PDA

View Full Version : Shinbukan Kuroda Ryu-gi (Komagawa kaishin-ryu)

mtom1234
18th March 2003, 06:14
Hi everyone.

Just wondered if people who have had experience with Kuroda Tetsuzan and/or the Shinbukan Kuroda Dojo might please share their views.

I ask because I'm hoping to begin training in a martial art soon and one school in which I am planning to look into training (San Antonio School of Kenjutsu (http://jbull.home.texas.net/)) teaches the arts of the Shinbukan Kuroda Dojo.

Any views or insights would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

M. Tom

Ron Tisdale
18th March 2003, 14:52
http://65.119.177.201/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000201

This thread may put you in touch with some of Kuroda Sensei's students.

http://www.aikidojournal.com/new/article.asp?ArticleID=85

This interview is an excellent portrait of the man and how he teaches.

Ron Tisdale

Dave Neeley
18th March 2003, 17:57
It is not easy to describe Kuroda Sensei.

You can see him, but he's not there. You can shake his hand and not be sure if you were holding anything. Watching him on video will not show you anything, you must experience it first hand. Aside from his alien abilities, he is simply a really cool guy with an extremely dry sense of humor.

As for the San Antonio School of Kenjutsu, they are a great group of guys and a lot of fun. They will be hosting Kuroda Sensei in May. Here is a link to the seminar announcement if you don't already have it.

http://jbull.home.texas.net/TxSeminar.html

Meik Skoss
18th March 2003, 19:04
Kuroda's an interesting guy, and quite nice. He teaches a mixture of arts that were kind of mixed together: Komakawa Kaishin-ryu kenjutsu, Shishin Takuma-ryu jujutsu, Tamiya-ryu iaijutsu, and ... (sorry, I'm drawing a blank -- it's been several years since I saw it demonstrated).

His Tamiya-ryu iaijutsu (it's different from the more widely known line headed by Tsumaki Seirin) has got to be some of the *very* weirdest stuff I've ever seen. Likewise, his kenjutsu seems a little bit odd to me. Laurent Subila, a senior exponent of Shinto Muso-ryu in Switzerland, has trained with Kuroda some, though, and he told me that what seems rather odd technique is only a particular level-cum-training method, that his "real" stuff is really different and very, very good. I trust Laurent's judgement in this, so that's an interesting point to consider.

Based on what I've seen of Kuroda S., his approach/technique is a lot different from that of many other teachers, but high quality. I think training directly with him on a regular basis would be a good thing.

mtom1234
21st March 2003, 19:21
Thanks a lot for your replies, everyone.

Mr. Tisdale, thanks for the links.

Mr. Neeley, thanks for the info on Kuroda Sensei and the San Antonio School of Kenjutsu and Kuroda Sensei's upcoming seminar.

Mr. Skoss, thanks for your info on Kuroda Sensei and his ryu-ha. Also, I read the Koryu Primer articles at koryu.com and found them very interesting and informative.

Thanks again all,

M. Tom

Cady Goldfield
17th April 2003, 19:50
According to the Aikido Journal website, Mr. Kuroda will be doing a demonstration at Stanley Pranin's Aiki Expo in Las Vegas this September.

Finny
23rd May 2006, 05:31
Hi guys - just seeing the clip of Tanaka Fumon from Mind, Body and Kickass Moves, and thought I'd point out another clip from the same series - of Kuroda Tetsuzan Sensei demonstrating Komogawa Kaishin Ryu kenjutsu, Tamiya Ryu iaijutsu and I think some Shishin Takuma Ryu jujutsu.

I had never seen any footage of Kuroda Sensei, although I had heard a lot about him - I've gotta say, I thought this clip was very impressive.

Without further ado:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InlQtTMK5Ys

UKPatrick
23rd May 2006, 10:33
Brendan,

thanks for this, it was good to see it again. However, I'm sure it can be improved if I can just find a way to edit Chris Crudelli out of it.

Patrick

Chris Brown
23rd May 2006, 12:50
Brendan,

Thanks for tracking that down. I never get tired of watching him in action.

I can tell you is that to see Kuroda Sensei on film doesn't do him justice. The man is an amazing martial artist and teacher.

When he was here in Texas to teach us a few weeks ago, I had the chance to directly compare that footage to the man in action. It was truly an experience to remember. What I find equally impressive about him, is that despite his skills and abilities, he is a very humble and down to earth person with quite a lively sense of humor. He's a firm and capable teacher, but still allows and even encourages us to have fun while we train. It's a very pleasant combination that makes for a great training environment.

If you ever get the opportunity to see him give a demonstration somewhere, which he does from time to time, do yourself a favor and attend. I assure you it will be time well spent.

Patrick, I agree that Chris Crudelli must go. I know they are trying to attract a certain audience, but his "commentary" voiced over Kuroda Sensei's demonstration is a bit like nails on a chalkboard during Beethoven.

Best Regards,

Arman
23rd May 2006, 15:16
Kuroda's sword skills are very impressive. I saw him demonstrate his iai kata, and I can tell you I've never seen someone so blindingly fast. I was sitting only a few feet from him and I just couldn't follow the blade or his footwork clearly.

His jujutsu, on the other hand, is somewhat strange, to say the least.

Best,
Arman Partamian

Finny
23rd May 2006, 15:41
When he was here in Texas to teach us a few weeks ago, I had the chance to directly compare that footage to the man in action. It was truly an experience to remember. What I find equally impressive about him, is that despite his skills and abilities, he is a very humble and down to earth person with quite a lively sense of humor. He's a firm and capable teacher, but still allows and even encourages us to have fun while we train. It's a very pleasant combination that makes for a great training environment.

Absolutely - that's IMHO the ideal martial artist - amazingly skillful, but still humble, funny and just a regular bloke happy to enjoy what he loves. It came across in the clip.

Kuroda's sword skills are very impressive. I saw him demonstrate his iai kata, and I can tell you I've never seen someone so blindingly fast.

This is exactly what I meant by "I had heard a lot about him before I saw this clip" - I had heard from multiple sources that his iai is amazing and ridiculously fast. While the clip didnt show him doing iai blindingly fast, it didn't need to - you can see the sheer ability and ease of what he does... and you can also see that he could likely turn up the pace several notches if he so desired.

If you ever get the opportunity to see him give a demonstration somewhere, which he does from time to time, do yourself a favor and attend. I assure you it will be time well spent.

I may well do more than take an opportunity - I might just have to create one. As I said - very impressive.

I'm sure it can be improved if I can just find a way to edit Chris Crudelli out of it.

Agreed.

Hmmmm - for some reason it wants 'more than ten characters....' hopefully that'll do...

hyaku
23rd May 2006, 19:24
I don't moderate the koryu section but it was double posted here. Regardless off the arrows the unko zawari tameshigiri gets my vote to be considered questionable. Most ryu techniques demand you stick the koshi in, not do a toilet squat!

Any further reliable info would be welcome to give good reason why this should not be questionable.

Just because the guy is Japanese does not make him an expert. I am sure if a few people began to realize that he would sell less books

niten ninja
23rd May 2006, 19:35
If I never hear Chris Crudelli again it'll be a million years too soon... A kiai is basically the same as chi...

drmarc
23rd May 2006, 22:57
Mr. Collins:

I had the real honor of training with him at an Aiki Expo. His swordsmanship and his family style jujutsu are amazing. The only thing baffling about him is how he got so damn good! As other people noted, he is humble, and open to teaching anybody who is interested. If you want a more authoritative source on how good he is, e-mail James Williams from Bugei Trading Company.

marc abrams

Finny
24th May 2006, 01:48
I'm pretty sure that Mr. Hyakutake thought I had posted the Tanaka Fumon clip again, and that's why he moved it.

I've sent him a PM.

Chris Brown
24th May 2006, 02:46
As one of Kuroda Sensei's students, I was pretty surprised to see him here in "Baffling Budo" as well. Having read Hyaku's post, I also think he was referring to the other thread, since Kuroda Sensei doesn't do arrow tricks and the like. No need for tricks when you can do what he can do, and you know what he knows. However, since apparently Kuroda Sensei was featured on the same program as the other gentleman, that may be the source of the mixup. Hyaku, if you read this, please reconsider your movement of this thread.

If anyone truly is asking, "Is this real?" let me be the first to say, not only is it real, he has indeed turned it down SEVERAL notches in order for the camera to be able to catch his movements both in kenjutsu and in iaijutsu. "Blindingly fast" is a bit of an understatement really, and his accuracy is impeccable. Some people find his jujutsu unusual, and I suppose in some ways it is, but it is a great compliment to properly learning the techniques of the sword he teaches. Properly learning the jujutsu really teaches you how to apply the sword.

There is no secret to how he got so good. His grandfather and his father began training him in simple things at the age of one, and he has trained every day since then. According to some of our senior students, as he ages, his skills, abilities and speed just continue to develop and become further refined. The only secrets are time and effort, according to Sensei.

Another thing that really surprised me is how well controlled his movements are. This is something that really has to be seen and felt in person. When you place your hands on him and feel the ways in which he is able to move individual muscles and muscle groups independently of one another, it is difficult for Westerners to imagine, such that it is almost beyond belief. However, you are there, and he does it in front of you and teaches you the theories and principles of how it is done. The end result, as Crudelli observed, is that he gives you no warning of what he is about to do. There are no clues given away, and these practices make his movements so fluid and so fast as to seem almost inhuman. I've heard this referred to as his having "alien bug muscles" and it is easy to see how that phrase developed.

His speed is also surprising when you consider that all of his styles are very soft, and really stress the moderation of power. It was difficult for me to begin to learn that the two are totally independent of one another.

Finny, creating an opportunity to train with Kuroda Sensei can indeed be one of the most rewarding things you can do. I searched for quite some years to find a teacher like him, and a learning environment like that fostered in his ryu-gi. I think the operating principle is that (and these are my words not his. I speak only for myself) we take our training VERY seriously. We really try not to take OURSELVES too seriously. It's a good mix. There's very little ego at work, especially from Kuroda Sensei, and a lot of good training.

P Goldsbury
24th May 2006, 04:29
I have moved the thread to Koryu: History & Tradition. If necessary it will be moved again.

hyaku
24th May 2006, 15:35
Sorry about that guys. Yes, I did think it was another arrow chop movie.

Chris Brown
24th May 2006, 16:08
Gentlemen, the move back to the Koryu Forum is much appreciated. Thank you very much.

Ames
9th October 2006, 00:39
I'm just wondering if anyone knows where the Shinbukan Kuroda Dojo is located? I did a search here and with google and couldnt find any info.

Thanks in advance

Ames
9th October 2006, 01:30
Sorry. I just realized that this post should have gone into the Koryu Dojo finder section, if a mod can move it there, that'd be great.

renfield_kuroda
9th October 2006, 04:42
Best to contact Shinbukan directly with any questions, as no one is allowed to comment on Shinbukan and therefore no one who actually knows anything can/will answer you on an internet chat board.

Regards,

r e n

Dave Weider
9th October 2006, 09:22
I'm just wondering if anyone knows where the Shinbukan Kuroda Dojo is located? I did a search here and with google and couldnt find any info.

Thanks in advance
00.2 seconds Google
http://www.shinjinkai.org/programs_shinbukan.htm

http://jbull.home.texas.net/biography.html

Ames
9th October 2006, 23:38
Mr.Kuroda,

Thanks for the info, was unaware of that fact.

Mr.Weider,

Thanks for the links. I had actually found those sites, but thought I'd just pose the question here, rather than bothering either of those groups with a personal email. Guess that's what I'll have to do.

Thanks for the info guys.

Ames
10th October 2006, 08:31
Geez Dave,

Umm, I don't know how what I said made you so angry. I was actually thanking you.

When I said 'couldn't find any info', I meant that in referance to 'where the dojo is located', not 'couldn't find any info at all.'

Let's chaulk it up to internet miscommunication.

I think you are a little out of line calling me a liar.

I was really thanking you for the info, and understand that things like this can't alway be broadcast on the web. I had found those websites in my google search, but no information regarding how one would get in touch with the dojo.

Well now we know you are a self interested liar who can't be trusted to post a straight question. Good to know. Thanks.

I don't really know how what I posted wasn't a straight question. I said I was looking for information on

where the Shinbukan Kuroda Dojo is located

and then said:

I did a search here and with google and couldnt find any info.

Meaning, I couldn't find info pertaining to where the dojo is located. Don't take things so seriously. I was asking an innocent question. Nothing more, nothing less.

JAnstey
10th October 2006, 08:58
Hi Chris

Don't sweat it, I couldn't find anything wrong with your question or comments.

I imagine the response is probably directed at something else and not you personally.

Cheers

Jason

P Goldsbury
10th October 2006, 09:12
First you post this...

Then you post this....

Well now we know you are a self interested liar who can't be trusted to post a straight question. Good to know. Thanks.

Hello, I am a moderator of E-Budo and should state that it is quite unacceptable to call another member a liar. I think you owe Mr Ames an apology.

ijin
3rd August 2008, 10:58
The region where the Shinbukan Kuroda Hombu Dojo is situated
is called Saitama-shi (info from various websites)
Maybe this sites can help you, you might ask there
http://jbull.home.texas.net/biography.html
http://www.shinjinkai.org/programs_shinbukan.html
http://namiryu.com/about/tetsuzanhtml/
http://shinbukan-europe.over-blog.com/

maybe it is best to ask the linked dojos in europe and america...