PDA

View Full Version : Blue Label Dogis

luar
12th August 2006, 23:06
Do not, I repeat, do not put then in the dryer. My pants shrank so much I feel like doing ballet.

Rob Gassin
13th August 2006, 13:29
Thanks Raul,

I just bought one and am waiting for it to be delivered. At least you can buy it with a credit card!!

By the way, what is the quality like? Is the material white? How thick is the material? How good is the fit (before tumble drying)?

Cheers,

luar
13th August 2006, 14:44
The material is very thin, slightly yellow, wrinkles easily and I noted that there were a lot of loose threads on edges. I bought 2 and have yet to open the 2nd one but. My only complaint is that its hard to get the snapping sound when punching and kicking. Its ok but next time I will buy Ozaki.

Anders Pettersson
13th August 2006, 16:49
....At least you can buy it with a credit card!!

.... Is the material white? How thick is the material?
I have order a few, but not for myself, for kids and beginners only.

The material is what you can expect for that cost (not saying it is bad, rather good for that cost) and unbleached.
The good thing is that it is really cheap and therfore very good as a first dogi and as Rob states, you can pay by credit card and delivery is quick.

One bad thing is that you can't get an obi from them. Here in Sweden when you buy a beginners model dogi you usually get a white obi along with the dogi.
If you want a SK obi (with the new mark on), you will have to order from Ozaki or Maekawa and the total cost for one obi including money transfer etc. will probably end up the same as ene Blue label dogi. :(

/Anders

hsuntzu
15th September 2006, 17:03
Just to add my opionion on the Blue Label dogi..... I'd say the price/performance is pretty good, ie good deal for what you pay.

I order a couple for students in my class. Ordered it one Monday, they shipped it the same Friday, and was delivered to me the next Monday! The time lag between the order and shipping was due to the summer holidays in Japan. FYI, I live near San Francisco, CA, and postal service between Japan and here is pretty fast to begin with.... but still a package getting here in 3 days (incl weekend) was pretty amazing.

gassho

Rob Gassin
15th September 2006, 22:26
I ordered mine on Saturday and received it on Wednesday. I was actually so impressed that I emailed Hombu to tell them they were on a good thing with Bang Corporation.

luar
17th September 2006, 15:03
If anyone is interested, I scanned the Blue Label catalog and order form into a PDF document. You can download it here (http://nyshorinji.org/docs/BlueLabel.pdf) . Please not dot ask me any questions about the ordering process or if this is the latest catalog. I just happen to have a copy.

ken70
19th September 2006, 11:53
Is the same price for all suitable heights? 32 US dollars!!!!

Rob Gassin
19th September 2006, 12:54
Is the same price for all suitable heights? 32 US dollars!!!!

Yes! But it does not come with a belt.

ken70
19th September 2006, 16:03
Thanks Robert.
Without belt, but including postage : that's really cheap...
Good for beginners :)

Anders Pettersson
20th September 2006, 21:24
Gassho.

At this time
I have ordered a couple of times from Bang corp. and bought something like 6-7 Blue label dogi.

There have been some minor mistakes with some order but with some quick email correspondence everything has been solved very quickly.

Average for each order to arrive at my door has been just under a week.

For the price that we pay (including postage) it is very good quality, and as I mentioned before since it is mostly beginners that buy this dogi it would be nice if it came with a white obi as well.

Anyway, the service is very good and quick.

/Anders

Rob Gassin
20th September 2006, 21:56
Gassho.
since it is mostly beginners that buy this dogi it would be nice if it came with a white obi as well.
/Anders

Should the obi be white or cream like the dogi :rolleyes: ?

Ewok
20th September 2006, 23:52
Train hard enough and the obi should be cream in no time :p

Rob Gassin
9th April 2008, 13:36
Hi Guys,

I have been advised by Bang Corp that they are no longer the distributors of the Blue Label Dogis and are unsure whether their contract will be renewed.

They suggested that I contact Ozaki. However, their cheapest Dogi is the White Label, which is substantially more expensive.

Is anyone aware of whether the Blue Label Dogi will be available in future?

Cheers,

Gary Dolce
9th April 2008, 14:14
Rob,

I got a mailing from WSKO recently that indicated that Ozaki will be handling Blue Label dogi orders. The mailing included a Blue Label brochure that I believe had Ozaki contact info on it, but I don't have the brochure handy and can't check it right now.

Gary

Steve Williams
9th April 2008, 21:21
If anyone is interested, I scanned the Blue Label catalog and order form into a PDF document. You can download it here (http://nyshorinji.org/docs/BlueLabel.pdf) . Please not dot ask me any questions about the ordering process or if this is the latest catalog. I just happen to have a copy.

Hi Raul, we did the same on our website a few months ago...

see http://www.shorinjikempo.harrow.ac.uk/Downloads.aspx

we also did the same for the catalogue for the black andgold label dogi/obi etc.....

feel free to download the relevant info from our site ;)

Gary Dolce
9th April 2008, 23:31
Hi Raul, we did the same on our website a few months ago...

see http://www.shorinjikempo.harrow.ac.uk/Downloads.aspx

we also did the same for the catalogue for the black andgold label dogi/obi etc.....

feel free to download the relevant info from our site ;)

Steve and Raul,

I checked the latest Blue Label order form that WSKO sent and Ozaki is indeed the new distributor of Blue Label dogi. You will want to update the information you posted on your website.

Prices do remain the same - these are a real bargain, even without an obi.

Gary

Ewok
10th April 2008, 01:43
I believe that as of this April the manji has been completely phased out - you are not (officially) allowed to have the manji anywhere on your uniform, this includes the tag on the front of your uwagi (the "shirt" part of the dogi) or zubon (the pants), on the tip of the obi, or have a sewn on munasho (logo patch) - while at official events.

Meanwhile you can train in any old shaggy dogi during normal training, if your sensei is OK with that :D

Leelanau
10th April 2008, 22:59
I believe that as of this April the manji has been completely phased out - you are not (officially) allowed to have the manji anywhere on your uniform, this includes the tag on the front of your uwagi (the "shirt" part of the dogi) or zubon (the pants), on the tip of the obi, or have a sewn on munasho (logo patch) - while at official events.
Well shoot, my belt has a manji on the Ozaki logo. I suppose I won't be refused at Indonesia as I have my sexy-sexy blue label dogi, but I won't be 'official' anymore. It's a little early to retire the belt, even though it has been really worn down where the knot is. I'm sure there are others on this forum with similarly 'dated' uniforms.

Gary Dolce
10th April 2008, 23:18

Meanwhile you can train in any old shaggy dogi during normal training, if your sensei is OK with that :D

Do they really expect everyone to retire their obi with old labels on them? What if you simply remove the label?

Ewok
11th April 2008, 01:07
Do they really expect everyone to retire their obi with old labels on them? What if you simply remove the label?

Believe it or not you can buy replacement obi badges :D I'd just take it off if anyone gives you any trouble, but I can't see them being all that persistent.

Michael_Smith
11th April 2008, 09:45
Gassho

This is a bit of a drift and may require a new thread - apologies

I can understand WSKO perspective for phasing out the Manji. However, I am interested to know how Japanese society views the Manji? For example instance, my understanding is it was used as a symbol on maps for temples, is this still the case?

Domo arigato

Richard Codling
11th April 2008, 11:36
The manji is used on Japanese maps in the same way the Ordanance Survey symbols are used in Briatin for denoting centres of religious (Christian) practice: cross, cross with circle, cross with square; for church, church with spire and church with tower respectively.

Labels on SK kit: I was thinking about this the other day. When I was a kyu kenshi I used to take the manufaturer's labels off as Ishikawa sensei at Hombu thought that 'Blitz' (UK manufacturer/distributor of martial arts gear) was my name so I removed it to prevent confusion I bought an Ozaki belt in Tadotsu three days before the manji changed and fully intend to keep wearing it. If anyone says anything I'll remove the Ozaki patch and when I treat myself to a new obi after passing nidan then it'll have the new badge on and the problem will cease to be.

Michael_Smith
11th April 2008, 12:25
The manji is used on Japanese maps in the same way the Ordanance Survey symbols are used in Briatin for denoting centres of religious (Christian) practice: cross, cross with circle, cross with square; for church, church with spire and church with tower respectively.

Gassho

Thanks Richard for replying, I was aware of this. I was wondering if it is still the case. Apart from kempo and temples, I'm not sure if when the manji was used and whether it still is. I was hoping someone (*cough Leon*) who lives or has lived in Japan maybe able to shed some light on this for me please?

Kesshu

Indar
11th April 2008, 12:39
Gassho

This is a bit of a drift and may require a new thread - apologies

I can understand WSKO perspective for phasing out the Manji. However, I am interested to know how Japanese society views the Manji? For example instance, my understanding is it was used as a symbol on maps for temples, is this still the case?

Domo arigato

At the Hindu Temple in Neasden, London, the manji is displayed and also appears on items for sale such as calenders.

There is also a Buddhist temple in central London where the manji is shown on statues of Buddha.

Kaenzig
11th April 2008, 20:59
At the Hindu Temple in Neasden, London, the manji is displayed and also appears on items for sale such as calenders.

There is also a Buddhist temple in central London where the manji is shown on statues of Buddha.

I have been in Bali twice and there you can see the manji on almost all of the temple walls (there are more temples than houses in Bali).

luar
12th April 2008, 19:20
Steve and Raul,

I checked the latest Blue Label order form that WSKO sent and Ozaki is indeed the new distributor of Blue Label dogi. You will want to update the information you posted on your website.

Prices do remain the same - these are a real bargain, even without an obi.

Gary

Thanks Gary, this has been removed from our website.

Anders Pettersson
13th April 2008, 00:57

It is still used on maps.
Look at this map (http://map.yahoo.co.jp/print?lat=35.00.35.824&lon=135.46.47.608&memo=%BE%AF%CE%D3%BB%FB%B7%FD%CB%A1%CD%EC%C5%EC%C6%BB%B1%A1%01%A1%A1%BD%BB%BD%EA%A1%A7%B5%FE%C5%D4%C 9%DC%B5%FE%C5%D4%BB%D4%BA%B8%B5%FE%B6%E8%C0%B5%B1%FD%BB%FB%C4%AE463%A1%A1%C5%C5%CF%C3%C8%D6%B9%E6%A1 %A7075-771-8749&prop=red_pin) for instance, it shows the location of Rakuto doin in Kyoto, which is located in an area with many temples, they are all marked with the manji on the map.

/Anders

Ewok
13th April 2008, 15:56
Thanks Richard for replying, I was aware of this. I was wondering if it is still the case. Apart from kempo and temples, I'm not sure if when the manji was used and whether it still is. I was hoping someone (*cough Leon*) who lives or has lived in Japan maybe able to shed some light on this for me please?

No one thinks twice about the use of the manji - like its been said its the official symbol for Buddhist temples in Japan so you see it all over the place (I should start taking photos for you!). The temples themselves will have a manji somewhere as well.

One interesting place I've seen the manji popup is in a popular animated show called "Bleach", take a look at the hilt :)
http://www.trueswords.com/images/prod/c/bankai_sword_sm2_540.jpg

The manji is also used as part of a word for one of the attacks (ban in 'bankai')
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/kazumakuwabara/Page22.jpg

My wife just told me off for talking about children's anime, while talking about Shorinji Kempo. At 1am.

Michael_Smith
13th April 2008, 21:40
Gassho

Thanks to those for answering my question, I found that interesting and very positive.

Kesshu

Kari MakiKuutti
14th April 2008, 09:16
Well shoot, my belt has a manji on the Ozaki logo. I suppose I won't be refused at Indonesia as I have my sexy-sexy blue label dogi, but I won't be 'official' anymore. It's a little early to retire the belt, even though it has been really worn down where the knot is. I'm sure there are others on this forum with similarly 'dated' uniforms.
You are of course aware of the WSKO rule that wearing (excessively) worn obis is forbidden?

Leelanau
18th April 2008, 23:29
You are of course aware of the WSKO rule that wearing (excessively) worn obis is forbidden?

:eek: ...Wait, that can't be true! I remember WSKO reps with excessively worn obis! I've even seen a black belt that was mostly grey from use! Mine's not quite that worn, but it looks weird on a youngun' like me, heh heh.

Kari MakiKuutti
29th April 2008, 15:27
Found the worn Obi rule (as in letter of Dec 13th 2007 but it was similar before):

Article 3 Designated "Obi"
1. The designated belt (with the approved label containing the combined trade mark and logo) according to the individual's grade shall be worn.
A belt whose surface is so worn as to make its color unclear or a very scruffy belt shall not be used.

2. The colors ...

3. Embroidery ...