PDA

View Full Version : Sai Weight

Tamashii
20th July 2006, 15:12
Hello everyone,

I'm in the market for a new pair of sai for competition use. The current pair I use for bo tai sai are heavy, and not really suited for competition use. For those of you with any knowledge on the subject, which of the following are the lightest?

standard (9/16") energy sai of agena - www.weaponsconnection.com
stainless steel sai from shureido - www.shureidousa.com
stainless steel sai from murasaki - www.murasakikobudo.com

ryukyu2000
20th July 2006, 23:28
Tamashii-san:

What make sai do you use today? I have both weapons connection (great for kumi) and shureido (great all round sai). I have seen murasaki kobudo and would recommend that you contact Gordon Shell Sensei who owes Murasaki because you can likely get a customized pair to meet your needs.

I can say that none of these are 'light weight' specials for tournament use only.

Andy Morris
Delmar, NY USA

Victor Smith
21st July 2006, 01:32
Well if you want light weight ones....

Many decades ago it was known some tournament sai competitors used to go to a tin smith to have tin sai made for competition. They used to go to extreme lengths not to let others handle their weapons.

In part, even before wushu weight weapons came into existence, judges began to examine all weapons to insure they were real.

Of course somewhere along the way pencil thin bo took over too, ones that bent like rubber...but that's another story.

Tamashii
21st July 2006, 02:45
I have a heavy stock pair from tiger claw, and then a custom forged pair from a local blacksmith. The custom pair are relatively light, but not very good quality.