PDA

View Full Version : "Karate Do Kyohan Collector's Edition."

James R. Finley
1st November 2006, 17:59
Does anyone know anything about the "Karate Do Kyohan Collector's Edition" sold by budovideos.com? Is it basically the same as the more common hardcover edition that has been around for decades (which I have)? I am really interested in knowing what the specific differences are between the two. I emailed budovideos.com but the response I received wasn't very helpful. (The folks in the office didn't know what the differences were except to say that it is different).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. James.

Patrick McCarthy
2nd November 2006, 03:43
Does anyone know anything about the "Karate Do Kyohan Collector's Edition" sold by budovideos.com? Is it basically the same as the more common hardcover edition that has been around for decades (which I have)? I am really interested in knowing what the specific differences are between the two. I emailed budovideos.com but the response I received wasn't very helpful. (The folks in the office didn't know what the differences were except to say that it is different).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. James.

Dear James,

I recently received the following information in an e-mail and wonder if this is what you're referring to?

<snip> ... the promotion of our new English translation of the 1935 Japanese edition of Karate Do Kyohan. <snip> ... a review of this brand new English translation of the Shotokan Master Text appears in the October edition of Shotokan Karate Magazine.

The translation/reproduction project took over 6 years to complete and is now available as an 8.5" X 11" archive quality hard-cover publication, this Collector's Edition contains the entire original text translation, all chapters, instructions, appendices, ancient poetry, artwork and 300+ photographs of Master Funakoshi and his associates from the original 1935 Japanese publication.

<snip>... a limited edition of 2500 copies worldwide. ....you can check out our web site at www.neptune-publications.com

Wishing you all the best,

Paul Argentieri
Neptune Publications

I hope this is what you were looking for?

James R. Finley
2nd November 2006, 12:24
Yes, that is the one I am talking about. I am trying to find someone who has actually seen it who can compare the two versions so that I can find out how different they really are (before shelling out that kind of cash). For instance, does Funakoshi demonstrate all or some of the kata or are there just a few shots of him doing some moves from the kata? Is the written text essentially the same? What kind of information is there on applications that is not in the regular version? Is the translation pretty good? That sort of stuff is what I am curious about.

Thanks for the link. I didn't know who the publisher was but had seen it advertised on the budovideos.com website. James.

Patrick McCarthy
2nd November 2006, 20:29
Yes, that is the one I am talking about. I am trying to find someone who has actually seen it who can compare the two versions so that I can find out how different they really are (before shelling out that kind of cash). For instance, does Funakoshi demonstrate all or some of the kata or are there just a few shots of him doing some moves from the kata? Is the written text essentially the same? What kind of information is there on applications that is not in the regular version? Is the translation pretty good? That sort of stuff is what I am curious about.

James,

I have not yet seen the book myself but have a copy on the way. According to their website, "The entire work has been translated and reproduced with over 300 original digitally re-mastered photos, 250+ application and technique notes, original art, ancient texts, and numerous supportive documents from Japanese dignitaries of the day!"

I have a copy of the original work [in Japanese] and the photos are of Funakoshi Gichin performing kata and applications. Also, there is much more in the original then what appears in Mr. Oshima's English translation. For example, on page 249 of Mr. Oshima's 1973 English translation there remain two articles from the Bubishi in Japanese text which he was unable/or unwilling to translate. There are also photos, calligraphy and text in the original which do not appear in Mr. Oshima's work.

Personally, I think the price tag is very reasonable for what we're getting and I hope you'll think so, too.

James R. Finley
3rd November 2006, 01:22
Yes, it sounds like a good deal. I think am going to go ahead and order it. (I figured I'd query the forum before I took the plunge!) Thanks again for the link and additional information. James.

TommyK
3rd November 2006, 01:33
Greetings,

I ordered the book, pre-publication, and received it and numerous updates as to its printing, shipping and so on. It arrived expertly packaged and is a true collectible.

The slipcase, binding and anciliary details of those involved in the book trade appear to be well-above average, as one would expect for the dollar outlay. As to content, I have it at work and tackle it 2-3 lunch hours a week. I also have the other referenced edition and so far it appears to be 'more complete'.

The quality of the translation, and I AM NOT an expert, appears to be well done. However, I note that the text states that the Heian kata are named 'peace' because (I am obviously paraphrasing here) after doing the 5 kata, the self defense techniques give one 'peace of mind'. I wonder how Mr. McCarthy and others, consider this turn of phrase?

Unless someone points out 'fatal' flaws in the translation, I am content with the delivered package and would consider the purchase of another body of work from the same people.

For a general reference I feel that the overall quality of the edition, is equal to, or above that displayed in Mr. Cook's "Shotokan Karate: A Precise History", which I also have. However, I can not yet comment on how it stands up on the translated content.

My 2 cents from NYC,
Regards,
Tom Militello

Patrick McCarthy
10th November 2006, 05:51
Folks,

Just received my copy of the said publication and --- WOW! This is nothing short of remarkable.

The entire package is just first class...I have nothing but praise for this work. With all due respect to Mr. Oshima's translation it doesn't even come close to this outstanding work.

Very satisfied

TommyK
10th November 2006, 14:51
Hello Mr. McCarthy,

Thanks for replying after the receipt of your copy. Glad you enjoyed the production. I'd really love to hear your opinion of the translation, after you have had time to digest it a little.

Regards,
TommyK