PDA

View Full Version : "Shimay Muso Ryu Iaido"?

Fred27
25th October 2006, 11:20
Found a site (http://www.cmac1.com/hasu/kobudo.htm) where it says they are training "Shimay Muso Ryu Iaido". First time I've heard of it. The iaido-clip in the bottom of the page looked like either Muso Shinden or Eishin-ryu.

Cassius
25th October 2006, 12:46
Found a site (http://www.cmac1.com/hasu/kobudo.htm) where it says they are training "Shimay Muso Ryu Iaido". First time I've heard of it. The iaido-clip in the bottom of the page looked like either Muso Shinden or Eishin-ryu.

From their site:

We study Seitei Iaido, Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iaido and Shimay Muso Ryu Iaido.
[...]
We study Tachi Uchi No Karai from the Jikiden school of Iaido, and the sword of Miyomoto Musashi, Niten Ichi Ryu.

It smells vague, perhaps even fishy to me...

sven beulke
25th October 2006, 12:49
Hi Fred!
" Shimay " sounds not very japanese. I guess is the sort of self craeted style that could be found im masses, most founded on something they had seen or maybe eveb leraned for a while, most likely MSR or MJER ! They practice sai wearing a hakama and also escrima! If you see this on a web site forget about it!
Greetings

25th October 2006, 12:54
"Shinmei" is the word, also pronounced "shimmei". "Shinmay" is not a conventional romanization, nor is it consistent with the other spellings on that page. Probably just a spelling mistake.

Andy Watson
25th October 2006, 13:31
Ah yes, Patrice. I have met him on a number of seminars. He's a nice guy, quiet and unassuming. He went to the Kyoto Iai Taikai in 97.

I think he is legitimate. He has spent a lot of his life devoted to martial arts and came over to the UK a couple of times for Haruna-sensei's seminars I seem to remember.

rottunpunk
25th October 2006, 20:57
the yaegaki isnt too bad.
some timing issues that i can see,
and im trying to move away from that kind of a cover after sune gakoi
but then, mine probably looks worse :rolleyes:
:p

Brian Owens
26th October 2006, 03:37
I concur; it's just a bad romanization of "Shimmei."

Shimmei Muso Ryu was the original name Hayashizaki Shigenobu gave his art.

I wasn't aware that any schools were still using that name, what with Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu and Muso Shinden Ryu having become the common names for the lines descended from Shimmei Muso Ryu some time ago.

SLeclair
26th October 2006, 09:09
I've seen Patrice around in CKF seminars. They've always done MJER with us. I've never heard them claim/seen them practice Shimmei Muso Ryu and don't know where they would have picked it up. Of course the seminars were MJER/MSR so it might just not have come up.

Fred27
26th October 2006, 19:28
Shimmei Muso Ryu was the original name Hayashizaki Shigenobu gave his art.

Now that I do recognise. :)

Thanks all! :)

Brian Owens
26th October 2006, 21:47
I have sent an e-mail to the CMAC headquarters, letting them know of our concerns/questions regarding "Shimay."

yoj
26th October 2006, 23:20
Good call Brian.

Vedenant
27th October 2006, 10:13
IsnŽt that the Belgian branch????

....IŽll get me coat.....

Brian Owens
27th October 2006, 20:55
...They practice sai wearing a hakama...
Teruo Hayashi often wore hakama when training with sai...and bo, nichogama, tenbe, etc.

Are you going to suggest that he was not legitimate?

sven beulke
28th October 2006, 12:05
Hi Brian!
Its rather uncommen to wear hakama while doing ryukyu kobudo. Of cause i have seen(on tape) enbu where high ranking sensei demonstrate in hakama but its most often not a good sign. But what about eskrima in hakama?
Greetings

Brian Owens
28th October 2006, 12:38
...Its rather uncommen to wear hakama while doing ryukyu kobudo.
Yes, it is. But the point I was making is that you can't take just one facet like that and judge a whole school; you need to look at the large picture.

...But what about eskrima in hakama?
Maybe they don't own any Filipino outfits?

Okay, it's a bit odd, but I am not one to cast the first stone.

Brian Dunham
28th October 2006, 15:22
It has actually been pretty common to see Japanese exponents of Ryukyu Kobudo demonstrating in hakama. I'm thinking not only of Hayashi and Kuniba,but also Motokatsu Inoue and his son,whose name escapes me at the moment.

gmanry
28th October 2006, 17:16
The consistent mis-transliteration of Japanese terminology is somewhat disconcerting.

However, it appears this teacher does attend a large amount of seminars and travels to Japan for training. It isn't like he appeared at one seminar with a broken foot or something and asked for rank. :rolleyes:

Without seeing his students perform, I would just list him as eclectic but dedicated to general budo. He certainly wouldn't be the first and won't be the last.

The Hakama thing could simply be explained as means of keeping student costs down, but I will admit the Kali practice in Hakama is a little funny.

gmanry
28th October 2006, 17:26
Ah video clips, well then...

Nothing I see horribly out of the ordinary. His yaegaki is different from ours in some respects, his timing is different, but then I don't expect everyone to be exactly the same (personally I think it is unhealthy in budo to have everyone exactly the same).

Kobudo seems a little "flat." I see this a lot though in a wide variety of kata based arts. So, that too is really just me. However, I don't see anything in these videos as being horrendous.

The Kali is reminiscent of any group that does not study Kali as their main art. It lacks the smooth flow of experienced practitioners. They have a pattern down and that is a bout it.

I was part of a karate dojo that had this sort of practice. I largely just stayed clear of it, because I had seen the real thing. What we were doing wasn't it.

I have definitely seen better than what this dojo produces, but I have seen far, far, far, far worse.

Brian Owens
29th October 2006, 08:17
...Motokatsu Inoue and his son,whose name escapes me at the moment.
Inoue Kisho.

Andy Watson
29th October 2006, 16:39
Ah come on guys. I don't think it's appropriate to be taking this guy apart. He is making no claims of hanshiness and he trains hard with what little exposure he gets from other sensei. He doesn't qualify for KKKKKK because he does actually train in iaido and attend seminars.

I think there are far bigger fish to fry if you want to critisize web-based martial arts pages and if you ever got round to hacking at Patrice then I think I would start to worry about myself...

:)

Kim Taylor
9th November 2006, 03:14
Well let's see. He's been doing iaido for 10-15 years, been seen by 10-12 7 and 8dan instructors from Japan and they all seem to think he's OK.

He's also been seen by 6-7 menkyo kaiden, hachidan jodo sensei in the last 4-5 years and is currently 4dan in Jodo. They seem to think he's OK too.

However he doesn't get his !!! out to my class as often as I'd like to see him... some lame excuse about teaching his own students... so everyone send him an email and tell him to come out to Guelph this Sunday with his students who are coming for a visit.

Why are Grammas and eggs coming to mind every time I look at the forum these days?

:-)

Kim Taylor

Douglas Wylie
9th November 2006, 15:23
Why are Grammas and eggs coming to mind every time I look at the forum these days?

I'll take "Is he hungry for a good, homecooked breakfast?" for $1000.

:)