PDA

View Full Version : Got hamon?

louroberto
22nd September 2006, 03:31
I purchased a Last Legend with a full polish and was wondering if anyone has ever seen a Last legend Blade without a hamon? The bladis is a mikusa grade 3 folded. It also has a shine over the entire blade. Would it be possible that the hamon was polished out or did it possible never have one to begin with? Thanks

louroberto
22nd September 2006, 20:31
I purchased a Last Legend with a full polish and was wondering if anyone has ever seen a Last legend Blade without a hamon? The bladis is a mikusa grade 3 folded. It also has a shine over the entire blade. Would it be possible that the hamon was polished out or did it possible never have one to begin with? Thanks
After mr Larman clarified some things for me I stated I had a full polish because the blade was so shiney! I think now that was wrong to say. So let me reword this. I have a blade that i think the hamon may have been buffed out . Is this possible and if so will the hamon ever come back or will it need to be "Polished" to get it back. I only ask this because the said the blade was folded and differentialy clay tempered. I was thinking that would give it a hamon. Well thanks for listening/reading.

kdlarman
22nd September 2006, 21:52
After mr Larman clarified some things for me I stated I had a full polish because the blade was so shiney! I think now that was wrong to say. So let me reword this. I have a blade that i think the hamon may have been buffed out . Is this possible and if so will the hamon ever come back or will it need to be "Polished" to get it back. I only ask this because the said the blade was folded and differentialy clay tempered. I was thinking that would give it a hamon. Well thanks for listening/reading.
Generally a blade with a hamon will show evidence of the hamon unless it is *really* buffed. Can you see the grain of the folds? If so you *should* be able to see at least a hint of the hamon. There will usually be a small line of slightly coarser grained material (the habuchi or transition zone between pearlite and martensite) especially if you are looking down the blade into a light.

Hamon on a production blade can be brought up one of two ways. One is to use a traditional polishing methodology. I doubt you'll find anyone with training who'll want to do that. The second option is to try to do what folk on-line like to call a "hybrid" polish. And I must say I find the name silly most the time because in this context "hybrid" means mixing two methods, traditional with modern. Most I've seen have nothing traditional about them. They should just be called etched finishes. But an etchant *should* reveal differences in structures in the steel. That would be the second way.

kdlarman
22nd September 2006, 22:00
And really you should ask Last Legend about this. It is their sword so they should be able to answer those sorts of questions for you.

Brian Owens
22nd September 2006, 22:39
...Would it be possible that the hamon was polished out or did it possible never have one to begin with?
In looking at Last Legend's Web site, it appears from the photos that the Grade 3F Mikusa models have a visible suguha (straight) hamon.

Here's the close-up from their site:

http://lastlegend.com/05kat/mikusa/tsubatatakai.jpg

It's not as distinct as the fake "hamon" on many mogito, but it should, I think, be at least as visible on yours as it is in this photo.

HTH.

ozric100
23rd September 2006, 00:30
I have a 3000F Reinami. You can see the folds and jihada, but hamon is not very apperent. Mine is only in tameshigiri polish the blade has lots of activity, I have never cut with mine it's way to pretty. There are pictures of it on SFI in the classifieds but it never sold... so I just keep her for myself.

louroberto
23rd September 2006, 03:10
In looking at Last Legend's Web site, it appears from the photos that the Grade 3F Mikusa models have a visible suguha (straight) hamon.

Here's the close-up from their site:

http://lastlegend.com/05kat/mikusa/tsubatatakai.jpg

It's not as distinct as the fake "hamon" on many mogito, but it should, I think, be at least as visible on yours as it is in this photo.

HTH.

OK sorry I got it that time. I see it!

louroberto
23rd September 2006, 03:13
Thanks for the guidance gentlmen!