PDA

View Full Version : Journal of Asian Martial Arts--RIP?

don
22nd November 2006, 01:29
Haven't seen their journal in Barnes and Noble for months.

Just visited their website and they're AWOL.

Did they finally succumb?

http://www.goviamedia.com/

Dean Whittle
22nd November 2006, 01:57
G'day again Don,

I just saw a edition in my local newsagency, I'll check to see which Vol/Issue it is, but it looks prety recent, it had a review of Hatsumi's Sword Fighting book and an article on Optical Illusions in Aikido (or something to that effect). Looking at the website this edition doesn't seem to be on there.

I don't normally buy the magazine as it retails for $32 AUST, bit pricey...

Regards

edg176
22nd November 2006, 02:08
Yep. Still around.

I feel like they've never really reached their potential.

It's too bad.

tweety
22nd November 2006, 11:59
It's always been a journal I've really WANTED to like, but never was able to get sufficiently interested in their articles.

Ron Tisdale
22nd November 2006, 14:03
I have a copy of volume 15 number 3 2006 in front of me...there is an interesting article on ki training in sinmoo hapkido -- something called Danjun breathing (sounds like pretty concrete info on a qigong training).

Anyone read it? Tim, your background may lead you to comment on the article...interested in your thoughts.

Thanks,
Ron

don
22nd November 2006, 17:29
G'day again Don,

Looking at the website this edition doesn't seem to be on there.Howdy, Dean.

What URL are you using?

Thanks.

edg176
22nd November 2006, 19:23
Yep I saw the article. It doesn't really explain how to move any ki at all, at least that I could remember when I read it.

That exercise is very similar to one that one of my friends used to teach. He learned it from his instructor in Maryland. My friend,however, only learned the choreography. We had dinner recently and discussed his old instructor...my friend mentioned, that the guy never much explained why they did what they did.

During my time in Hapkido at Berkeley (which they now call Yong Mu Do...now affiliated with Yong-In Univ. in Korea I believe), only one or two of the instructors ever taught ki development exercises. However, I am pretty sure now that the head instructor, Dr. Ken Min did in fact do some ki development stuff as part of his own training. He used to change in a room next to his office. One day I was waiting for him to start class, and he ducked into the room to change out of his street clothes. Waiting outside I could hear him do maybe a minute of this deep breathing exercise. It's kind of that haaaaahhhhhhhh sound. When he came out, he wanted me to grab his wrists, which I did. I was shocked to find out that his wrists and hands were already warm, and, actually sweating.

I figured that he had some kind of control over his circulation. Now, I feel like a total moron for not asking him how he did it.

A while back I posted on my experiences getting a small clue. The Hapkido exercise (arms opening/closing) that I learned was actually a big part of it. I got a clue when I realized that I could take the feelings from the CMA "zhan zhuang" or standing post exercise and put them into the Hapkido "breathing" exercise, and use them to open and close the arms with a full range of motion driven in synch with the breathing.

I don't have time to do this justice today , but suffice to say Ron, my thought is that the Koreans combined the ki conditioning methods of karate with whatever it was that Choi brought back from Japan. Hapkido can be a lot of things-- in some cases it looks more like aiki, in others its sort of pre-war judo combined with some karate/early taekwondo and a few standing jointlock tricks.

Last thought: one of the guys from our school was a native speaker and went to Korea on vacation and decided to track down a dojang that taught the Choi method exclusively. He was a pretty serious dude and a big fan of Gracie jujitsu. Anyway, he went to this place and told me that he was immobilized by a "small girl." He grabbed her wrist and couldn't move her.

So yeah. The Koreans have something.

Bruce Mitchell
23rd November 2006, 05:52
JAMA was pretty good in the beginning. I kept a subscription up for a number of years. But the have published mostly crap for the past few years. I think it is due to the lack of competent, interestng authors these days.

Dean Whittle
23rd November 2006, 22:16
Don,

Last week I used the url you posted, but that doesn't seem to be up at the moment.

I checked in the newsagent last night and the edition here is Vol 15 Issue 3, its the same one Ron mentions.

Regards

Jeremyf
24th November 2006, 10:10
The library I work at has a subscription, and I'm fairly sure I would have heard had it been discontinued on their end. After all I'm the one who convinced them to order it in the first place. :) Possibly someone was slow on their domain renewal and it lapsed?

Jake McKee
28th November 2006, 18:36
The Journal of Asian Martial Arts is alive and well.

See here for the more recent issues:

http://budovideos.com/shop/customer/home.php?cat=602

Kyro Lantsberger
28th November 2006, 20:56
I wonder if there was a supplier dispute with B&N, I havent seen it there for a while, come to think of it.

Ive bought a number of issues over the years, and never thrown away a single one.

I really hope they can expand the readership, I think they have a chance of being far more professional and academic in tone than the rest of MA media.

Jeremyf
29th November 2006, 07:03
Looks like the site is back up... Slightly different look, a definite improvement I think. :)

http://www.goviamedia.com/