PDA

View Full Version : Video!?

Johan Frendin
2nd June 2000, 07:33
Gassho!

I´m branch master in Göteborg Branch in Sweden and I´m very pleased to take part in this interesting forum.

Shorinji Kempo Hollywood Branch was one year ago in the process of making a video of Shorinji Kempo. Does anybody on the forum know if the video is in production and for sale?

Johan Frendin

Gary Dolce
3rd June 2000, 02:06
Gassho,

I have heard that the Shorinji Kempo video featuring Kuramoto Sensei of the Hollywood Branch is on hold.

Personally, I am more interested in the indications from Hombu that they may soon be producing a video for foreign Branches. Has anyone heard any more about this?

------------------
Gary Dolce
Ann Arbor Branch
World Shorinji Kempo Organization

Anders Pettersson
4th June 2000, 16:12
Hi Johan and Gary.

Concerning video I heard, when I had a meeting with Arai-sensei and Mizuno-sensei at Hombu on the 19th of May, that Hombu have plans of making both some sort of book and video for the "outside of Japan" market.

When this project will be ready I don't know, but there is some work going on anyway. I guess we just have to wait.

Anders
Karlstad Shibu, Sweden
www.shorinji-kempo.org (http://www.shorinji-kempo.org)

hsuntzu
22nd July 2000, 03:31
I heard, in Japan there is going to be a new video and several books coming out starting this summer. I think the first book (Goho) is coming out this month. Two Juho books are coming out later in the year.

The video, as far as I know is not the same one as the Hollywood Branch video.

Gassho,

Anders Pettersson
24th July 2000, 23:11
Gassho.

Hi Yoshi.
Do you have any further information about these books and video?
Is it going to be possible to order them from Hombu? What will they cost etc.?

Anders
<A href="http://www.shorinji-kempo.org">www.shorinji-kempo.org</A>

hsuntzu
25th July 2000, 04:34
The information was briefly posted on the Hombu's Japanese web-site's News/Newletter section, but when it was updated went away. But there was an ad about it in the June issue of the Shorinji Kempo monthly magazine:

Video: release in Aug 2000

Book: 3 volumes "3D Photographic Book of Shorinji Kempo Techniques" (or something like this...I'm guessing by 3D they mean taken from 3 directions, like in the newsletters/SK magazines)

Vol 1: Goho, July 2000 (I think it was 7/21)
Vol 2: Juho-1, Oct 2000
Vol 3: Juho-2, Jan, 2001

It's going to be put out by the same publisher that did the "Shorinij Kempo no Susume" last year, the "Baseball Magazine Company"

I'd think it is available at bookstore (in Japan) as well as through Hombu, just like the other Shorinji Kempo books published.

Gassho,

luar
3rd August 2000, 00:29
Out of curiosity, can anyone make a profit on books or videos on Shorinji Kempo? Sounds like to me the answer is no since dojos and teachers cannot. If this is so, then does this explain why there are not an abundance of books or videos in places like Amazon? I suppose its possible to come out with unofficial training materials.

Gary Dolce
3rd August 2000, 14:50
luar,

My understanding is that Shorinji Kempo headquarters in Japan must approve any books or videos released about Shorinji Kempo. It certainly doesn't seem consistent with our philosophy for individuals to produce materials about it for their own personal profit.

A second reason for the lack of an abundance of material on Amazon is that the English language market for Shorinji Kempo materials is quite small. There are quite a few books in Japanese, but then a lot of people practice in Japan. In North America at least, the number of people who actually practice SK is relatively small, and the number who have even heard of SK is probably only a bit larger.

Some unofficial training materials in English do exist (unofficial translations of Hombu documents), as well as official materials from Hombu such as the Fukudokuhon, the Kamoku, and various handouts from past International Taikai. In the end, the best source of information is your teacher - books and videos are no substitute for direct instruction.

Gary Dolce
3rd August 2000, 14:54
Yoshi,

Thanks for the information on the new books and video! I included a request for them in my latest letter to Hombu. I'm looking forward to seeing them.

luar
3rd August 2000, 22:54
Gary,

I would disagree with your statement about a small market for English language training materials and relating that only to the USA. Without stating the obvious market of Great Britan, there would surely be a market for English language books in other regions such as Europe. We must not also remember countries like Canada and Australia.

I would also suggest that one should consider the POTENTIAL market of those people interested in learning an art. Paticularly those people who people who are looking for an atmosphere that is supportive for newbiews and void of attitude.

Gary Dolce
4th August 2000, 01:00
luar,

I think you misunderstood my comments. I believe that the primary reason for the lack of materials in languages other than Japanese on Shorinji Kempo is the control that Hombu places on the publication of such materials. The fact that such controls exist is not completely negative - those controls limit the potential for books and videos that mis-represent SK. But I think most Kenshi would agree that it would be nice if Hombu would publish more material in English.

As for my second comment - you asked why there isn't an "abundance" of material about SK on Amazon. An "abundance" of books or videos on a particular subject implies that there is a large market for it. I stand by my comment that the market for SK materials in English is relatively small. Worldwide, the total number of Kenshi outside of Japan and Indonesia is relatively small. It is certainly quite small in the US and Canada (re-read my note and you will notice that I said North America, not USA). Yes, there are Kenshi in Europe, Australia, and elsewhere, but the grand total outside of Japan is small compared to many other martial arts. Until that changes, the market for material will be small.

None of this implies that I would not like to see an abundance of material in English about SK. And I certainly agree that more material would be helpful for Kenshi at all levels - including newcomers. But I still urge people not to put too much faith in books or videos - real learning comes from practice, from watching your teacher, getting feedback, etc. Books and videos are a secondary resource.

By the way, please use your full name in posts to this forum. It helps maintain the level of civility here.

Thanks,

Steve Williams
4th August 2000, 20:54
Latest video news, as I have been informed so far.

Instructors: Sensei Arai (Hombu), Sensei Aosaka (French Federation), Sensei Mizuno (British Federation). Also other Japanese and Hombu instructors (names not yet told to me).
The video was filmed early this year, May/June completion, at Hombu, the idea was to make a "dynamic" looking video which would appeal to existing kenshi as well as people who are not connected with Shorinji Kempo.
The release date is still hoped to be this year, exact time not yet revealed to me (maybe those who can read the Japanese newsletters have more up to date info).

When I have any more info I will post it.

Steve Williams
8th August 2000, 19:01
Latast word on the new book (mentioned above).

It is now available, "Shorinji kempo GOHO profound study with serial pictures"
is published, it is a book with 23 techniques from Goho.

This is as told to me by a Japanese friend.