PDA

View Full Version : Censorship

Ade
16th October 2006, 18:07
Gassho

I had a discussion today in which it was suggested that e-budo is dangerous.

It was postulated that it should be censored to prevent undermining traditional Japanese martial art values.

The commentator suggested that we have been allowed to get away with it for far too long and require guidance on subject matter deemed to be acceptable for discussion.

No matter what I said they wouldn't listen and I couldn't think of too many good arguements because I was that gob-smacked. :eek:

So what do you think, is it just me that thinks this is a good idea or is this forum a step too far?

Kesshu

dirk.bruere
16th October 2006, 19:24
Gassho

I had a discussion today in which it was suggested that e-budo is dangerous.

It was postulated that it should be censored to prevent undermining traditional Japanese martial art values.

The commentator suggested that we have been allowed to get away with it for far too long and require guidance on subject matter deemed to be acceptable for discussion.

No matter what I said they wouldn't listen and I couldn't think of too many good arguements because I was that gob-smacked. :eek:

So what do you think, is it just me that thinks this is a good idea or is this forum a step too far?

Kesshu

Saying something that someone disapproves of is always a step to far - for someone. The notion of free speech is an alien concept to most of Humanity throughout most of history. Maybe it's just a Western fad that will die out.

http://www.onetribe.me.uk - The UK's only occult talk show
Presented by Dirk Bruere and Marc Power on ResonanceFM 104.4 http://www.resonancefm.com

Steve Williams
16th October 2006, 19:33
Any medium for discussion is dangerous if not used in the correct way.

If people (kenshi/senseis/non-kenshi/whoever) state things on here which are designed to create controversy then this is not going to be any help for either the federation/branch in question or for ShorinjiKempo in general.

I totally disagree with censorship, or with blanket censorship, but if people cannot write with a degree of self-control and with a thought for the organisation as a whole, then I am not above editing or deleting posts/threads.

So, as far as censorship goes, if I am still moderating here then (as long as e-budo is run the same as it has been until now) there will be no censorship.
BUT if people do continue to write annoying/inflamatory/stupid/harmful/un-researched/wrong information, then I will edit/delete (yes, censor) posts.