PDA

View Full Version : new doshu

dainippon99
19th December 2000, 00:20
I havent heard anyhting about the new doshu, moriteru ueshiba. does anyone know much about him? how good is his technique? what is he like as a person?

Chad Bruttomesso
19th December 2000, 03:37
To answer you question with a fairly biased answer I can say that I respect the “New Doshu” for who he is as a person and also for his technique. I say a biased view because I attended his 6:30 AM class 6 days a week for three years. I wouldn’t have kept going if I didn’t see something in his teaching.

To me the Doshu is very adept at what some would call the fundamental techniques (i.e. Shomenuchi Iriminage, Katatedor Shihonage, etc.). For me, I have heard and believe that to properly understand even these fundamental techniques can take a lifetime. In my opinion the Doshu is definitely a person that can demonstrate and teach a unique understanding of the fundamentals. Are the fundamentals not the basis for all other techniques? In addition the Doshu can teach/demonstrate much more complex techniques that are based on these fundamentals.

As a person I have had the opportunity to talk with the Doshu at length both in a training environment and a social setting. He is a very warm and jovial person that is approachable. The Doshu is quick to laughter and quite adept as a leader. Basically, I like the Doshu and feel that he has much to offer the Aikido community.

Thank you for your time.

Arashi
19th December 2000, 12:48
Hi.
I really do not know Moriteru Sensei as a person but he has allways been very kind to everyone i know that happened to be visiting and training at Aikikai Honbu Dojo since the times when he was only Dojo-cho and not Doshu and that includes me. He is a gentleman like his father was, but he is a little more light-hearted i should say. He laughs easyly. His Aikido is simply beautifull, a joy to see. Talking from my own experience it is not as strong to feel as uke as the Aikido of older Sensei of the Honbu, like Arikawa, Tada, Watanabe, Fujita and Masuda, but it is fast, precise, economical in movement and really beautifull. Ganbatte kudasai.

Toni Rodrigues

BC
19th December 2000, 15:34
Having only seen the current Doshu in person once, I admit I have had very limited exposure to his aikido. However, I agree with all of the above, and just add that I was also very impressed at his suwari waza. He was so smooth it seemed as if he was actually gliding across the mat.

grpenland
29th December 2000, 00:06
I've only seen film of Doshu performing Randori and it was absolutely wonderful to watch. If I remember correctly, the film was from the 37th All Japan Aikido Demonstration. My instructor (Dang Thong Phong) and some of the students from our dojo were able to participate in this demonstration as well as attend Doshu's class while in Japan. All of them felt very fortunate to have had to opportunity to go.

G. Randall Penland