PDA

View Full Version : Child with Aspergers wants to learn Judo

BeginnerDavid
1st August 2006, 11:01
I have a friend whose 9-year-old child wants to learn a martial art. I think he has picked out Judo because he's heard of it. The child has Aspergers' Syndrome, which means he has difficulty with some social situations, and finds disorder and loud noises confusing. I think it also affects his co-ordination slightly, though this is exactly why he, and his mother want him to join in some kind of physical activity like Judo.

I suggested maybe something like Kyudo might be easier for him, as this would play to his strengths. Any other suggestions? Anybody know of any dojos/instructors who have any experience of teaching children with learning/ behavioural difficulties?

yoj
1st August 2006, 11:20
I'm no expert but I've read around the subject a bit.

Judo will probably be a little too random for him, and kyudo, well how many kyudo places are there in London??? (I know of 1.)

Children with these sorts of problems I think are better off in a much more ordered environment, and some get quite a kick out of the neatness of lines in karate etc. So i'd be aiming at a form based system, which will grab his attention and give him a focus, rolling around with big boys will probably freak him out, and he won't be in a good place to tell you.

Just my pennies there, and worth less than that too ;-)

Woody
1st August 2006, 11:55
I'm thinking it's all about the sensei here. I believe there are several martial arts that would benefit the child, but it will require a good, patient sensei and sempai's, willing to put in the "extra time" with the boy. I run an "aikido club" for foster children at my dojo. A bit different I know but I believe the same principals apply. I have a deep belief in the physical, emotional and spiritual benefits of aikido training. Take the child to a few dojos. Snoop around a bit and ask many questions. You may find just what you're looking for.

Ron Tisdale
1st August 2006, 13:46
If the child does well in regimented environments, and some amount of roughness, yoshinkan aikido may be a good choice. There should be some good clubs there in London. Look for David Rubens if possible.

Best,
Ron

mews
1st August 2006, 18:06
depending on what martial art, and what school the child is in, it may actually do him some good.

One good thing about a regimented dojo is that a lot of the social ambiguity of everyday life is removed - line up here, bow there, say this, do that always, we do this in THIS order ... - even if it is noisy and busy, there is a lot of underlying clarity.

good luck on the search.

mew

Mitch Saret
1st August 2006, 20:08
I had a student with Asperger's awhile back.

Basically, asperger's is like a mild form of autism. That makes it important to make sure the child stays focused on the task at hand. My student was 18, however, not 9, so it may have been easier for me. To reiterate what woody said, it's about the instructor. Eye contact becomes important as do specific instructions.

ichibyoshi
2nd August 2006, 14:05
One thing many Aspergers kids (and adults) have trouble with is physcial contact. Close-quarter arts can be too challenging, because they find physcial closeness extremely difficult. Still, if the child has suggested judo, for whatever reasson, that is more than enough reason to let him do judo and find out for himself. No point trying to second guess.

b

yoj
2nd August 2006, 14:38
Actually, why not treat him like any other kid, take him to a few different places and see what he gets on with?

Dan Keding
2nd August 2006, 16:47
I agree with everything that has been said so far. But there is one important piece to the puzzle of finding the right martial art and the right instructor and that is communication.

Your friend must talk to the the instructors, explain the situation and give them the necessary information that will allow them to be the best sensei for their son. Often parents don't explain the situation or they gloss over the various areas of the problem. Your friend must be direct and informative with any prospective teacher. Asbergers is not a common trait and many sensei may not have heard of it or if they have may not know its various aspects. Just like with ADD and ADHD, parents must explain the situation to the teacher and make sure that he/she explains it to all the other instructors who may come into contact with the child.

I think letting the boy visit various dojos and having him be part of the selection process is important.

Respectfully,

joe yang
3rd August 2006, 02:19
I worked with a young man with Aspergers, his mom and dad are my age. I've become friends with the family. It seems to be all about training and conditioning for life skills. On a related note, my instructor was very big on working with students with all kinds of disabilities. Take the kid around. Watch classes. Talk to instructors. Let him make up his own mind. He'll know what he wants to do. Give him time.

Brian Owens
3rd August 2006, 05:38
I agree with most of the above, and would also add that it's important to let any prospective teacher know that most people with Asperger's Syndrome don't pick up well on subtle non-verbal communication, so instructions need to be clear, direct, and unambiguous.

I also agree that karate or Aikido might be better for him than Judo, but only the child and his parents can tell for sure.

BeginnerDavid
4th August 2006, 11:23
Thanks for your advice. I think they've already started looking around dojos, so I'll ask how it's going and pass on your advice when I next see them.

joe yang
10th August 2006, 02:50
David, Do us a favor and keep us posted with progress reports. Best. joe

BeginnerDavid
10th August 2006, 15:05
joe, I think they've decided to wait until after the school holidays are over, then resume their search, but I'll do my best to keep you updated.

trevorg
19th August 2006, 21:52
Actually, why not treat him like any other kid, take him to a few different places and see what he gets on with?

That's about the most sensible thing thats been said on this thread.

We live in a world where diversity is important and it is upto the sensei to make appropriate accommodation for people less able, no matter whether it is a physical or mental disability. Good parents will be able to establish the soundness of a good teacher.

Trevor Gilbert

yoj
20th August 2006, 01:24
That's about the most sensible thing thats been said on this thread.

We live in a world where diversity is important and it is upto the sensei to make appropriate accommodation for people less able, no matter whether it is a physical or mental disability. Good parents will be able to establish the soundness of a good teacher.

Trevor Gilbert

Thanks Trevor, living with disabilty not too far away (20 odd years of experience) one does appreciate people are people, and deserve a fair crack of the whip, it's their life, let them live it, they don't need mollycodling, they just want some help, to be themselves, like we all do.

Woody
20th August 2006, 01:31
Disability doesn't halt judo progress (http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/articles/2006/07/30/news/top/2253f533cd4a5dc5862571bb000c4f4b.txt)

Nyuck3X
28th August 2006, 18:35
I don't know how I missed this one.

My oldest son has Asperger's syndrome. He has been active in wrestling,
karate, gymnastics, soccer and baseball. He started karate at 9 and is now
14. Our experience is, if the instructor is informed and understands
that the child is different, that there is no problem treating them as an
ordinary kid. It takes a little more patience, but not that much more
effort. Not really mollycoddling but nothing more than some else with
an other learning style. I have a friend who can't do anything without
explaining every nuance of the move (an enginneer). Sometimes I just have
to tell him to stop talking and start doing. Same with my son.

Keep in mind that Einstein, Newton, Andy Whorhal, Dan Akroyd
and Andy Kaufman were all Asperger's. These are just a few off
the top of my head.

PM me if you need more info.

Peace.

ssanutokh
29th January 2009, 00:02
I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome when I was in my early 20s. At that time, I had some Shotokan and Aikido under my belt, neither of which had really hit the mark for me.

I seem to have settled in Bujinkan, although time constraints have had me on sabbatical for the last couple of years and I'm just now getting back into it. To my sensibilities, Bujinkan has a good flavor - I have yet to come across an instructor whose demands don't make sense, and I really feel as though the techniques I'm learning have an intrinsic value.

Additionally, I haven't found Bujinkan instructors or students that take themselves *nearly* as seriously as in other arts. This is a good thing for me, as I approach the mat with the impression that we're all adults, even if some of us can hold others down and make them squeak - an attitude not well received in some venues.

Asperger's Syndrome tends to run along a continuum, with some folks *really* turning inward while others, seeing value in social interaction, try and build our own guidelines for interpreting social cues. I *still* don't have any idea how to tell when someone is laughing or crying by the way their face moves or the sounds they're making, but I have learned that folks don't tend to pet and console folks who are laughing, and that the phrases 'it'll be all right' and 'don't worry' are not generally directed to the mirthful, so I look for those and similar cues to make the call. If these cues are not available, I've had decent luck asking directly ("Are you crying or laughing?") but only with folk who are close to me - this is apparently an intimacy which is unwelcome between strangers.

Additionally, a large problem for me in terms of dealing with social interaction has been determining what constitutes an acceptable topic in certain settings. For example, I have learned the hard way that one does not discuss techniques in eye surgery in any amount of detail at the dinner table, no matter how complex, new, and exciting they may be. I have added this to my list, although it makes no subjective sense to me that that topic should be taboo at that time. I learn more and more of these social oddities every day and in doing so, expand my repertoire of techniques for dealing with other human beings.

This is a factor that should definitely be taken into consideration - martial arts training is an intensely social endeavor, fraught and riddles with opportunities for this child to prove yet again to everyone just how differently his mind works. This can be a positive experience, but not if he's subjected to ridicule when he doesn't put slot A into tab B 100% of the time.

Checking again, I notice the last post on this topic was in 2006 - I'd be interested in hearing how things have gone for this child in the interim.

scottcrowan
28th April 2016, 12:40
Though I am not any professional trainer, but I would like to suggest you to let him go for Kyudo. Actually, one of my friend's baby was also facing similar problem so many judo trainers suggested him to go for Kyudo.