PDA

View Full Version : Elbow Problems

neilc
2nd June 2000, 14:11
I'm new to ju-jutsu (9 months training) and I love it, however I'm starting to suffer again from tennis elbow that I had many years earlier. What I think is casuing it is ukemi practice exerting a force on the forearm and tendons around the elbow. Has anyone else come across this problem? Is it due to bad technique? (I hope so as then it can be rectified) Does anyone have any solutions or know where I could get help? Thanks in advance.

MarkF
3rd June 2000, 05:58
If it does happen only/start with ukemi, does it hurt when hitting the mat, or is it from pushing yourself up from taking a fall? If it does come from striking the mat, you may try to absorb more of the fall along the entire body, instead of the arm. Which ukemi excercises are you doing when you feel pain? If it is "tennis elbow," I would think it is an overuse problem. If it is that, then you may try two things: when doing warm-up ukemi out of a roll, don't push up with the arm so much when you stand. Take a knee, instead, but without more information, it is hard to say.

------------------
Mark F. Feigenbaum

simonk
7th June 2000, 15:46
OK - I'm going to guess that it is your right elbow that hurts, but you're doing most of your breakfalling on the left?

If this is the case then you need to tell Tori to ease up on his locks, and I'd advise wearing a support bandage on that elbow.

If that isn't the case then I'll just shut up (except to say invest in a support bandage - I train in ju-jitsu and at some atge someone is going to get carried away with their locks, for whatever reason -adrenaline rush, tiredness etc - and your elbow will get damaged)

Simon