PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Judo dojo

the Khazar Kid
21st November 2006, 01:17
in Hollywood/Los Angeles area. Thank you!

Jesse Peters

Aaron T
21st November 2006, 02:15
Gokor's gym, I practiced there a year or so ago, he is a great guy.

Aaron Fields

MarkF
16th December 2006, 18:53
This is a bit late but I was away from Internet access for a while and did not see this thread.

There are lots and lots of great judo dojo in the So.area. Hollywood Judo is but one. If you are willing to go into the valley San Fernando judo is a good dojo with a great history.

Traveling South, there is Seinan Judo in Redondo Beach whose original sensei was Kaname 'Kenneth' Kuniyuki who passed away a few years ago (9-dan) but he left some great students. One, Mr. Kobayashi was Kuniyuki's student for seventy years. There are few whose history links to Japan anymore, when it is, I say go for it. Kuniyuki was graded to Sandan in Japan by Jigoro Kano. Kenny was a student at the first dojo in the US located in Seattle ('Seattle Dojo').

If you do not want to travel, there is a very good dojo at LACC. There are tons of dojo which makes me wonder why no Medalists in the Olympics or World Championshils have come from LA, but that's how it was/is.

I lived near Gene LeBell in the 1980s so he may still have a dojo in Van Nuys. I am not sure of that, though, and hey may have dojo elsewhere in LA.

Anyway, give me a PM or Email and I can offer more suggestions keeping in mind I've not lived in LA since May, 1986 so info may be bit dated.

Mark

PS: Aaron's suggestion is, obviously, a good one.

the Khazar Kid
8th January 2007, 02:39
Thank you! Actually I am a pedestrian, unable to drive. I used to notice Gokor's Hayastan Academy in my neighborhood walking past it, but it seems that recently have they moved to North Hollywood instead? I stopped by LACC and heard their dojo was only for currently enrolled LACC students? I live right next to the Okinawan Goju-ryu Karate-do Kobudo Kenshikai Hombu Dojo and Hollywood Soo Bahk Do to give you some idea of what area I am in.

Jesse Peters