PDA

View Full Version : In The Northwest US

Initiate
27th August 2006, 16:42
I live in Olympia Washington and I am interested in finding a dojo that teaches the sword. Any ideas?

Thanks Rick Bradford

Initiate
27th August 2006, 18:27
I just found this site a few days ago after buying a Criswell. After reviewing the site more thoroughly I realize there is a association that I should look at. By reading your posts I feel lucky to have stumbled upon this group of interesting people.

I read the sword sharpening thread; even if mine is a working blade I do not think I should try to sharpen it because I would change its geometry.

My first step will be to study and find a teacher; my nephew used to study kendo with a wooden sword but he gave it up-I believe it was a passing fancy.

Hello to this fine group; perhaps this thread will be read but I am learning a great deal just by reading across this site.

One rule that I greatly appreciate here is that we must leave our real name.

Rick Bradford

Charles Mahan
27th August 2006, 19:23
Well if you're willing to put up with a bit of driving, there are litterally tons of really good training oppurtunities in the Seattle area. Seattle has probably the highest density of traditional Japanese sword styles found anywhere in the US. And taught by a lot of very high ranking folks. You are really quite fortunate.

My advice would be to search the forum for "Seattle". You'll turn up plenty.

Initiate
29th August 2006, 02:33
Mr. Mahon

Thank you kindly for your thoughtful reply. I think that Puyallup is the closest I will find in terms of rudimentary sword art. Yes, I can drive a great a long ways as I saw there were very many dojo in the north. I do not know that tapping armored persons with a bamboo shiven sword will help me to be more than an initiate. However I will start in Puyallup which is now registering. I think I would rather learn with bokken and learning to draw it from saya. I have been reading translations between 800 and 1400 in Japan, which is to say before the Tokawawa shogunate, when Samurai practice the art of battle, but did not actually battle (which of course you know). Often it is not more about sword than the spirit in the translations. I also spoke with a friend of mine who grew up in Kyushu, and I have a friend who grew up in Okinawa. Of course the latter is not technically a Japanese person but he is a person of great spirit and tactical skill.

I am glad that I live in a place which provides a rich environment for learning.

With humility, initiate

Rick Bradford

Charles Mahan
29th August 2006, 02:41
What will you be studying in Puyallup? Kendo? Do not discount Kendo as a good place to start your training in JSA. Later if you feel like you want to study a koryu(old school) sword art, there are lots of options a little north of you. There are people all over the country that wish they were as close to Seattle as you are. One of the moderators over at another forum, recently moved from San Antonio to Seattle in order to be closer to her instructor.

Initiate
29th August 2006, 02:56
Mr. Mahon

Of course you reach the kernel of the matter. In a rich man might buy sword in United States. As I intimated in my reply to your instructive note, I need to learn more about wielding anything in my hands than a live steel. Still when I look at the Criswell I recently bought I understand that if I can learn to use it my psyche would benefit.

Then I shall start with Kendo.

With humility, Initiate

Rick Bradford

Charles Mahan
29th August 2006, 03:01
Rick,

Is English you're first language? If it's not, please ignore the rest of this post. You're english is a lot better than the smattering of spanish and japanese that I know.

I suspect that english is your first language. Please don't take this the wrong way, but you're posts are very difficult to read. You should really spend some more time proof-reading your posts. Your grammar is bad enough to make some of your sentences downright unreadable. If you can't communicate your ideas and questions effectively, you will not get the kind of responses you want. Just a friendly heads up.

BTW. I was more than 5 years into my training before I picked up a shinken for the first time. Don't be in such a hurry. These things were made to kill people, and it literally only takes the smallest misstep to maim you for life. If kendo is all you have access to at the moment, then kendo it is. JSAs do not lend them selves to instant gratification. You need to shift your thinking to more of a decade long time scale and less of a day long timescale.

Initiate
29th August 2006, 03:10
I speak many languages. I began with american, I have studied english, I am fluent in french, a ma mere. I have been a tutor in math and chemistry to persions from China-mainland and Hong Kong, and worked clo0sely with Japanese as an illustrator. But I am a horrible typist. Please forgive my stilted constructions and clumsy replies.

Of greatest importance is the correctness of your thoughts and instruction

With humility

Rick Bradford

But damn that Criswell is a fine piece of metal. From an old machinestest, who is enchanted by the smell of raw arbon steel, Rick

Charles Mahan
29th August 2006, 03:40
A word to the wise. Online people will make judgements about you based on how well you are able to communicate in your posts. Poorly written posts will cast you in a bad light. The problems in your posts go beyond poor typing.

Anyway. Be more careful. Some of the forumites here, and in other forums would just as soon heckle you as talk to you. Particularly if you give them an excuse.

Initiate
29th August 2006, 04:05
Mr Mahan

In my job I care fore retired airborne-St Mere Eglise, Bastogne may ring a bell. I care little for careless hazing. I greatly apprieciate the wisdom of my betters

With respect

Rick Bradford

Initiate
29th August 2006, 04:38
Gentlemen

I was hoping I would find a forum of discussion in your esteemed company.

The horror of battle is not a new thing. The insight of warrior is always refreshing. This is why I wish to join your group. I am old, in my fifties I have arthritis in many places. My nephew told me I should seek a dojo where I do not kneel too much. I do not care. I seek instruction and enlightenment.

In my many wanderings I still feel you are refreshing and enlightening. I pray that I do not present a spirit which is aggressive and arrogant. In my recent days I have seen things that have troubled me deeply. I still retain my faith in the clarity and insight of the warrior.

In many ways I am young, and many other ways I am old. I grow tired of motorcycles and gardening. My respect for those who confront another human with respect and clarity grows daily. I have no ax to grind, I mean harm to no one. I presume nothing save my own ignorance.

I will only grow by contact with my betters.

With respect

Rick Bradford

Brian Owens
25th September 2006, 09:55
...I am old, in my fifties I have arthritis in many places. My nephew told me I should seek a dojo where I do not kneel too much. I do not care. I seek instruction and enlightenment. ...
Old? In your fifties?

Several of my teachers have been in their sixties, and one in his seventies, and they were still working out with the rest of us.

Have you visted any dojo yet? Are you narrowing down the field to one that you wish to become a member of? Although not as plentiful as in the Seattle/Bellevue area, I would think that there would be something in the south Sound region that would meet your needs. Please keep us informed. Inquiring minds want to know.