PDA

View Full Version : Hakutsuru Vids

Timothy.G.B.
10th December 2006, 20:36
Hi Everyone:

I am usually the one asking for any links to video of Hohan Soken's Hakutsuru and I came across these two on Youtube.

Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUEqKCMjWzM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXEPSGkiRfc&mode=related&search=

Best,
Tim

P.A.L
29th December 2006, 19:25
Thanks for the clips, I like Mr. Sandoval Hakutsuru Dai(so far his katas are closest to what i have seen from Hohen Soken),our version is almost identical with a little bit more details but I got totally confused by Mr. Chandler kata Hakutsuru Mei , is there anybody who can acknowledge his kata as Hakutsuru Mei? it is very much same as RushoKen that i know through Mr. Lindsey except for the kicks. Mr. Lindsey voice on the clip makes it more confusing. Unfortunately I’ve never been taught Hakatsuru Mei but I don’t wanna pickup that kata from a vido clip.

Alex Habibi

Ed Gingras
30th December 2006, 02:34
Good morning Mr. Habibi,

I was wondering when and where you saw Sensei Soken performing Hakutsuru? The version that I am familiar with is a little different from those shown on youtube.

v/r
Ed Gingras
Okinawa

Thanks for the clips, I like Mr. Sandoval Hakutsuru Dai(so far his katas are closest to what i have seen from Hohen Soken),our version is almost identical with a little bit more details but I got totally confused by Mr. Chandler kata Hakutsuru Mei , is there anybody who can acknowledge his kata as Hakutsuru Mei? it is very much same as RushoKen that i know through Mr. Lindsey except for the kicks. Mr. Lindsey voice on the clip makes it more confusing. Unfortunately I’ve never been taught Hakatsuru Mei but I don’t wanna pickup that kata from a vido clip.

Alex Habibi

P.A.L
30th December 2006, 14:56
Hi Ed,
Sorry for confusion,I did NOT. To my best knowledge( you most defintely know more than i do) there is NO video of Soken doing a full Hakutsuru kata, I have seen two footage of him doing some of crane techniques or some segments of a kata. what i meant was his techniques not the whole kata.
As for Soken kata i guess we will never know but there are many good crane katas out there with strong bunkai, i am just curious about Hohen Soken from historical point of view.
I allways wanted to know how Mr. fusie Kise does Matsumura Hakutsuru with no luck of course.

Alex Habibi

Good morning Mr. Habibi,

I was wondering when and where you saw Sensei Soken performing Hakutsuru? The version that I am familiar with is a little different from those shown on youtube.

v/r
Ed Gingras
Okinawa

Ed Gingras
31st December 2006, 01:09
As for Soken kata i guess we will never know but there are many good crane katas out there with strong bunkai, i am just curious about Hohen Soken from historical point of view.
I allways wanted to know how Mr. fusie Kise does Matsumura Hakutsuru with no luck of course.

I have lived on Okinawa since 1971 and was fortunate enough to have studied with Sensei Soken for around eight years so I am familiar with his techniques.

v/r
Ed Gingras

P.A.L
6th January 2007, 13:23

I have lived on Okinawa since 1971 and was fortunate enough to have studied with Sensei Soken for around eight years so I am familiar with his techniques.

v/r
Ed Gingras
Sensei Gingras,
it is told that Sensei Soken had practiced with Gokenki and Mabuni , what other white crane katas Soken used to practice in his dojo besides Matsumura Hakutsuru?