PDA

View Full Version : Beginner seeking guidance

aschenputtel
5th December 2006, 06:18
Please, bear with me. I am not as knowledgeable as many of you on this topic and am seeking advice.
Presently, I am very conflicted because the town I live in has FINALLY gotten an Aikido school; however, it is not what I was expecting. After years of desire, I am no longer interested. I don’t know if my beliefs were misconceptions or if the school is not quite right. After years of Karate and Tae Kwon Do (all that was offered within 30 miles), I was seeking something more than hard hitting and glow in the dark weapons. Don’t get me wrong, I think that it is great for some, but I am seeking a more spiritual journey. I have visited the new Aikido school several times and there is no focus on self-defense, but rather just beating the heck out of someone. I am not able to discern the variances from the other martial arts. When I asked questions regarding these issues, I was told the school is a Nihon Goshin Aikido school with a focus on Shotokan (I know that you understand this more than I…I had to have it written on a card to make sure I had it right).
My questions are:
1. Am I missing something here? Should there be more spirituality or is it really just kicking butt?
2. Since this is my only option, should I proceed regardless?
Basically, I am seeking guidance. I just wanted to seek a few educated opinions (and this definitely seems like the place to get them) before making the decision because I have had so many reservations. I am moving within the next 12 months and don’t want to start a program that is going to hinder my training in the long run.
Thanks to everyone!
Susan Floyd

Mike_Haft
5th December 2006, 11:01
Hello Susan,

You may find this helpful:

http://www.aikidoinc.com/history.asp?sid=GYS11ysNmc67HQKFfpj91VMkC586dYDgjPW5VOKD3D8i1YQOcG

Nihon Goshin Aikido is not the aikido derived from Morihei Ueshiba. There is some debate in the aikido world as to whether Nihon Goshin Aikido should be called aikido at all but that is an entirely different matter. Nonetheless, the aikido you were probably expecting will be very different from NGAikido which is much closer to Daito Ryu and has none of the influence of Ueshiba Sensei.

I'm personally puzzled more by their "focus on Shotokan", is it a NGAikido school or a karate school?

Sounds to me from what you wrote as though it may be a mix of both and not strictly speaking one or the other but I'm probably wrong.

Best

Mike Haft

MikeWilliams
5th December 2006, 13:51
I'm personally puzzled more by their "focus on Shotokan", is it a NGAikido school or a karate school?

Maybe they said "focus on Shodokan"?

(which in a way is just as confusing, but a little more aikido-relevant)

I have never heard of Nihon Goshin Aikido before, but having looked at that weblink it does look like a very different animal from Morihei Ueshiba's aikido (in its various flavours) - I'm sure you'd find the latter much more to your taste.

Mike_Haft
5th December 2006, 14:34
Found this:

http://www.roanokevalleyaikido.com/

Which I assume is the club in question. Seems to me like they have guys who do NGA and Shotokan and teach both. Fair enough really, so long as you know which is which.

As far as Susan's enquiry is concerned as I said before, the aikido she probably was expecting is something else entirely. Nihon Goshin Aikido is different. This is why the discussion about if it should be called aikido exists. The debate usually seeks to solve the problem: Is aikido a generic term for 'aiki' arts or is it specifically Morihei Ueshiba's art?

A dojo radius search on aikiweb reveals four dojo near Salem Virginia (afraid my US geography isn't too hot so hope I got that right Susan).

One of these dojo is the aforementioned NGA dojo. Another is an independent and is 6 miles east of Salem, there are two others, one 20 miles west of Salem, one 13 miles northeast of Salem.

Hope thats helpful. Think a better way would be for Susan to do the search herself: http://www.aikiweb.com/search/

Either way you're probably in for a drive to one of the dojo, but some of the others may be more like the aikido you were expecting.

All the best

Mike Haft

Amir
5th December 2006, 14:38
I do not know much about NGA but to the best of my knowledge, it is a totally different M.A., not connected to Ueshiba at all. Since inception NGA is eclectic and combines some Karate with Ju-Jutsu techniques like those used Aikido and Judo. Thus the focus on Shotokan can be explained.

Amir

kenkyusha
5th December 2006, 16:03
Here is another dojo in the area (listed as being 11 miles northeast of Roanoke):

62 Laurel Lane; Troutville, VA 24175
Instructors: Ron Malachowsky, 1st dan
Phone: (540) 992-2212
Schedule: M 5:45-6:45pm; Sa 9:30-11am

They seem to practice a style of aikido more in line with what you may expect. HTH.

Be well,
Jigme

aschenputtel
6th December 2006, 22:10
I just wanted to thank everone. All of the input has really helped! I used the search and found all four hits. Unfortunately, I was already aware of three. The first is the one I was discussing, the second is an 11 week class held at the local teen center that offers no opportunity to progress and its targeted at children, and the third never really opened (they were supposed to in 1997(?) and never did). Luckily, though, I was unaware of the one in Troutville. It is a 45 minute drive, but definitely worth it if it offers what I am seeking.
Thanks again!
Susan Floyd

Aikilove
8th December 2006, 11:32
These are all the dojo in Virginia I found through Aikidojournal.
It include all styles and affiliations but still. I guess if you find any of them interesting you can ask about them here.

http://www.aikidojournal.com/dojos.php?search=1&affiliation=&country=&state=virginia&city=&zip=

/J