PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever been an uchi deshi?

Jody Holeton
14th December 2000, 13:16
Dear all,

I heard about the whole uchi deshi aspect a while back and I was hoping somebody here could elaborate.

Has anyone ever done one?

How does one go about doing it?

Here in Michigan, Katsumi Akira has a few Japanese uchi deshi BUT do Americans ever go that way?

Is rank achievement quicker?

Thanks--Jody

Walker
14th December 2000, 17:07
There are several residence programs in the US. I think advancement might be quicker, but it is expected that your life will be training, some grunt work for the program and rules governing your conduct. Compare to 3 or 5 times a week or less for the typical student at a dojo who lives their own life.
I view these programs as a modern adaptation of the traditional deshi which is why I call them residence programs.

Devon Smith
14th December 2000, 17:20
The following link might offer a little insight from an American who completed lengthy terms of uchi deshi in Japan. I met John Viol for a batto-do seminar in the early '90's, I left with a very good impression. His organization seems to be strong and legitimate. I haven't yet read into this section of his site, but your question remended me of it; I'll take a look myself.

http://www.seishinkan.com/seishin/sskstaff/johnvioluchideshi01.html

Jody Holeton
14th December 2000, 18:15
Dear Mr.Smith,

Viol's site doesn't offer very much info on who or what he did an uchi deshi program with. I have heard from different sources that John Viol recieved his Menkyo Kaiden in Yagyu SHingan-ryu Iaijutsu from an instructor named Ishihara in Osaka but I cannot verify that. His site is very vague.

Wouldn't it be nice to hear from real people about their real experiences of training in Japan?
Isn't it the dream of most martial artists to do something like an uchi deshi (home pupil/live-in training/apprenticeship)?

How do people go about it in Japan? Is it still done?

Bridger Dyson-Smith
14th December 2000, 21:04
Hi all!
I don't know if you all have checked out the information at http://www.koryu.com (sorry, don't I don't know how to create a link), but they give some really nice down-to-earth information on going about living/training in Japan. They also mention that they're unaware of any koryu that currently have uchi deshi programs, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Sorry for not adding too much and good luck.

Bridger Dyson-Smith
ps--also, read David Lowry's "Persimmon Wind"~ a really excellent book about training experiences that he had there.
I think that Dr. Friday might also have a book like that, but I don't know.
"..stopping before I put my foot farther into my mouth..."