PDA

View Full Version : Toyama Ryu Kumitachi Kata

John Driscoll
30th June 2006, 05:40
While reviewing the kenjutsu videos on You Tube.com (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sAyrQbuZjU&search=toyama%20ryu), I found a video of a kumitachi demonstration represented to be Toyama Ryu Iaido. The kumitachi demonstration was performed in front of Nagoya Castle on May 5, 2006, with filming credited to Steve Delaney. The kata appears similar to the Nakamura Ryu kumitachi kata, but there are some significant differences. In particular, both performers run towards each other, rather than the controlled approach used in Nakamura Ryu, and several of the forms involve contact between the swords in the form of what appear to be morotetori ukenagashi and the use of the mune to “sweep” the opponents sword aside to enter and perform a kesagiri. I would not have paid much attention to the video, except in the final segment of the film BUDO – The Art of Killing, there are clips of Nakamura Taizaburo (Nakamura Ryu) and Tokutomi Tasaburo (Morinaga ha Toyama Ryu) performing what appears to be similar kumitachi forms without the “running” approach. Can anyone shed any light on the kumitachi kata appearing on You Tube.com and in BUDO? Thanks in advance for any information. Regards, JED.

Brian Owens
30th June 2006, 05:52
Steve Delaney is an active member here -- User Name Steve Delaney -- so a Private Message to him should yield some answers.

HTH.

John Driscoll
30th June 2006, 22:42
Brian -

Thanks! I've sent a message to Steve and hope he will be able to provide some details.

I'm interested in any available historical/evolutionary information regarding the kumitachi. It is particularly interesting, since I originally saw it being performed by Nakamura and Tokutomi in BUDO and dismissed the forms as a "dramatic" invention for the film. I'd be curious if anyone has information regarding the relationship of these individuals. Regards, JED.