PDA

View Full Version : Japan cultural music?

Phil_the_SP
29th May 2000, 01:23
What kind of music can i get to help me meditate? I was thinking much of the Japanese classical music, with alot of the flutes, etc that they used. Nothing with words in it, just all instrumental. Any ideas?

DJM
30th May 2000, 00:44
Hi Phil..
I'd just like to thank you for kicking off the forum - I'll be posting something introducing myself later this week (busybusy weekend!)..
One other point, that you might not have encountered if you're new to the forum, is that we ask people to sign with their full names - either in the edit itself, or you can set up a .sig with it in.. Thanks..
Now, to answer your question..!
http://216.10.1.92/ubb/wink.gif
I've not come across any Japanese music to date, so I'd be very interested in anything people can tell us..
I have, however, found a couple CDs I have to be very beneficial in helping you to relax.. They are "Atmospheric Moods:Lightning, Thunder and Rain" and "Flute Music of the American Indian"
The former is one I've had for about 5 years now, and I've found the combination of natural sounds and pan pipes very conducive to relaxation and meditation..
Cheers,
David

------------------
Poetry of Birds,
A Thousand Voice Melody,
Dancing on the Waves
-- David Marshall

John Lindsey
30th May 2000, 01:33
For me, its Kitaro! If you have not heard his work, you owe it to yourself to check it out.

fowlerl
30th May 2000, 05:46
Bugei has an excellent CD.

_Japanese Masterpieces for the Shakuhachi_, it is played by the masters of Meian-ryu, Kimpu-ryu, Tozan-ryu, Ikuta-Ryu, and Kikusui-ryu at Darumaden of Nanzenji and Meianji, Kyoto Japan.

It is listed as LYRCD 7176

lfowler

Gil Gillespie
31st May 2000, 00:28
I would endorse the Bugei CD without having heard it. Traditional shakuhachi flute music is otherworldly and I've used it for years as a background to my iaido katas, which is as close to meditation as I've come.

Aikido Sensei Dr David Jones of Orlando FL spent a year as Fullbright scholar in Fukuoka in 1988. During that time he took part in komuso with local Buddhist monks. He gave me a tape of his shakuhachi playing which is a personal treasure. I thought it was "jazz meditations on a zen theme" until years later I saw his charts. Every note, waver, tremolo & breath is meticulously notated. The music was as scriptedas any budo kata. I was even more impressed.

Something you may not realize when you enjoy all that incredibly spiritual music.

Gil Gillespie

Hans Bachmann
19th June 2000, 05:07
There is a CD Titled "Music for Zen Meditation" by Tony Scott that is VERY good.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000047D6/o/qid=961430713/sr=8-1/ref=aps_sr_pm_1_1/102-2670084-9898527

yamatodamashii
19th June 2000, 05:19
I like listening to sound of my engine running in a small, enclosed garage. I find it very relaxing.