PDA

View Full Version : is there mje dojo in Moscow?

vladimir2
21st August 2006, 15:02
hello, i have been practicing mje in Boston for about two years. I have to move to Moscow, Russia for a year and would like to continue my practice so my question is there a muso jikiden eishin ruy dojo in Moskow? please let me know if there is one. Vladimir Grinev.

Charles Mahan
21st August 2006, 15:45
Hello Vladimir. Seems I recall something, I'm asking around and will let you know as soon as I hear something.

Would you be a student of Nguyen-sensei or Stanley-sensei, or is there another MJER dojo in Boston of which I am unaware?

vladimir2
21st August 2006, 16:45
thank you very much, it is Nguyen-sensei at " Boston iaido". Vladimir Grinev

Charles Mahan
21st August 2006, 17:21
Ah ok. Good guy. Hoping to see him in Denton this year for the US Iaido Embukai in November, but haven't heard if he was planning on attending yet. We're expecting a pretty big crowd this year, including some other folks from the Boston area.

urbalte
23rd August 2006, 06:17
I don't know of an MJER dojo in Moscow, but I do know there is a Toyama Ryu Batto Jitsu dojo starting there soon. My dojo, here in Yokosuka has been doing a lot of correspondence with them, one of our guys goes there often. He's also an Aikido sensei. He's been training one of his students in Toyama Ryu on the side, and now he's starting a Toyama Dojo in Moscow, using us as the sort of hombu dojo. Sounds weird, I know. Not to mention the whole distance learning thing. From what little I've seen, theese guys are actually pretty good. Having Nakazawa-san travel out there for hands on lessons helps a lot.
Anyhow, a big city like Moscow is bound to have one. See if you can't talk to someone from the company or school you're being sent to, and ask them if they can do some log work for you and find out. Or, they may just need to place a phone call or two? Hope it works out for you.

rottunpunk
23rd August 2006, 10:41
heyo there is one in moscow. some russian bloke runs it.
hehe not very helpful, sorry.
chidokan knows him though
:p

Andrei Arefiev
23rd August 2006, 11:52
some russian bloke

That'd be me :) We've already corresponded with Vladimir, and I'm looking forward to seeing him in Moscow.

Urbalte,

Unfortunately, you are wrong about Moscow. There is no dojo associated with ZNIR here. All the contact with this organization goes through Matsuoi Yuji-sensei who lives in Finland, thus most of the people practicing ZNIR MJER are from Saint-Petersburg and surroundings.

Charles Mahan
23rd August 2006, 15:49
Now I remember who I was trying to recall :) It was in fact Andrei, who is ZNKR affiliated unless I miss my guess. His iai will likely be a bit different than Nguyen-sensei, Davis-sensei, and Esaka-sensei.

I would discuss it with Nguyen-sensei and get his opinion on the oppurtunity. To me it seems you would likely pick up some different ways of doing things while you are there. When you came back you would need to go back to some of the things you were doing before. Still for years down the road you would have this alternate way of doing things to think about. It's generally a positive thing. So it's not an ideal solution, but certainly better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Chidokan
23rd August 2006, 22:26
Interesting point Charles. IN THEORY we should all be the same....but that will never happen will it! :D
Andrei is fairly solidly based in MJER with ZNKR seitei as well. Nice guy, works at his iai really hard... I was hoping to get over to visit there this summer, but email failure just blew it, never mind, there is always next year! It would be nice to get some more people there to encourage the club along, so good luck for your year over there.

Charles Mahan
24th August 2006, 02:12
Interesting point Charles. IN THEORY we should all be the same....but that will never happen will it!

I doubt we've ever all been the same. Certainly not since the formation of Shimomura-ha and Tanimura-ha. Probably farther back than that. It's the reason groups split off ever so often and form new styles. Without variations in practice or at least politics amoungst practitioners there would never be splits and we wouldn't have umpteen styles tracing their lineage back to the same founder.

urbalte
24th August 2006, 04:42
That'd be me :) We've already corresponded with Vladimir, and I'm looking forward to seeing him in Moscow.

Urbalte,

Unfortunately, you are wrong about Moscow. There is no dojo associated with ZNIR here. All the contact with this organization goes through Matsuoi Yuji-sensei who lives in Finland, thus most of the people practicing ZNIR MJER are from Saint-Petersburg and surroundings.

Bah! I'm never wrong...only sometimes misinfomred. Besides, I was only trying to offer a suggestion.

Andrei Arefiev
24th August 2006, 08:43
Andrei is fairly solidly based in MJER with ZNKR seitei as well. Nice guy, works at his iai really hard... I was hoping to get over to visit there this summer, but email failure just blew it, never mind, there is always next year! It would be nice to get some more people there to encourage the club along, so good luck for your year over there.

Thanks! I was hoping to get over to your seminar as well, but maybe next time. Or see you here in Moscow? December, perhaps? :D

rottunpunk
24th August 2006, 09:09
i remember your name now.
december in moscow? he got stuck in the snow in scotland in a december
:p

vladimir2
24th August 2006, 15:40
thanks to everyone for their input, so i guess one way of doing it is to attend seminars whenever possible.
vladimir.

Charles Mahan
24th August 2006, 16:45
You will probably still encounter different ways of doing things unless Matsuoi Yuji-sensei is also a student of Esaka-sensei. There are some regional differences even within the ZNIR/Seitokai branch of MJER. Same things I said earlier still apply.

Andrei Arefiev
25th August 2006, 10:16
You will probably still encounter different ways of doing things unless Matsuoi Yuji-sensei is also a student of Esaka-sensei. There are some regional differences even within the ZNIR/Seitokai branch of MJER. Same things I said earlier still apply.

As I understand, he is a student of Ishigaki Mutsuyoshi-sensei from Sapporo. That is where they go to in Japan.

Charles Mahan
25th August 2006, 13:26
Now that you mention it, I think Ray-sensei might have met Ishigaki-sensei this last time he was in Japan. The closest students of Esaka-sensei to Moscow are in Germany I'm afraid.

Still sounds like a fascinating oppurtunity to try something a little different than what he is used to. For a year, he would switch gears and try a different way of doing things, and then for years to come he would have insights that he might not have had otherwise. Beats the pants out of sitting around for a year, or going without instruction altogether.

Chidokan
25th August 2006, 20:40
A December trip to Moscow sounds good. Good job I wont be driving...anything higher than a foot and my car's in trouble...

So is Vladimir there in December as well? That would be interesting, we could trade viewpoints.