PDA

View Full Version : Ryute

lime
16th October 2006, 00:17
here is the website http://www.kushu.com/

I don't know but this guy learned from someone who learned from someone who only taught family members and say the Ryukyu were part of china at one time.

just sounds weird.

shoshinkan
16th October 2006, 00:51
from what I have seen (video) and been told by good sources you have just stumbled across a superb Okinawan karate group and system, in fact one of the best.

gmanry
16th October 2006, 03:56
Indeed,

Mr. Oyata is definitely legitimate. One only needs to watch him in action to see the depth of what he teaches.

Bod
16th October 2006, 11:34
And here lies the problem:

How does a newbie tell the difference between Mr. Oyata and a Mr. Oyata wannabe?

There are clues on the RyuTe(C) website, such as the lack of the word 'deadly' the lack of fancy uniforms and lack of fancy titles.

Yet every now and then a good artist can look like a fraud. My own teacher's 9th Dan Certificate had a mistake on it (the date was in the future) and he had to get it sent back to the association to get corrected, when an eagle eyed student spotted the mistake.

Fakes consistently work hard to get their name in print, and work hard to get surrounded by a huge group of their own wannabes, so reputation isn't everything.

In the end, only your own limited experience can tell you what is good and what is bad. And experience takes time and effort to gain.

chufeng
21st October 2006, 00:55
Better than seeing him in action is being on the receiving end of his technique...
Once you feel the pain, you'll appreciate what you see with different eyes.

chufeng

p.s. ...and yes, it is difficult to tell much from a web page.

chizikunbo
21st October 2006, 12:47
You have stumbled across the website of Tashi Jim Louge, a 9th dan under Taika Seiyu Oyata. Taika Oyata lives in Independence Missouri, and as such has a long history in this area, arriving in '77 I believe. Most of his students are very capable practicioners. I have studied Ryukyu Kempo for about 5 years (Ryukyu Kempo was the name used for Taikas art before he renamed it Ryu Te.)
Taika Oyata has two groups Ryu Te, and Oyata Shin Shu Ho Ryu (Oyatas truthful hand method). Ryu Te is his general art, open to the public, it teaches Naihanchi 1-3, Tomari Seisan, Pinan 1-5, Passai, Kusanku, Niseishi, which Taika learned from Shigeru Nakumura. Ryu Te also has many Kobudo forms for the Bo, Jo, Tan Bo, Nunte Bo, Eiku, Chizikunbo, Tonfa, Sai, Manji Sai, and Nunchaku. These are all taught with Taika Oyatas superb understanding of bunkai. He introduced Tuite, and Kyusho to the united states. In his art of Oyata Shin Shu Ho Ryu, he teaches only to a select group of long time students, he teaches the family arts he inherited from two Okinawan bushi. One was Wakinaguri no Ten Mei whome was a descendent of Chinese martial artists living on Okinawa, and the other was Uhugushuku no Tan Mei, whom Taika inherited his family system, seal, (thus name) etc.
Uhugushuku called Oyata Mago (which means grandson) and passed on his family art to Taika so it would not be lot for future generations.
In Okinawa Taika is known as Habu, for his rythmatic movements, and strong strikes.
In a nutshel, they are very legit, and very talented practicioners, whos depth of knowledge far exceeds many others...
Sincerly,
--Josh

Raul Perez
14th February 2007, 17:48
I remember reading that the Ryukyu Kingdom was in heavy trades with China and paid tributes to the chinese emperor. So it could be that the Ryukyu chain was once ruled by China.

As for RyuTe. It's legit bro. And Jim Logue was one of the men who were instrumental in bringing Oyata to the states from Okinawa.

Brian Owens
15th February 2007, 06:41
... I don't know but this guy...say the Ryukyu were part of china at one time. just sounds weird.
The Ryukyus, although off and on an independent kingdom, have been variously claimed by China and Japan over the centuries.

Currently it is considered a Japanese prefecture, but the younger generation often can't communicate with their elders because the youngsters speak Nihongo (Japanese) and the elders speak Uchinaguchi (Okinawan).

P Goldsbury
15th February 2007, 11:35
I am moving this thread to the karate forum.

Jeff Cook
28th February 2007, 23:30
Is the system taught in the Ryu Kyu's, and if so, where and by whom?

Jeff Cook

Jeff Cook
1st March 2007, 17:25
It is allegedly an Okinawan art; surely it is actually taught on Okinawa?

Jeff Cook

Brian Owens
1st March 2007, 19:18
Ryu Te is the name Oyata Sensei has chosen for his organization. Oyata Sensei is USA based.

In Okinawa it would be refered to as Ryukyu Kempo.

TReeves
1st March 2007, 22:23
Here is a link to his association website. It should give you all the information you would like about him and his association.

http://www.ryute.com

Jeff Cook
2nd March 2007, 00:01
Thanks, guys. I thought that "Ryukyu kempo" was a generic term that very loosly identifies ALL forms of karate from Okinawa?

Jeff Cook

Brian Owens
2nd March 2007, 04:10
...I thought that "Ryukyu kempo" was a generic term that very loosly identifies ALL forms of karate from Okinawa?
I could be mistaken, but my impression is that the newer system generally use "Karate" with either the "Tang Hand" or "Empty Hand" kanji, while the older systems favor "Ryukyu Kempo."

Raul Perez
8th March 2007, 18:03
Oyata was originally based out of Machiminato, Okinawa. He moved to the USA many moons ago and has been teaching out of Missouri.

stauffer214
13th March 2007, 03:48
How does this system differ from karate?

TonyU
13th March 2007, 11:19
How does this system differ from karate?
It is karate.

Oyatafan
21st September 2008, 10:55
The way I've heard Master Oyata explain it is that this system is karate before Itosu and Funakoshi developed the system to teach children. Meaning it's the way karate was before it got watered down. It goes WAAY beyond the basic punching and kicking and includes techniques you will NEVER see in a sport karate system. Taika's method of bunkai is totally different from any other martial art style that I've ever seen