PDA

View Full Version : European Iaido Championships

ScottUK
28th August 2006, 11:17
Will any of our European buddies be in Brighton, UK next week for the European Iaido/Jodo championships? It'd be nice to put faces to E-Budo names...

Andy Watson
28th August 2006, 16:29
Thought I would pop in and show my face. Won't be staying though, I don't like taikai and I don't think they are a true part of training - just like dan grades, they get in the way of real training.

Much better to stay in your own dojo and hope that you are doing it right, I reckon.

ScottUK
28th August 2006, 16:31
Have you had a change of heart?

Andy Watson
28th August 2006, 17:27
What do you think?

:rolleyes:

ScottUK
28th August 2006, 17:53
Time to take this to PM.

Anyone else gonna be there?

Chidokan
28th August 2006, 17:54
Andy, you're a man after my own heart....
I think Scott just goes for the beer afterwards as well...but won't admit it. :)

ScottUK
28th August 2006, 17:56
How little you know... :)

chrismoses
28th August 2006, 18:14
I've participated in a few iai/batto taikai and just have to say what a wonderful opportunity and experience they've been. Certainly there's the danger of competition affecting the art or even the daily training, but it's been my experience that the people who coordinate and participate in these kinds of events are using them as a training tool. There's really something unique about having to get up and do your stuff cold in front of the world to see and with real consequences. No the consequences aren't that great, maybe you don't make the next round, but that can be enough to create anxiety and stress. So not only do you get the rare opportunity to see how you perform under duress, you also get to see how much that pressure affects you. That's a great gift. Even better, you get to enter into an experience with other folks who share this bizarre hobby/obsession. I've never experienced any ill-will at these taikai either. The person you just bested, is the first to congratulate you. And when you eventually get bested, your dissapointment is mediated by getting to appreciate an excellent demonstration. That sounds almost cliche, but that's really been my experience.

Andy Watson
28th August 2006, 18:24
I had better clear up what I said earlier before I get a reputation for being a serious martial artist.

I was actually parodising certain characters from Kendo World. Those of you unfortunate enough to me know me will know me as being something of a regular turn out for taikai and gradings etc. Call me sociable, call me an alcoholic, call me an ambulance...

Or you can call me Al.

chrismoses
28th August 2006, 18:28
I was actually parodising certain characters from Kendo World. Those of you unfortunate enough to me know me will know me as being something of a regular turn out for taikai and gradings etc. Call me sociable, call me an alcoholic, call me an ambulance...

Or you can call me Al.

D@mn this broken sarcasm-o-meter....

ScottUK
28th August 2006, 18:40
Hi Chris,

Yep - a training tool is exactly what is should be. Its nice to win but its much better to have people you haven't seen for a while come up and say how much you've improved. I can genuinely say thanks to shiai for lifting me that much quicker than if I hadn't got involved in it.

What do you think?Hehe, all has become clear... :D

29th August 2006, 00:57
I'm thinking of turning up to watch. I ought to be training, but my teacher will be at the taikai... Then again, it only takes half as much time to get to the dojo as it does to travel to Brighton. Maybe I'll hit the bar instead.

ScottUK
29th August 2006, 01:00
The seminar should be good. Get your name down for that?

Sensei in attendance (http://www.ec2006.co.uk)

29th August 2006, 02:05
Unfortunately not... I'm still reeling from the Jodo earlier this month. Plus I didn't apply in time. I'm not really sure how the whole thing works, to be honest. I figured it was for people on the national squad, or who were taking part in the taikai.

ScottUK
29th August 2006, 09:30
OK, I guess I'll seeya on the Monday then... :)

Solinde
10th September 2006, 14:21
Will any of our European buddies be in Brighton, UK next week for the European Iaido/Jodo championships? It'd be nice to put faces to E-Budo names...

Well, I was there. I'm just never here. :rolleyes:

ScottUK
10th September 2006, 14:24
Which one were you? I would have come and said hi...!

Welcome to E-Budo, by the way. You'll find it a little more, er, controlled here than Kendo-World... :D

Don't forget to stick your real name (and a cool quote) in your sig. Its the law here... :)

Solinde
10th September 2006, 14:55
Which one were you? I would have come and said hi...!

Welcome to E-Budo, by the way. You'll find it a little more, er, controlled here than Kendo-World... :D

Don't forget to stick your real name (and a cool quote) in your sig. Its the law here... :)

The only Swedish girl in hakama and gi. ;) I actually did recognize you but for some reason I never said hi. Sorry. :o

Oops, didn't realize I hadn't filled in my name.

ScottUK
10th September 2006, 15:00
Bah. Next time, eh? :)

Did you know the results have been posted on the official website?

www.ec2006.co.uk

Solinde
10th September 2006, 15:20
Sure thing. :)

No, I'd missed that. Will have to put more (SE)s into it next year though. ;)

Andrei Arefiev
10th September 2006, 17:43
Scott, congratulations, well done! Wish I was there and we'd finally have met in a match :)

Andy, congratulations to you too!

I don't think I know who else of the medal winners are members here.

Andy Watson
10th September 2006, 21:51
Thanks Andre, sorry you weren't there this year.

Good to see lot's of other's there though. My mental state is just slowing down now.

ScottUK
10th September 2006, 22:03
Yeah, Andre - thanks... :)

Are we gonna see you anytime soon? I still have some vodka cups I have to christen with you - even though I don't drink...!

Bailemor
11th September 2006, 07:00
Hi Guys,

congratulations to Scott, Andy and Gavin for there successes.

David

rottunpunk
11th September 2006, 10:01
ooh, just looked at the results.
congratulations scott and andy
:p

Andy Watson
11th September 2006, 16:14
Fanks. The relief that we weren't going to play the national anthem when the golds got handed out was indescribable (as was the difficulty in spelling that last word).