PDA

View Full Version : Good school?

Toby
28th October 2006, 15:42
You guys know that I have been looking for a place to train for a while now. Well the other day I got a flier from these guys http://www.bushido.us/cmsmaa/ and their actually right down the road from the school I was looking at before. I think this might be the better choice. I'm going to check it out on Monday but is there any that I should ask them?

armanox
29th October 2006, 19:02
Ask them about costs - I always ask about them, even if I'm just a guest at the school. Also ask them about there testing fees - make sure they are not outrageous as you get to upper ranks. Otherwise just see what you think. Perhaps at some point in the not-too-near future I could pay them a visit, since it is a Kobayashi Ryu school.

Nyuck3X
29th October 2006, 19:14
If these guys train directly under Nakazato or
Yamashita sensei, then I would say there is
a good chance they are legit.

Toby
29th October 2006, 20:37
Thanx guys I'll let you know how it goes.

trevorg
30th October 2006, 17:12
I just know that name from somewhere. I think it was about 3 or 4 years and setting up some sort of global organisation rang bells, perhaps he was looking for representation in the UK/Europe. Cant remember properly, but worth checking him out anyway.

Toby
25th November 2006, 17:21
I finally made it out to the school last week but I guess I got there to early because it was a taekwondo class. I talked to the instructor and watched the class and was really impressed. I've checked out like 5 different schools in the last 6 months and I think that this one looks the most legit to me. The instructors also a kickboxer. I do have some questions though. He said he teaches a family taekwondo class and that the karate class separates by age groups. Is it ok to take a class with elementary school kids and older people? I also knew that I should ask him a bout his credentials and he told me that he is with the all japan karate union. Is that weird since taekwondo is korean? He did say that what he taught was more like karate than the olympic taekwondo.

Toby
25th November 2006, 17:46
Ask them about costs - I always ask about them, even if I'm just a guest at the school. Also ask them about there testing fees - make sure they are not outrageous as you get to upper ranks. Otherwise just see what you think. Perhaps at some point in the not-too-near future I could pay them a visit, since it is a Kobayashi Ryu school.

$65 a month

no test fees, but I did here the instructor tell the class that when they move to their new 14,000 sq. ft. facility that he will probably start charging like 15 or 20 dollars for belt tests

armanox
25th November 2006, 18:37
Doesn't sound too bad cost wise, but I do wonder about TKD in a Japanese organization.

Toby
25th November 2006, 19:49
Just reread over a handout I picked up at the school. It mentions the current tkd history tracing its roots back through the hwarang to 2,000+ years being bologna. He says that his lineage goes back through korean masters to shotokan and shudokan karate with some influence from chuan fa. maybe this view somehow validates his membership in a japanese org. just a guess.

TonyU
25th November 2006, 20:03
Everything about the the site says Shorin Ryu. He is of the Yamashita lineage a direct student of Nakazato sensei. Yamasahita call his "influences" Suikendo. No problem there. Yamashita sensei is an exceptional and legit instructor and IMO would not have any slouches in his organization.
My concern is that you keep staing that TKD is also being taught there. A couple of questions comes to mind.
1. Is it a seperate class or combined with Shorin Ryu? If combined, red flag.
2. A seperate instructor or the same one? Same instructor plus combined then definitely a red flag.
3. Are rquirements for ranking coming form both TKD and Shorin Ryu? Same thing.

Toby
25th November 2006, 20:06
No the guy teaching karate is Shannon Lanier the guy teaching taekwondo is Jason Gatts.

TonyU
25th November 2006, 20:14
No the guy teaching karate is Shannon Lanier the guy teaching taekwondo is Jason Gatts.
Ok I'm confused. So, they are teaching TKD under the same roof as well?
Nothing wrong with that, just curious.
If so, which one are going to train in?

Toby
25th November 2006, 20:20
Yes the taekwondo class meets on mondays and wensdays from 5-6:30.
The karate classes are mondays wensdays and fridays childrens from 6:40-7:30 and adults from 7:40-8:45.
I think I'm going to join the tkd class because it really looks good but I might go watch a karate class first thats why I asked if I should be concerned with the whole "family" thing a the tkd being through a japanese organization.

TonyU
25th November 2006, 20:28
Yes the taekwondo class meets on mondays and wensdays from 5-6:30.
The karate classes are mondays wensdays and fridays childrens from 6:40-7:30 and adults from 7:40-8:45.
I think I'm going to join the tkd class because it really looks good but I might go watch a karate class first thats why I asked if I should be concerned with the whole "family" thing a the tkd being through a japanese organization.
Ok he has not updated his site. Why I was confused.

TKD does have Japanese influences. Don't worry about that. Try them both out, pick the one you want. Enjoy and have fun.
While I'm partial to the Shorin Ryu, ultimately it's up to you. If you enjoy it and get value from it who are we to tell you different.
Good luck.

Toby
25th November 2006, 20:30
thanks for the advice. I think I'll do just that.

Prince Loeffler
25th November 2006, 20:34
If I may ask:

Here's the school's kata syllabus

http://www.bushido.us/cmsmaa/index.cfm?page=14

Do they combined these kata as part of one curricullum ?

The reason I asked is that there's a mixed and matched systems here such as Shorin Ryu and Shotokan.

My understanding is that the Taikyoku ( Spelled as Taikiyoki) are the Shotokan's basic kata for beginners while the Fukyugata Ichi ( Matsubayahi Ryu) ,Fukyugata Ni ( Maysubayashi Ryu & Goju Ryu) and Fukyugata San ( Ueshiro Ansei creation) are the Shorin Ryu basic kata.

The only style I know that practices the Taikyoku Shodan thru Godan was in Kyukushinkai Karate ( I could be wrong)

What I am asking is not the instructor's legitimacy but rather what is being taught in there. Are they Shotokan ? or are they Shorin Ryu ? because according to the site the foundation of the dojo is Shorin Ryu.

Thanks in advance for the clarifications.

Toby
25th November 2006, 20:42
I think the karate is shorin ryu I haven't met that instructor yet.

TonyU
25th November 2006, 20:46
Good catch Loeffler sensei. I didn't see the curriculum.

Mr. Rill, just so you don't misunderstand. Loeffler sensei and I are Shorin Ryu practioners albeit different lineage. Since you have asked us for some help we're trying to make sure you get the most bagk for your buck and not being mislead.
In my case I take great insult to wannabe Shori Ryu stylist as it what I dedicated half my life to.

Toby
25th November 2006, 20:53
Thank you I appreciate it. That's why I came here. When I meet the karate instructor I will mention it to him and let him know that we are talking about it here.

I'm also wondering if there is a place like this where I can find some info on the tkd instructor, like a korean version of e-budo or something.

Prince Loeffler
25th November 2006, 21:07
Good catch Loeffler sensei. I didn't see the curriculum.

Mr. Rill, just so you don't misunderstand. Loeffler sensei and I are Shorin Ryu practioners albeit different lineage. Since you have asked us for some help we're trying to make sure you get the most bagk for your buck and not being mislead.
In my case I take great insult to wannabe Shori Ryu stylist as it what I dedicated half my life to.

Thanks Urena Sensei, What I fail to understand if the person in charged is under Tadashi Yamashita Sensei, why not have the same syllabus as Yamashita Sensei Organization ?. My Sensei once said to me " If you have a BMW with a Volkswagen engine, don't sell it as BMW"

TonyU
25th November 2006, 21:11
Thanks Urena Sensei, What I fail to understand if the person in charged is under Tadashi Yamashita Sensei, why not have the same syllabus as Yamashita Sensei Organization ?. My Sensei once said to me " If you have a BMW with a Volkswagen engine, don't sell it as BMW"
Agreed. Once you pointed it out is raised concerns with me as well.
Well, anyway lets see how it goes.

Joseph Svinth
26th November 2006, 05:43
I have corresponded with Jason Gatts, the TKD instructor. From my interactions with him, he seems to be one of the good guys.

As for contacting him, try BudoSeek! He posts there sometimes, in the KMA sections.

TonyU
26th November 2006, 15:25
I have corresponded with Jason Gatts, the TKD instructor. From my interactions with him, he seems to be one of the good guys.

As for contacting him, try BudoSeek! He posts there sometimes, in the KMA sections.
Aw man, I've been really slow on the uptake lately. I second Mr. Svinth.
I correspond with Gatts regurarly on Budoseek. He does seem to be one of the good guys. It does not appear you would go wrong with him.
Again good luck.