PDA

View Full Version : Mawashi Uchi-Oroshi Geri.

Jason H.P. Yoo
8th November 2006, 02:55
A question from the clueless: Why is it used?

treesurfer78
8th November 2006, 16:06
I can't say I'm familiar with the term. What technique from what style of budo is it?

Jason H.P. Yoo
9th November 2006, 00:29
Karate. I might have the technique name wrong--it's a roundhouse kick wherein the kicker then pivots his attacking leg's knee downward to hinge the kick downward on a diagonal, pivoting through on the base leg to deliver power.

A clip here demonstrates it.

http://home.catv.ne.jp/dd/m_suna/keri1.htm

I'm wondering why it is used, given the way many karateka consider high-kicking to be primarily limited to point sparring or the province of McDojo-ish flashiness, and also curious about what targets it would be of use against that a downward or diagonal hand strike couldn't attack more quickly.

Prince Loeffler
9th November 2006, 02:17
I have been on the recieving end of this kick twice. I've sparred against the Kyukoshin guys who favors this kick. From my angle this kick is often hard to predict which way it goes. I can't remember the proper terms but I ended up calling this the "Kamikaze Kick"... :)

This is quite a powerful kick. My friend offered me his own philosophy about this. Once the kick starts to come down in an angle or towards your neck the gravity adds more power into this kick. On top of that, the twist of the hips to deliver the kick also adds more power.

This kick is also similar to Muay Thai's Round Kick and where a practioner spins his entire body around.

I can't do this kick at all no matter what or how I tried ( Sciatica).

trevorg
9th November 2006, 13:32
Not one I'm familiar with either. Kyokushin tends to go more for Oroshi Kakato Geri (either inside or outside axe kick)

Osu
Trevor

trevorg
9th November 2006, 13:38
Unfortuntley I couldnt open the clip so cant see what it does. Am I understanding it that the striking part is the ball of the foot, or the heel. I have never heard of the first, but if it is the heel then my previous post refers. Also, Chito ryu use Otoshi-geri: Dropping kick in which gravity alone is used to create the force of the kick. Might it be otoshi, not oroshi ?

osu
Trevor

Ed_morris
9th November 2006, 22:39
Ashihara also has this type of kicking.

will szlemko
9th November 2006, 23:59
American Kenpo uses the same motion but lower to attack the back of the knee/top of the calf area. Very effective.

Rob Gassin
13th November 2006, 03:42
This kick is very powerful. There is a similar kick in Hapkido. We call it the lazy (or relaxed) turning kick. The way it is practiced in Hapkido is - the kicker walks nonchalantly to the target, kicks to the level of the side of the neck or jaw and walks back the way he came. if it misses it's target, it can easily be followed up with a ushiro geri or a spinning kick with the opposite leg.

I agree with Prince Loeffler that this kick is similar to the Muay Thai turning kick. As well as using gravity, the downward arc of the kick makes it harder to block and decreases the chance of contacting the shoulder.

Kaori Iida
18th November 2006, 17:34
This kick can be very powerful, I've seen Sensei Kiyama and Sensei Feitosa of Kyokushin knock people out. It also IS very deceptive because of the angle it comes in. I was on the receiving end of one yesterday during a spar. I went to block the usual Jodan Mawashi Geri but it came upward inside my block and I got knocked in the temple. It is also known as the "Brazilian Kick" because they made it famous.

--Harley Martin

Brad Burklund
20th November 2006, 21:05
Prince is correct here. This is a round kick with (if you can do it) with as close to a 180 degree angle dropping downard as possible. It is a very strong kick if done correctly but stresses the knee and the needs good flexibility around the hip.

The benefits is that it is relatively quick and functions with the body weight swinging through with the help of some gravity for a greater felt impact. It is also used to go over lower, and slightly outstretched, face guards.

The impacting surface of the kick is some times on the top of the instep, but ideally on the lower part of the shin, just about the ankle.

Regards,