type of information.
Pretty much all the DVDs are shot up to #10 with bits and pieces needed for the last two.
My students or the co-partners.. Dallas Ninjutsu Academy members want to move on to the other DVDs we have been working on...

Yeah, the first run of 1,2,3, ran out.. wow.. The first run of Kukishin ryu Bojutsu DVDs 4,5,6,7 are going fast too.
By the way on e-bay they are selling cheaper than what is posted on my web site...

Thanks everyone for the support.

I was surprised at Josh Kimball coming in this past week with interest in signing up now because of what he saw at other Japanese Bugei schools and the new Kukishin Ryu DVDs.. and I believe he will begin his training as a member this coming week.

Way to go Josh.

ralph severe, kamiyama

saru1968
11th September 2006, 09:29
Link please? or item(s) number

caleqs
11th September 2006, 11:14
Hi Folks,

Just a reminder, volumes 1-6 can be purchased individually as well as in packages here:

Thanks,
Jeff

saru1968
11th September 2006, 15:42
Hi Folks,

Just a reminder, volumes 1-6 can be purchased individually as well as in packages here:

Thanks,
Jeff

Have you sold many as i could message one of the buyers for a review.

caleqs
11th September 2006, 16:36
Hi Gary,

Yes, we have. I've asked some folks for reviews that we can post, but I have not heard back yet. I will touch base with them again this week and see if they'd be willing to receive mail from folks.

Jeff.

caleqs
11th September 2006, 19:47
Hi,

I got ahold of Robert Bessler who had promised a review for me. He's purchased volumes 1 and 2 and is looking forward to buying more in the series.

Here's a link to his webpage as well...

http://www.wmbudokan.com/

"The Kukishin Ryu DVD series by the Dallas Ninjutsu Academy are professional and informative. The skill level of those demonstrating is easily seen in the realistic application of the traditional material. From the handling of the bo and hanbo to the ukemi with weapons during the fast paced combative demonstrations, it is great to see this level of ability and sense of realism. This is consistent with the level of skill I require within my own Dojo"
- Robert Bessler, Bujinkan Judan -

Hope this helps.

Br,
Jeff.

Kamiyama
11th September 2006, 20:08
#7 Kukishin ryu Bojutsu DVD break down..

Part one, 13 Kukishin ryu rokushankubo gata from the shoden, chuden and okuden section.
There is a brief demo and instruction of these forms and the rest of these, 14, are also shown in a later installment.

Part two, Basic Grappling with the hanbo after being taken down to the ground.

Part three, Kukishin ryu Bojutsu keiko, training with the bo phases 3,4,5.

Part four, Leg, ankle locks with the hanbo after you take them down to the ground.

Part five, Basic walking cane defense, how to use the cane to receive attacks using all parts of the cane.

Part six, Historical demo examples of the Kukishin ryu Bojutsu.

Part seven, Future installments.

Thanks,

ralph severe, kamiyama

Kamiyama
13th September 2006, 22:32
The infamous Josh Kimball.. everyone talked about !

His travels around the DFW are to many martial arts schools.. and now he's here with us.. I didn't think he was real.. but here's proof.. LOL.

For those following this thread about the updates on the new DVDs.. ... DVDs 7 and 8 are wonderful.. they are ready for shipment...
We are working towards the new series of DVDs too..
The new project will be a couple at the same time..
‘What is Ninjutsu’, ‘Sojutsu’ and ‘Boshurikenjutsu’.

ralph severe, kamiyama

Kamiyama
26th September 2006, 10:28
New Installment #8 is ready to go.. !

What's in this Installment?

#1, Hanbo Goshinjutsu, examples of self defense with the hanbo Kamiyama style..

#2, How to teach and train with the staff.. phase #6

#3, How to teach and train with the staff.. phase #7

#4, Hanbo lock flow on the ground

#5, Jojutsu Gata, the attacking 9 forms of the Jo..

#6, Future Installments

Enjoy..

ralph severe, kamiyama

Kamiyama
1st October 2006, 21:49
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBK4Mg2ItBg

New clip...

ralph severe, kamiyama

siphus
3rd October 2006, 02:35
I have to admit.... Some of your buyu (students' ?) taijutsu is pretty damn impressive.... Although I've only seen the youtube clips, the training looks pretty damn good too. I wish I had kendo armor...............

trevorg
3rd October 2006, 15:36
Have you sold many as i could message one of the buyers for a review.

Hi Gary

I have no interest in this thread whatsoever, I was just passing through, but I just thought I would say that I can't but help stand in admiration of your persistent voice in the wilderness.

Osu
Trevor

Kamiyama
6th October 2006, 01:37
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7_KXybvvys

A treat from the past...

Sean Askew
Eddie Moore
Don Smith

Also I will be posting more older clips of Hatsumi and other well know Ryu-ha members from the past in the future.. enjoy..

ralph severe, kamiyama

Kamiyama
6th October 2006, 04:36
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSCygiAqtjc

A treat from the past.. 1987..

ralph severe, kamiyama

Kamiyama
9th October 2006, 00:46
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5VWn1iBhbM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtG55-IhVqU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TinFLhnxG7Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vs76bAoljk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8U8f7xMQtQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mHcERudb3E

Funny stuufffff from the Dallas Ninjutsu Academy..

Ralph Severe, kamiyama

Mattymaru
10th October 2006, 21:48
youve got some hot girls that train haha :karatekid

Kamiyama
14th October 2006, 17:00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M5ZKc8FJ5U

ralph severe, kamiyama