PDA

View Full Version : koryu kenjutsu in Oakland or San Fransico, CA?

RyanT
11th August 2006, 06:45
Does anyone know of any Koryu kenjutsu schools in the Oakland, San Fransico area?

Thanks,
R. Thompson

Charles Mahan
11th August 2006, 14:45
May or may not fit the bill depending on how you define "kenjutsu", but there is Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu in Berkley. Andrej Diamantstein-sensei just passed his Rokudan Renshi (6dan with teaching license) exam earlier this year in Kyoto. He is a student of Esaka Seigen-sensei(10th dan). He teaches in Berkley and San Francisco.

This group is affiliated with the ZNIR/Seitokai line which is led by Ikeda Takashi-soke. I'd suggest stopping in and watching a class. http://www.iaido.org

spencer burns
11th August 2006, 16:58
This gets asked often enough that I've made a webpage out of my notes
http://www.spencefu.com/martial/dojo_list.html

The short answer is that there is little koryu kenjutsu (although there is some non-mainline TSKSR up in the North Bay). However, if you include koryu iai--as Charles mentioned--and non-koryu kenjutsu there are a number of good options.

Charles Mahan
11th August 2006, 17:19
This gets asked often enough that I've made a webpage out of my notes
http://www.spencefu.com/martial/dojo_list.html

The short answer is that there is little koryu kenjutsu (although there is some non-mainline TSKSR up in the North Bay). However, if you include koryu iai--as Charles mentioned--and non-koryu kenjutsu there are a number of good options.

I looked at your entry for Diamantstein-sensei's dojo, and you list his Iai as a "contemplative" style of Iai. Could you elaborate a little on what you mean by that? It seems kinda vague.

Your information is a little out of date as well. Diamantstein-sensei is a member of the Zen Nippon Iaido Renmei. The MJER in that organization is led by Ikeda Takashi-soke. Fukui-soke passed away a few years ago.

spencer burns
11th August 2006, 17:43
I said contemplative based on what I've heard about how he runs his class and from the things I have read. It is my understanding that he emphasises the polishing of oneself more so than other local iai/batto groups.

E.g from a Craigslist ad for his school:
"Eishin Ryu Iaido is today seen as the closest Japanese martial art to Zen meditation and as one of the treasures of Japanese Culture and martial arts training"

I certainly did not intend this as a disrespectful comment. I also practice a kyudo style that is quote contemplative and feel it is an extremely valuable thing.

As for the lineage, I will change that. I do not know anything about Eishin Ryu lineage but just felt it was important to include so I entered it pretty blindly.

Charles Mahan
11th August 2006, 17:49
I have trained with Diamantstein-sensei on a number of occasions, and I have trained with his teacher, Esaka-sensei on one occasion. While there is a stated goal of general self improvement, I can assure you that it does not come at the expense of the kihon of the system, nor does Diamantstein-sensei neglect the purely pragmatic approach to combat which is a key component of MJER.

edg176
11th August 2006, 20:52
I think Guy Power (who posts here sometimes) is based in Sunnvyale. He is the head of a Toyama ryu school.

RyanT
12th August 2006, 06:43
Thank you for the information. I traveled to Japan back in 2000 to explore koryu and met up with Liam Keeley and saw a few differant arts. I am now competing in kickboxing as a way of exploring bushido. nothing like fighting full contact to test your spirit, at the same time I would like to study the sword.

R. Thompson

edg176
12th August 2006, 07:25
I've read Keeley's articles in Hop-Lite and his piece in one of Diane Skoss's anthologies. He comes across as a very bright guy.

RyanT
12th August 2006, 07:43
Liam is a real cool guy as well. Australia is lucky to have him. He took the time hook up with me and let me come watch a class of Tatsumi ryu and Buko ryu.

R.Thompson