PDA

View Full Version : dislocated shoulder

Bob Steinkraus
1st June 2000, 06:53
RICE.

This stands for Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.

Don't do any exercise or use your arm. Rub it with ice until it is bright pink every hour or two. Compression and Elevation are meant to minimize swelling, which is probably too late. You may be taking some kind of medications for the injury. If not, consider some non-steroidal anti-inflammatories like aspirin or ibuprufn (Advil or Motrin). Please note that acetominophen (Tylenol) does not have the anti-inflammatory effect you are looking for. Standard dose for soft tissue injury is about 800 milligrams every four hours or so.

Ignore all these directions if they conflict with the advice of a responsible MD.

Good luck. Shoulders are very unforgiving joints.

Regards,
Bob Steinkraus

kagebushi
1st June 2000, 15:00
I managed to (half) dislocate my shoulder during ukemi practice. At the hospital they told me that it would be alright after about a month. The pain was not to bad, but now a few days later, it is really swollen up (i will probably go to get it checked out again in a few days). Any comments or recovery tips???

------------------
Mark Brecht

kagebushi
2nd June 2000, 21:49
Thanks Bob, i appreciate your advice very much. I am actually living in Japan, ( http://216.10.1.92/ubb/biggrin.gif very,very cute nurses here). I received several packets of "cold bandages" at the hospital (selfadhesive type, with a very cooling effect, smell like Menthol, http://216.10.1.92/ubb/smile.gif probably are), they seem to help a bit. I had also received painkillers, of which i have only taken two so far. I really should have taken something "inflametory" (i will remember next time). BTW, Advil always caused me stomache pain (???), so i usually took Tylenol when i was in the US. Thanks again.

Take Care,

------------------
Mark Brecht

John Lindsey
2nd June 2000, 23:48
about 10 years ago I dislocated my shoulder after being thrown out of the back of a pickup truck during an accident. Took about 9 months till it was back to normal, so please take it easy...

Aaron Fields
7th June 2000, 06:27
I dislocated both my rotator cuff and AC joint at the same time a few years back. Once the swelling went down I used a piece of surgical tube to get strength and flexibility back. Fix the tube to something and pull the arm up and across the body. (Keeps the scar tissue down.) I then used a variety a pushups as the arm got stronger. Take it easy and good luck on the shoulder.

------------------
Regards,
Aaron