PDA

View Full Version : Sanchin Kata with horse stance?!?!?!??

bartfast
28th June 2006, 20:54
HI! I've searched everywhere for information concerning the Sanchin that I was once taught. The styles the system was based on were supposed to be Uechi-ryu, and Shotokan primarily. The Sanchin was performed with the typical testing of strength and breathing and focus etc. (shiai?) Additionally, Sanchin is the most important kata, and is tested for every kyu and dan, and practiced every class.
I have never found another style that has a Sanchin remotely like it. It begins by stepping into Sanchin-dachi (fairly wide, with one foot quite far in front of other) and then a double upward "wedge" block (to break a choke). from there a fast punch with slow withdraw. step foward. circle block/slowpunch. repeat several times (with a couple turns). all punches are closed fist and slow except the first fast one. then stand feet together and place right arm straight out left hand on right shoulder, slide left hand along right arm with open palm until the left arm is straight in front of you (clearing motion). repeat other side. then you drop to a kibadachi 45 degrees left with double down blocks over your thighs and then perform a circle block and double palm heels (one hand up, one hand down in a thrusting push) repeat several times back and forth with 45 degree angles alternating left and right forward and back. end standing with one fist covered by an open hand.

sorry that is a long and sloppy description. Has anyone ever seen anything like it or know the origin? the school it came from is Zen-Do-Kai in NY state. they do not consider that the name of their style however, just the association. Michael Campos is the head sensei. there are other stylistic anomolies i've encountered as I've studied at more "pure" or "traditional" dojo.
like stances and kicks etc. But the Sanchin is a real head scratcher.
thanks for reading this confusing mess!!

-D. Fiorello

Prince Loeffler
28th June 2006, 21:14
Links and Vids would facilitate your inquiery faster.

bartfast
28th June 2006, 21:31
thats the problem!! there are none! http://www.zdkusa.com/NEWS.htm
there is a link to the school.... but it doesn't help. I tried emailing them, but got no reply. They imply that their Sanchin is of uechi origin... but it clearly is not. I'm just wondering where it came from?

PictonMA
28th June 2006, 23:01
Part of what you are describing is reminiscent of sanchin from Uechi Ryu or Goju Ryu while part of what you are describing is also similar to the Steel Sinew Fist (forgive the spelling - Hick Ying kune / Tsi Tsing Kune) from the Five Animals Form Fist style taught in Canada through the Chong cousins back in the 60s and 70s (similar in many ways to Hung Gar).

gmanry
29th June 2006, 16:58
Zendo-kai that I have had contact with in the past was a mish mash of karate schools with some of its members engaging in some pretty bizarre fantasy behavior (samurai titles and othe nonsense).

Not sure if it is part of the same group. The practitioner I knew was way over confident in his capabilities and you would have thought his instructors could fly to hear him talk.

bartfast
28th June 2007, 17:10
I'm surprised there hasn't been more response to this one...Sanchin is usually a much more popular topic....

Has anyone ever seen or heard of the version of Sanchin described above? I am very curious to see where it came from. It was not reported to be invented by the head of the school, it was said to be uechi-ryu. clearly it is not though... I cannot find any video of it performed this way, nor any mention of it anywhere else. Anyone have any ideas? Anyone here study under a Zen-do-kai school?

Nyuck3X
28th June 2007, 17:55
His website indicates that his teacher was Ted Kresge. After a little
investgation, I found that Kresge was a direct student of Uechi. So
this is my conclusion. If the Uechi people do not do sanchin like you
and Kresge's people does not, then Campos has to be the one
who changed it. You can confirm this if you can contact someone
who has a copy of Kresge's book. Try www.uechi-ryu.com.

Peace.

Chris McLean
28th June 2007, 19:29
I have known of the ZDK people here in Houston for years and they have always been up front with me that their modifications where from Campos himself. I have met him on occasion as well. It looks like a design form with a few moves from the three Sanchin I have seen Goju, Ishinryu, Uechi, with some Seiunchin and Tensho thrown in too. I dont have a clue why he named it Sanchin but its a form designed by Campos. The style in general looks like modified american karate based on modified shotokan kata. The sport karate leagues have a habbit of doing this with kata.

bartfast
28th June 2007, 20:01
I agree, it is definately American Karate (if there is such a thing...) with a strong emphasis on tournaments (though Campos himself teaches a lot of self defense and police tactics as well)
And just to be clear...I am not attacking or criticizing the Kata, or the school...I am just fascinated by Kata in general, and that one has stood out in my mind for years. Additionally, Campos is a top notch martial artist for sure, and everyone at his school are very skilled and talented.

ZachZinn
29th June 2007, 21:28
Hey, take a look at some of the chinese style video files on www.goju-ryu.info and see if any of them fits the bill.

As someone mentioned above the sanchin you're referring to sounds like a mix of Goju Sanchin and maybe one of it's Chinese predecessors,

i've seen a video of (I think) feeding crane sanchin and it opened and closed with a kibadachi - type stance and opened handed "block" movements.

bartfast
6th July 2007, 18:19
I emailed the head of the ZDK system recently and inquired about their form of Sanchin. Campos sensei said that it was in fact unique to their school and combined elements of Goju, and Uechi and accomplished the same intention (to paraphrase).

Chris McLean
17th July 2007, 15:37
Mr. Campos is a real gentleman and his representatives in Houston Mr. Gifford, and Mr. Kirkpatrick are as well. I have known them over 20 years they have been continuously active in the martial arts and are supportive of local community charitable organizations.

dusty1
17th July 2007, 16:25
I Used to train with a few people that Studied Kyokkushinkai and one of the Kata in their cylubus was Sanchin I have also seen it in Renshinkai,Check out this link its not quite the same as you descibe but not far off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KprSXB25BDA&mode=related&search=

P Martin

gmanry
17th July 2007, 19:46
I have also seen this form of sanchin practiced in yoshukai karate, two turns, finish with similar mawashi uke found in tensho.