PDA

View Full Version : Taurus Firearms

Kevin Geaslin
6th December 2006, 00:04
I've heard good things about their copy of the Beretta 92F, and saw on their website that they have a .357 magnum which closely resembles my old man's Colt Python. Does anyone have any experience with this brand, in terms of reliability, durability and warranty?

Brian Owens
6th December 2006, 05:55
If I recall correctly, many Taurus firearms are made in a former Beretta factory in Brazil, using the same tooling and mostly the same craftsmen as when Beretta still ran it. Workmanship and function on the various Taurus arms I have tried in the last decade or so has always been excellent.

HTH.

Brian Owens
6th December 2006, 07:05
BTW, I don't know the specific Taurus revolver you're refering to, but the ones I've tried all had a "push"-style cylinder release like a Smith & Wesson, rather than the "pull"-type like a Colt.

(I prefer the former, possibly because the S&W Model 15 I used in the Air Force had that type and so that's what I was used to.)

TonyU
6th December 2006, 12:27
If I recall correctly, many Taurus firearms are made in a former Beretta factory in Brazil, using the same tooling and mostly the same craftsmen as when Beretta still ran it. Workmanship and function on the various Taurus arms I have tried in the last decade or so has always been excellent.

HTH.
I thought it was S&W tooling. That's why their revolver were alomost exact duplicatesexcept with minor cahges so as not to violate trademarks. I know I could be wrong, though.
As far as quality is concerned. I have never owned one, but the ones I've seized and test fired seems to be of good quality. I've also heard god things from Taurus owners throughout the years.

Brian Owens
6th December 2006, 12:58
If I recall correctly, many Taurus firearms are made in a former Beretta factory in Brazil, using the same tooling and mostly the same craftsmen as when Beretta still ran it.

I thought it was S&W tooling. That's why their revolver were alomost exact duplicatesexcept with minor cahges so as not to violate trademarks. I know I could be wrong, though.
Hmmm.

I don't usually get my facts that confused, so I just checked.

Here, direct from the Taurus USA Web site's "History" page, are the facts:

From humble beginnings as a small tool manufacturer in Porto Alegre, Brazil over 60 years ago, Forjas Taurus (translation: Taurus Forge) has become a diversified, international company and one of the largest small arms manufacturers in the world. The company produced its first revolver in 1941. The gun combined elements from several Manufacturers of that day, including Colt, Smith & Wesson and certain Spanish brands. This first revolver was designated the Model 38101SO. Taurus soon became a major factor in the South American market and experienced continuous growth.

In 1968, the company was ready to venture into the U.S. market. This was accomplished by employing the services of a succession of U.S. distributors over the next several years. Their efforts met with only marginal success.

In the meantime, Smith & Wesson had been purchased by a conglomerate named Bangor Punta. In 1970, Bangor Punta also purchased 54% of Taurus. Thus, the two companies became "sisters". Smith & Wesson never owned Taurus. They were both independent companies. However, during the next seven years, a great deal of technology and methodology was passed between the two. What may come as a surprise to some is that more of what was "right" in Porto Alegre was sent to Springfield than was sent from Springfield to south of the equator.

1977 saw our present ownership buy 54% of Taurus outright from Bangor Punta. At once a quest to improve overall quality of Taurus product was initiated. Also, the company now began a dynamic expansion program.

Beretta had won a huge contract in 1974 to produce small arms for the army of Brazil. Part of the deal was that Beretta construct a Brazilian factory and use Brazilian labor. This they did, in the southwestern coastal city of Sao Paulo. When the contract ran out in 1980, Beretta sold the plant, literally "lock, stock and barrel," to Taurus. Taurus now owned everything that once belonged to Beretta, including drawings, tooling, machinery, and a very experienced work force. Taurus was in the pistol business, and immediately sought to improve on the Beretta design, resulting in the popular and acclaimed Taurus PT-92 and PT-99 9mm pistols.

Surprise! We're both right.

TonyU
6th December 2006, 22:51
Surprise! We're both right.
I was right? Wow, I better reward myself with a beer? :)

Pavol Schreiner
10th December 2006, 16:08
I had the Taurus PT97 which is a copy of the Berretta with an aluminium frame. It was very light. I carried it when I was going Close Protection work.

Is it reliable? No. It has so many parts and has so many bits that stick out. It was light but was uncomfortable to carry and it was easy to catch on clothing etc. when drawing the weapon in a covert carry. I moved from this to the Heckler & Koch.

The Taurus revolver is something else. I had a model 628 with 2.5 inches barrel which was stainless steel with a rubber grip. It had seven bullets from the .357 magnum and an intergrated compensator. This was my personal weapon and a back-up/second weapon when I was working. I was happy with the quality and it was very close to the S&W.

John Lindsey
10th December 2006, 17:48
Kevin,

Get a used Glock in 9mm. :)

Ting Chuan
4th January 2007, 00:07
Howdy,

I am looking at getting a .45 later on this year.
Had a Springfield Milspec 1911 .45 but due to some circumstances (divorce) had to unload (sell) it four years ago.

Have heard and read alot of good things about the Taurus PT1911 .45, does anyone have personal experience with this model?

Thanks in advance.

Rob Acox

Ultimate_Truth
6th January 2007, 16:36
Howdy,

I am looking at getting a .45 later on this year.
Had a Springfield Milspec 1911 .45 but due to some circumstances (divorce) had to unload (sell) it four years ago.

Have heard and read alot of good things about the Taurus PT1911 .45, does anyone have personal experience with this model?

Thanks in advance.

Rob Acox

Rob,

I have never shot a Taurus PT1911 but I do know that Taurus makes very fine guns and there is a good chance that you would be satisfied with your purchase of the PT1911.

If you know of a gun shop in your area with an indoor range, inquire with them whether they rent guns for shooting at that range. Most places do and will rent pistols for about $20 plus the cost of ammunition per session, so there's a good chance that you may be able to try out a PT1911 before you commit to a purchase.

Also if you are in the market for a self defense pistol chambered in .45ACP, check out the following models as well.

Sig Sauer P220
Glock 21 and 21C
Springfield XD in .45ACP
Springfield 1911s

mt2k
7th January 2007, 02:30
I once owned a Taurus .22 caliber revolver ( Model 94) and was vastly underwhelmed.
I am a big fan of S&W revolvers and there are so many good ones available at good second hand prices that I see no reason to go with any other brand if it's objective is self defense.
As far as semi autos are concerned I still prefer Glocks, Sig-Sauers and Berettas.
Matthew Temkin

Ting Chuan
9th January 2007, 22:40
There is a range not too far from me, think I'll give them a ring and see of they stock the PT 1911.

I was hoping someone would have personal, hands on experience with Taurus that they would share.

Anyway, I have shot the Sig P220 - real nice, the Beretta in 9mm(garbage) and 40 - also very nice, and the Springfield 1911 Milspec in .45 - my favorite so far.

Have no experience with GLOCK, although I hear mixed thoughts from folks who have. (I priced a new one on the cheap a couple of days ago though.)

I just have a soft spot for the 1911 because thats what I initially learned on years ago when I came in the service, and I think that the 9MM is crap.
(Although I carry the M9 for watch, and I have qualified on it as well as qualified others on it, I dislike it immensely)

Anyway thanks again.

~Rob Acox

Brian Owens
10th January 2007, 05:38
...I think that the 9MM is crap.
9mm gets a bad rap due to the military ball ammo required by the Geneva Conventions.

But civilians can use hollowpoints and other types of expanding rounds that are effective at imparting all their energy quickly into the target, thus being reasonably good defensive rounds.

And, as is often said, a hit with a 9mm is better than a miss with a .45 -- so it really depends more on the shooter and the particular weapon than it does on the caliber.

Ting Chuan
10th January 2007, 12:40
9mm gets a bad rap due to the military ball ammo required by the Geneva Conventions.

But civilians can use hollowpoints and other types of expanding rounds that are effective at imparting all their energy quickly into the target, thus being reasonably good defensive rounds.

And, as is often said, a hit with a 9mm is better than a miss with a .45 -- so it really depends more on the shooter and the particular weapon than it does on the caliber.

Oh I know, trust me. My personal preference is for the .45, thats all.

~Rob Acox

Ultimate_Truth
11th January 2007, 08:29
I use the Glock model 21 as my standard sidearm when combined with a long gun as well as for 'prowler repellant' around the house. The grip is slightly large, so it won't feel too comfortable to you if you have small hands. The big advantage to the Glock is the extreme ammunition capacity (13+1 .45ACP!), providing a great deal of firepower without downtime for reloading. They are also unbelievably reliable and durable - I've often referred to Glocks as 'The AK-47 of handguns'.

Most military personnel I talk to feel the same way about the Beretta as you do - and hated to give up the 1911. If you feel that the 1911 is your gun of choice, there are number of good 1911 clone manufactureres out there, including Kimber, Smith & Wesson, Para-Ordanance, Sig Sauer, Les-Baer, Wilson Combat (very nice!), Rock River Arms, STI (Top-of-the-line competition handguns but cost BIG $$$$$!). Check them all out, you might fine one you like more than the Taurus. In addition look at Colt made 1911s as well.

There is a range not too far from me, think I'll give them a ring and see of they stock the PT 1911.

I was hoping someone would have personal, hands on experience with Taurus that they would share.

Anyway, I have shot the Sig P220 - real nice, the Beretta in 9mm(garbage) and 40 - also very nice, and the Springfield 1911 Milspec in .45 - my favorite so far.

Have no experience with GLOCK, although I hear mixed thoughts from folks who have. (I priced a new one on the cheap a couple of days ago though.)

I just have a soft spot for the 1911 because thats what I initially learned on years ago when I came in the service, and I think that the 9MM is crap.
(Although I carry the M9 for watch, and I have qualified on it as well as qualified others on it, I dislike it immensely)

Anyway thanks again.

~Rob Acox

Brad Burklund
11th January 2007, 19:35
As listed above, I wouldn't discount the Springfield Armory XD (especially in the .45 ACP). Cheaper than a Glock, thinner grip, better grip angle in my opinion (I used tp own a 1911 and found canting my hand to accomodate the Glock not necessarily bad, but just a little odd) and, if not in So Cal would offer you up 13+1 .45 ACP in a double stack mag. But here, you get 10.

Great pistol, accurate for the cost, and reliable from my personal experience. But if price is no problem (it is for me), then any of the big names. Les Baer makes an awesome 1911.

Regards,