PDA

View Full Version : Traditional karate dojos in Manhattan?

bitprophet
20th July 2006, 19:01
Hi all, new user here (been browsing the forums for about a week, though :)). I'm looking into picking up martial arts again (did a small amount of TKD and aikido in college) and have narrowed it down to either Shorinji Kempo or some style of karate. While I was easily able to find the main SK branch dojo in NYC, it's a bit harder finding karate dojos, for the usual reasons (large noise-to-signal ratio).

Complicating things is the fact that I think I'd prefer a style that tends to mix hard/soft, and which is more traditionally oriented and less competition-oriented. So Shotokan and Kyokushin are out, and ones I've found that sound interesting include Goju-ryu, Wado-ryu or Uechi-ryu. Trying to find dojos for specific, non-mainstream-in-the-US styles like these has proven fairly tough so far.

So: can anyone reading this recommend quality dojos in Manhattan (alternately, Jersey City/Hoboken might also work, but I strongly prefer Manhattan) for the above styles, or for other styles that might fit my loose criteria above? I'm still browsing through a lot of other similar forums and websites, but figure it can't hurt to ask specifically.

Thanks in advance for any responses :)

Sheree Adams
20th July 2006, 19:44
Hi there,

I can recommend Bob Weinburg, 8th dan, Kyoshi under O'Sensei Eizo Shimabukuro. His dojo is in Washington Heights and is called New York Rendokan. His web address is nyrendokan.com I believe (let me know if it's not). Bob has just returned last week from visiting our Sensei in Okinawa where we study Shorin Ryu. Hope this helps.

bitprophet
20th July 2006, 22:42
Thanks, Sheree. It looks like their site has moved to just http://www.rendokan.com/.