PDA

View Full Version : kenjutsu or battojutsu in phoenix/tempe/mesa

fvoxfyre841
5th September 2006, 19:41
Hi,
I'm looking for a definitive list that will tell me what is available here. I have heard that there are several sword schools but want to be able to determine what the options are so that I can begin investigating.
Thanks!

Alex Dale
5th September 2006, 20:29
You best bet is to do some searching around E-Budo and around the net. Try contacting any dojos that you HAVE found and ask who they know in your area or as far as you're willing to drive.

Definitive texts don't exactly exist in the koryu world.

Regards,

wreddock
5th September 2006, 20:30
I'm looking for a definitive list
I'll ask our association but i doubt you'll ever get a truly definitive list.

Michael Mason
5th September 2006, 20:39
There are several authorized Shinkendo dojos in Arizona.
You can find the official list here
http://www.shinkendo.com/dojomap.html#az

For more information about Shinkendo, please visit www.shinkendo.com.

Cebu
6th September 2006, 01:07
I know Carl McClafferty sensei teaches Shin Shin Sekiguchi Ryu and Nakamura Ryu down in Tucson. Roughly 100 miles. I drive 150 each way for mine and find it well worthwhile. Best of luck in your search.

Robert Corella
19th September 2006, 04:30
Hi,
We teach Araki ryu iaido here in central Phoenix. Our dojo is over 20 years old and our headquarters is located in Himeji, Japan. Araki Ryu iaido is over 400 years old! Please contact me through our website: kenshindojo.net .

Thank you,
Bob Corella

Jeff Harris
25th September 2006, 04:34
Hi

I am Jeff Harris. My wife & I teach Shinkendo at two dojos in Mesa & one in Chandler. For more on our programs as well as a listing of other AZ Shikendo dojos check: http://www.azshinkendo.com & as noted by Michael Mason a worldwide list can be found at: http//:www.shinkendo.com .

Jeff Harris
Mesa/Chandler Shinkendo

Jeff Harris
6th January 2008, 22:21
Latest news! Shinkendo will be offered at Mesa Community College starting in the spring semester, so for those of who want to try Shinkendo and get college credit at the same time, here is your chance. The class will be at the Southern & Dobson campus at 12:00 Monday & Wednesday. The course number is PED102SN, and the schedule line # is 0771.

Nii
7th January 2008, 00:34
You'll find there are many Koryu that have an EXTREMELY limited profile too. After about a half a year of searching I've found that there are two Koryu in my state (TSKSR and Tamiya-Ryu), but I just recently found that there is a teacher of Mugai Ryu here as well! However, there are no advertisements or anything regarding this school, and I only found out by randomly prodding fellow Kenjutsu practitioners on Facebook, but the low profile of school is something you need to consider.

Rasmus
7th January 2008, 17:10
I just recently found that there is a teacher of Mugai Ryu here as well! Sorry for posting off topic. I'll keep it short; I'm curious to what branch the dojo belongs?

Nii
7th January 2008, 22:59
No idea. I'll have to ask then get back to you. An internet search turns up nothing.

renfield_kuroda
9th January 2008, 03:27
I think I've heard of one guy in Australia doing Mugai, but I'm curious to here who is out there. Let us know what you find.

Regards,

r e n