PDA

View Full Version : Best internet shopping for imo jochu

ichibyoshi
17th July 2006, 08:00
Any fans on e-budo of the sublime sweet-potato drink? In spite of being super popular in Japan at the moment, it seems it's rarely exported. Does anyone know of a site that sells a good range of honkaku shochu, pref from Kagoshima?

b

Neil Yamamoto
17th July 2006, 18:48
I have yet to find anywhere online selling the honkaku shochu and I've looked quite a bit over the last couple years. I think this is due to what distributors view as a limited demand for the product. The closest I can find is the Korean Jinro soju which is not even close to imo jochu in any way except being made from potato too.

My suggestion, do some hunting around your hometown as to alcohol distributors. Just ask your local shop where they get their sake from. Then look the distributor up and ask them directly about importing a case to a dealer- a single bottle will get you no response or laughed at - for you. So expect to have to buy a full case. Any less is not worth their time.

You will then have to buy it from that retail shop since distributors can't sell to the general public. And expect to pay quite a bit for this as well. A case is typically 12 bottles, my guess is a bottle is at least $20 per bottle.

Good luck in the search!

ichibyoshi
18th July 2006, 11:42
Thanks Neil. I'm surprised no-one has stepped in and plugged the hole in the market. There's a NYTimes (http://www.jetaany.org/community/viewtopic.php?t=753&) article saying how it's the coolest thing in Japan right now in that way that makes you think its about to become the coolest thing in NYC. I'll pester my local Japanese grocer.

cheers

b

PS - My local Japanese grocer does stock shochu from Kagoshima but it's that weird Satsuma Shiranami "Japansch Zaky" (?), actually mugijochu. I've got this theory about Japan... that it's the only country in the world whose 'export quality' means crap and who keep the best stuff for themselves. Have you ever tried to get good quality sencha? 90% of what's available in Aus is AWFUL!