PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Stand construction

Maro
14th September 2006, 07:18
Hi,

Now that I've finally moved into a house with a garden, I'm able to practise outside and not just at the dojo. I've downloaded the excellent Bugei plans for a cutting stand but have encountered one hitch with it's construction.

How do you drill the concurrent holes through the base sections of wood in one go. I thought perhaps a drill press was used but even clamped tight, the wood would move when the stand is turned sideways to present to the drill press.

Attempting to drill from the horizontal position leads to movement in the level plane and also means you can't apply enough force even though I have the a 12" wood bit.

It's been a long time since I've had the opportunity to work with tools so I'm a little out of practice - I'm sure the solution is staring me right in the face but I can't see it!

Cheers!

Bruce Mitchell
14th September 2006, 18:13
Why do it in one go? Just measure well and mark the individual pieces. If you use a drill press, they should all match up.
If you are determined to drill them all at once, then I would use deck screw to temporarily fatsen them together while you drill, it should prevent any movement. Or use something strong like gorilla glue (heck, even elmers would be okay) and clamps, once the glue sets, then you can drill and reinforce with bolts. Don't have clamps? Use glue and scerws and then once it all sets up drill and put in your bolts.

Maro
15th September 2006, 00:22
Thanks Bruce - that does sound about right. Like I said, it's been a while and I'm a bit rusty!