Mark Murray
7th November 2006, 19:58
The interview is here:

http://www.kyokushinbudokai.dk/interview_with_kancho_jon_blumin.htm

But it's the last sentence that really applies:

“Without kokoro, budo is simply an empty shell.”

Aaron T
7th November 2006, 23:07
We have hosted the man a couple of times, and will again. He is the real deal, his judo is amazing and, even though I am not a hit-kick type, he hits harder as a slap on the back because he is happy to see me, than most folks do in a fight.

I consider the time he has coached me to be one of the highlights of my career to date. He is a giant in all respects.

Aaron Fields
www.seattle-jujutsu.org

wreddock
7th November 2006, 23:42
Hi. Do you have a link to Jon Blumings Judo contest record. Thank you.

I have interviewed and documented Wim Ruska and Anton Geesink but I was never able to meet Jon Bluming.

Mark Murray
8th November 2006, 02:09
We have hosted the man a couple of times, and will again. He is the real deal, his judo is amazing and, even though I am not a hit-kick type, he hits harder as a slap on the back because he is happy to see me, than most folks do in a fight.

I consider the time he has coached me to be one of the highlights of my career to date. He is a giant in all respects.

Aaron Fields
www.seattle-jujutsu.org

Wow, lucky you. :) I've read some articles about him. He seemed like the real deal. Oh and tough. lol. Real tough.

johan smits
8th November 2006, 10:46
I never met Jon Bluming in person but he is one of the great budoka of our time. Some years ago I phoned him and asked him some questions about some things I was researching.
He was very polite and soft spoken.

It went something like this:

Me: "I am doing research on jujutsu."
JB: "Jujutsu - I never did jujutsu - I didn't like it. 80% of the techniques don't work the other 20 are in judo - so what do you need jujutsu for? "

Now I can't say I agree with this for 100% but the man has a point doesn't he?

Best regards,

Johan Smits

niten ninja
9th November 2006, 04:26
Wasn't that the point of judo? To preserve the components of other jujutsu ryu that Kano thought were important, or at least worked in the judo randori setting?

Aaron T
9th November 2006, 05:48
I'll let you debate the purpose Judo with the big man and just stand back and grimace. He prefers to make his point through action. :)

In truth, judo had many purposes. To modernize and westernize, to preserve what worked, and to add a new cultural twist to ju-jutsu. There are a number of great books on the subject.

Aaron Fields

johan smits
9th November 2006, 07:23
I think that a lot of jujutsu schools (far more than we think) did practice a form of randori. And Kano was not the only one with the idea to form a "national form of jujutsu" - admitted he was the one who succeeded in doing so. But more people like the Noguchi brothers for example came up with more or less the same idea. And probably others did too - only they didn't last and Kano (a big shot with important connections) did.

When I started out in judo I did so with a teacher who taught "old school" judo using the kawaishi method with leglocks and necklocks and all. He took the broader view, when I changed schools later and started training at a school where judo was purely taught as a sport my techniques didn't work very well in that environment (I seem to recall I landed on my behind a lot).

Have a happy day all.

Johan Smits