PDA

View Full Version : Tokushu Keibo / Keibo-Jutsu

JamesF
18th December 2000, 13:50
Hi,

Does anyone know any technical details of the Keibo-Jutsu used by the Japanese Police?

Are there any informative websites out there? All i've found to date is along the lines of "Keibo-Jutsu is..." or "Keibo-Jutsu is based on...".

Or, any books you could recomend with some good info?

Oh, i wasn't sure whether to put this in the Jodo group due to the connections with Ikkaku Ryu Jutte-Jutsu - but i decided here was fine :)

Thanks people,

Have a nice Christmas and great New Year all.

James.

Meik Skoss
18th December 2000, 17:19
Japanese police baton techniques are, as described by Donn Draeger in his *Modern Bujutsu and Budo*, derived from the Ikkaku-ryu (a school of juttejutsu associated with/subsumed by Shinto Muso-ryu jojutsu) and an admixture of other stuff from a variety of sources.

Nothing is available in English about either system, to my knowledge, nor is it likely that there ever will be, since the police in Japan tend to be rather close-mouthed about a lot of their stuff. Obviously, the less available sensitive material is, the less likely the bad guys will know what it is you're likely to do. A few non-Japanese did train in the police-related combatives (including taihojutsu), and it may be possible to gain some information from them. Or it may not -- you'd have to fine/ask them.

What I recall of the techniques is pretty simple: basically it's just smack the guy on the attacking arm/fist/leg/foot, take him down, smack him across the torso to discourage any further resistance (i.e., knock the fight out of 'im), then handcuff or tie him up and cart him off to the pokey. None of it was rocket science, but it helps if one has a decent understanding of ma-ai, hyoshi/choshi, hassuji, and kurai.

Hope this helps.

ghp
18th December 2000, 22:36
Meik,

Doesn't Rick Polland teach this at the Beikoku Renbukan in Severna Park, MD?

Regards (and Holiday Greetings),
Guy

JamesF
21st December 2000, 19:09
Hi,

Thanks for the repplies guys.

I've read the info produced by Draeger and Cunnigham and was wondering what else (if anything) was out there.

Back to the search engines....:(

Jack B
21st December 2000, 21:52
Rick Polland wrote a book with Kaminoda sensei about the collapsable baton techniques of the Japanese police. I do not believe it is available outside of police channels however.

There is a video available from Tozando's "Nihon no Kobudo Archives" that features Hiroi and Yoneno sensei (both menkyo kaiden SMR) demonstrating the Ikkaku-ryu juttejutsu as well as Isshin-ryu kusarigamajutsu. #BCV38 at 9800 Yen (pricey).

Jack Bieler

JamesF
22nd December 2000, 18:58
Has anyone seen the Rick Polland / Kaminoda Sensei book?

Sounds interesting - what about any other books on the subject?

Thanks,

James :)

JamesF
24th December 2000, 09:50
OK, if there's nothing available (readily) on the Japanese police stick style of Keibo-Jutsu what abut the Occidental styles?

Are they similar to Keibo-Jutsu or are they way different?

Are there any informative websites/books that demonstrate the kind of techniques used?

I've seen a little bit on the use of the baton by the US Military Police. It was in one of their downloadable FM's (19-15 i think).

Hope it's ok to push the topic to a more western angle :)

Thanks,

James.

Troy Wideman
1st January 2001, 19:52
Hello Everyone!

First off I would like to wish everyone a Happy New Year. Found this post interesting so I thought I would put in my two cents. I am qualified ASP Instructor and an Ontario Use of Force Instructor. As far as baton techniques for occidentals, it is extremely basic. This is partly due to the fact police only get 2 hours a year to train in baton (truthfully probably works out to about 1 hour). Therefore the techniques are very basic in nature, Open Mode (Weapon side Reaction side strike- X type strike), closed mode (Weapon side, Reaction Side, straight strike. Some very basic baton retention is taught and no controling hold, due to the fact for the lack of time. Police officers just don't have the time to become skilled enough to learn effective controling holds with the baton, it is primarily used as a striking weapon. I would be interested to know the exact number of hours a year that the Japanese police get to train in unarmed combat or baton.

Kind Regards,

Troy Wideman
Genbukan Mugen Dojo
Shibu Cho