PDA

View Full Version : Yoshin ryu JJ

k4013b
8th December 2006, 20:08
I am currently looking for a traditional jujutsu school (not judo) that emphasizes ground fighting. I am also looking for the stand-up jointlocks/strikes, but am really interested in a traditional jujutsu school that has great ground fighting techniques. I found that a Yoshin ryu Jujutsu school is about 20 minutes away from me, but I'm not sure if this is a jujutsu school that only has throws/standing techniques and no grappling. Any replies appreciated, thanks.

glad2bhere
9th December 2006, 18:13
Not sure, but you may get more of a response if you characterize what your concept of "ground-fighting" is. For some arts its little more than a series of tussling techniques that position the person in order to deliver a coup de grace. For some arts its simply wrestling a person into submission. In the art I study, Hapkido, its usually those techniques that disable the attacker or impair them sufficiently that I can (re-)gain my feet. Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Aaron T
9th December 2006, 19:23
If you are ever in Seattle look us up.

Aaron Fields
Seattle Jujutsu Club, Hatake Dojo
www.seattle-jujutsu.org

MikeE
11th December 2006, 14:34
As far as I know, the only legitimate Yoshin ryu in the US is Takamura ha Shindo Yoshin ryu taught by Toby Threadgill (and his students). Everything else isn't koryu.

Aaron T
11th December 2006, 15:24
Yep Toby is the guy. But, judging by his "want list," good meji period stuff might work too.

Aaron Fields

glad2bhere
11th December 2006, 15:36
I get confused whenever Threadgill Sensei's name comes up as I see him described as an Aikido practiioner on some occasions and as a ju-jutsu practitioner. (See: GOOGLE Search) Help?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Ron Tisdale
11th December 2006, 18:23
I'm not sure Toby has ever "practised" aikido. He is quite well known in aikido circles due to his participation in the aiki-expos. Personally, if I lived anywhere near Evergreen, Co, I would probably train with him. I think he has really good stuff to teach, and you couldn't find a nicer guy. But aikido? Nope...not that I know of...

Best,
Ron

glad2bhere
11th December 2006, 20:24
Thanks, Ron:

I was fortunate enough to be corrected by PM, in the most cordial manner, by the one person who would know best.

Thanks again,

Best Wishes,

Bruce

k4013b
12th December 2006, 01:53
By ground fighting I mean techniques similiar to those found in Judo/BJJ. So basically, what traditional jujutsu ryu holds techniques like those found in Judo/BJJ?