PDA

View Full Version : Hojo Undo

Duanew
21st August 2006, 15:32
Does anyone have any experience with a good training tape for using chishi, ishi-shashi, etc. I know Tsunami has one out and I found another from Shorinkan.com. Does anyone know of a good source for the equipment- I have an account with Shureido so I know what they offer.
Thanks in advance,
Duane Wolfe
Matsumura Kenpo

johnst_nhb
21st August 2006, 16:41
Hey Duane,

The "Power Training" tape/dvd from Tsunami is very good for seeing Honjo Undo exercises...Check it out:

http://www.dragon-tsunami.org/Tsunami/Pages/section1.htm#ptraining

I highly recommend this one!

j

ryukyu2000
21st August 2006, 17:12
Duane-san:

I would highly recommend that you look into Mr. John Spence's website Shorin-ryu Williamsburg. Spence Sensei carries a series of tapes which may interest you.

Andy Morris
Delmar, NY, USA

TonyU
21st August 2006, 22:12
Duane-san:

I would highly recommend that you look into Mr. John Spence's website Shorin-ryu Williamsburg. Spence Sensei carries a series of tapes which may interest you.

Andy Morris
Delmar, NY, USA
I second that. I just had an oppurtunity to review them I and find them well put together and informative.

Geoff
21st August 2006, 23:11
I have the Tsunami video on VHS. It is excellent, but I understand they now offer a DVD version. If it is a true, searchable, DVD and not some VHS to DVD copy I would say snatch it up. Not only is the hojo undo section very well-done, but the few minutes of Higaonna sparring at the end is inspiring.

ryukyu2000
22nd August 2006, 03:28
Duane san:

I also have Higaonna Sensei's hojo undo video, along with that of Teruo Chinen Sensei. Both are excellent. But one thing which is very important to bear in mind. Hojo undo training is meant to be progressive and the videos of these masters show the capability after many years of progressive training. If you are starting out with hojo undo, it is important to have an instructional tape/dvd which I think Mr. Spence's fit that bill. Also, personal instruction by someone who uses these Okinawan tools would be wise to ensure proper usage.

Regards,

Andy Morris
Delmar, NY, USA