1st December 2006, 12:19
Can anybody tell me about it?

I'm thinking of taking a look.

Are they good at what they do?

Thanks for any advice.

George Ujvary

chrismoses
1st December 2006, 16:58
While in Japan in October, we were fortunate enough to see the Soke of Hokkushin Itto Ryu and some of his students at Shinto Ryu's Shizuoka embukai and I was quite impressed. Very clean waza.

Is there some Hokkoshin Itto Ryu available near you?

Doc-G
1st December 2006, 17:28
I believe that Hokushin Shinoh Ryu is pretty much all we have in Adelaide (as far as I've been able to find so far anyway) so its that or find something else to do.

It all seems very interesting to me but I just dont know my arse from my elbow in these matters and would appreciate some guidance from some of you folks who are experienced in iaido.

Cheers,

George Ujvary

Daniel Lee
1st December 2006, 23:28
You might like to include the following information in your Adelaide search:

http://www.geocities.com/koryu-bujutsu/dojoguide.html

Good luck!

A.J. Bryant
3rd December 2006, 13:08
Just to clarify, Hokushin Itto-ryu and Hokushin Shinoh-ryu are two very different arts. Hokushin Itto-ryu is koryu (classical) kenjutsu/batto, while Hokushin Shinoh-ryu is gendai Iaido (modern). The founder of Hokushin Shinoh-ryu did study Hokushin Itto-ryu however, hence the inclusion of Hokushin in the style's name...

chrismoses
4th December 2006, 16:24
Just to clarify, Hokushin Itto-ryu and Hokushin Shinoh-ryu are two very different arts. Hokushin Itto-ryu is koryu (classical) kenjutsu/batto, while Hokushin Shinoh-ryu is gendai Iaido (modern). The founder of Hokushin Shinoh-ryu did study Hokushin Itto-ryu however, hence the inclusion of Hokushin in the style's name...

Very true, sorry for the confusion. I could have sworn it said Hokushin Itto Ryu when I posted, must have been pre-latte. Appologies for any confusion.

That said, Hokushin Shinoh ryu is (to my understanding) a modern combination of Hokushin Itto Ryu and Shinto Ryu Iai (the same style I study). I haven't had the opportunity to see what this actually looks like however.

karatekowboy
4th December 2006, 18:27
Is a modern (gendai) creation formed by mixing Hokushin Itto Ryu and (I think) Shinto Ryu, plus modern kenbu (sword dancing).
As long as you understand what you are actually training in and they are honest about where it came from, then there should be no problems in taking it.

My teacher was once asked to be the U.S. Representative of this style. He accepted, then stepped away from it. All they could offer was video training, plus there were questions about the lineage. The Hokushin Itto Ryu lineage seemed legit, but there were more theatrical elements to it that just did not sit well. Actually, there have been atleast 3 people who tried to introduce the style to the U.S. with no success.

There never have been any questions regarding the actual skills of this teacher.
You just have to understand what you are learning and make the decision for yourself.

Doc-G
6th December 2006, 01:02
Thanks for all your help and assistance.

I will probably have a little look tonight.

Thanks again,

George Ujvary

Howard Quick
19th December 2006, 12:05
I have to say..the demo I saw of the headmaster of Hokushin Shinou ryu performing tameshigiri was pathetic!
No other term to describe it!

Jonathan Webber
24th December 2006, 08:55
I'm not sure that I'm the one to be saying anything about these matters, but from what I understand only one school in Australia (Brisbane) still has constant communication with Japan. Judging from Howards opinion of the 'headmasters' display of tamishigiri (which from my understanding is frowned upon by all of the hokushinshin shinoh ryu schools), I would say that the person you have witnessed is no longer offically a part of the school and probably only fooling himself.

Fred27
24th December 2006, 09:36
Sorry for the hijack here, but is it "Hokushin Itto-ryu" or "Hokkushin Itto-ryu"? I noticed some used two 'k' in Hokushin.

Howard Quick
25th December 2006, 00:08
As per a conversation with Mr. Webber, it turns out the video I have is of a man no longer in charge of the Hokushin Shinou Ryu school.
Seems they got a little off track..as led by this guy but now things are back in line!

Sukeyasu
25th December 2006, 01:32
It's Hokushin Itto Ryu. One K.

Fred27
30th June 2007, 18:55
Sorry for the necropost but I stumbled upon what appears to be the official Australian HSR website (http://www.hokushin.com.au/) for those of you who are interested. Also found a HSR video-clip on YouTube with a demonstration of 5 kata from the system: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7CMvo0GpBY

Damien Mason
5th July 2007, 03:56
Hi all,

I study Hokushin Shinoh Ryu Iaido in Adelaide. Our teacher is Suseki Shihan Goho Wongo Chong. He studied directly under the Grand Master Kimura Hekiho Masakazu.

I have been learning for only about 3 years, so I'm not able to comment on any politics. I can say we definitely have links to the Japan dojo - the Grand Master's son (and future inheritor of the style) presented our grading certificates just last night, and when we travel to Japan later this year we will train at the main dojo (in Nagoya I believe) and meet the Grand Master himself.

There is some hints to past problems both in Australia and originally in Japan, with people declaring themselves the new Grand Master or some such. As I've said, I haven't been training long enough to have been involved in all that. To be honest I don't know that the politics are that important anyway - we are learning Iaido, I can see my teachers are very skilled, I am not skilled, and for now that is enough for me. I think if you spend more time focussed on politics than on training your swordsmanship will suffer.