PDA

View Full Version : where to begin

Initiate
10th September 2006, 20:16
Gentleman (and Ladies, I guess, but I have not seen a woman post here):

I am interested in sword arts and Japanese culture. I thought I knew something about the subject, and recently purchase a Criswell sword, but my motivation was its beauty, and the fact that it was not decorative. After reading more on your forum I realize how much I need to know.

Before beginning, I need to improve my conditioning. Should I start with a martial art other than sword arts before I attempt this? I have knee and lumbar spine arthritis, but such pursuits may benefit my flexibility.

Thanks for any guidance

Rick

DDATFUS
10th September 2006, 20:54
Hi, Rick. The best place to start might be with including your full name in your signature; it is one of the forum rules and you will find more people willing to help you if you do so. If you don't, the moderators might ban you from the forum. If you look at the top of the page you will see the User CP option. If you press that and choose to edit your signature, you can arrange to have your full name automatically added to each post.

With regards to your question, I'm not exactly an expert, but the best advice that I can give you is to find out what martial arts are available in your area. I think that there quite a few reputable sword options in the state of Washington. You should probably check them out and try to see first-hand if these classes will fit in with your interests and physical abilities. Also, talk to the instructors and see what they think you should do. The instructors might be able to offer you some really good advice on what type of conditioning would be best for their class, and if you meet them face-to-face they'll be able to form a better opinion of what's best for you than a bunch of people on the internet.

Best,

Initiate
10th September 2006, 21:01
Soryy, I forgot: Rick Bradford.

Thanks for the advice

Mr. T.
10th September 2006, 22:03
Hi Rick,

It all depends on what JSA you want, kendo, iaido, kenjutsu, shinkendo, etc. Usually you improve your physical condition when you train the art a few times a week. So it’s not really necessary to train a second MA (to improve your condition). Starting another MA isn't a smart thing because you might start mixing up the basics of the arts (although opinions differ on this subject). If you really want to improve your condition, I suggest fitness, especially cardio. Go to a good fitness centre, because you've got some serious physical problems. They can help you put together a good training program (you’re a physician, so you’re probably aware of this). Make sure you tell your sensei about serious physical problems before starting; this will prevent more problems in the future.

Also keep in mind that although you have bought a beautiful sword, you will probably not be allowed to use it during class. But that will come in time. Tell us what kind JSA you are looking for so we can help you find a good dojo and then the sensei of that dojo can help you with any question you will have.

Joseph08
22nd November 2018, 05:55
I would also like to know more about it. Though good piece of information is given by members. Thanks

steveM
31st January 2019, 17:49
yes, its a big question where to start but i think before start very important part is what is the best one when you have lot of option like jodo, bjj, jiu jitsu, karate, kickboxing etc. which is perfect for you and why you select.

hyaku
1st February 2019, 14:45
Gentleman (and Ladies, I guess, but I have not seen a woman post here):

I am interested in sword arts and Japanese culture. I thought I knew something about the subject, and recently purchase a Criswell sword, but my motivation was its beauty, and the fact that it was not decorative. After reading more on your forum I realize how much I need to know.

Before beginning, I need to improve my conditioning. Should I start with a martial art other than sword arts before I attempt this? I have knee and lumbar spine arthritis, but such pursuits may benefit my flexibility.

Thanks for any guidance

Rick

Well first of all it would depend on where you live and the availability of a dojo that teaches sword arts such as Iaido or Batto Jutsu. Normally one starts these arts and afterwards buys a blade with advice from ones sensei. Some blades can be unsuitable for practice. I take it you want to learn how to draw and cut with it?

It is possible to do these arts from a standing position. With your condition sitting in seiza wont be very good for you. Each art requires a particular muscle set. Learning drills for the art you intend to study and doing them with a very heavy wooden blade will help.

I used to use a very heavy steel bar. Then again the blade I use is the heaviest and longest that anyone uses.

These arts cannot be studied from reading books or watching videos. They can only help aid what you learn from somebody else.

I am sure you will find helpful advice on this forum. Some of us have over 50 years of practice with most of it in Japan.