PDA

View Full Version : Karate in Augusta, GA?

Joel Simmons
12th December 2006, 05:07
Hello all,

The Army has bestowed the honor of living in Augusta, Georgia upon me and my family, and now I must find a place to train. I used to practice Shobayashi Shorin-ryu long ago, and would be interested to learn from a good teacher in the area if anyone would be kind enough to point me in the right direction (any Okinawan style would be great).

Thank you in advance.

harleyt26
13th December 2006, 02:21
Hello Mr. Simmons,I would recommend that you contact sensei Dan Smith (Seibukan)at the Coal Mountain Dojo near Atlanta Ga..If that is too far to commute for training I am sure he could recommend a dojo in or near Augusta. Tom Hodges

Gyokkushin
13th December 2006, 10:57
Unfortunately tyour choices are very slim there in Augusta. Best thing you can do is just go look around but if you are a hardcore practicioner you may end up where I did...training by myself.

However, here is one guy to call and go see if you want. He is closer to Aiken than Augusta. His name is James Hess and works for the Jackson PD. His email is town.jackson@computer1.net

I do not feel comfortable posting his number for 10,000 potentially unbalanced people to look at so if you want more information or even other schools around the area (mostly between Atlanta and Columbia) feel free to email me at john.director@sec-intel.net

Cheers.

John

Joel Simmons
15th December 2006, 03:14
Hello everyone,

Thank you for the replies. Yes, anything in Atlanta or near Columbia is a bit too far for me. Atlanta is about 2 hours west of Augusta and being in the Army doesn't allow me the luxury of late nights driving across the state for practice.

I will contact anyone you guys recommend and see if they are able to help point me in the right direction out here.

Thanks again.

Asia
28th December 2006, 19:18
Hello all,

The Army has bestowed the honor of living in Augusta, Georgia upon me and my family, and now I must find a place to train. I used to practice Shobayashi Shorin-ryu long ago, and would be interested to learn from a good teacher in the area if anyone would be kind enough to point me in the right direction (any Okinawan style would be great).

Thank you in advance.
So who did you piss off at DA to get sent here? :)

There isn't much here in the way of Karate in Augusta but the places I would recommend is ALL AMERICAN MARTIAL ARTS (where I train MMA, BJJ but also has a Karate class), AUGUSTA MARITAL ARTS, and SEIGLERS KARATE (Kempo) for more info on the MA scene here feel free to PM me.

karatekowboy
29th December 2006, 04:19
Is in N. Augusta South Carolina. I just don't know how to reach him.

I'm sure you can look around and find some ads.

liquidkudzu
3rd January 2007, 13:26
Gyokkushin mentioned Mike Hess (he goes by Mike, not James). I am a black belt under Mike Hess and he is possibly the best teacher in our area. He teaches out of a dance studio in Aiken and a community center in North Augusta. The community center is about 3 miles from 15th street in Augusta, GA. He is an 8th degree black belt and is legitimate.

I will send you his contact information.

Also, I run a school on the edge of North Augusta, about 12 miles from Broad Street in Augusta. I charge $25 per month and would love to have you check my school out.

As for Joe Ruiz, which the last poster mentioned, he was incredible, but retired about 6 years ago. The last I heard, he is running a tattoo parlor on wrightsboro road near the Augusta Mall.

I will send you all of this in a pm. If anyone else wants Mike Hess' contact info or my school site, message me.

lk

liquidkudzu
17th January 2007, 20:55
http://www.bodybydale.com/

I forgot to mention that place. It is a tang soo do school, which is not what you asked for, but it is directly on base at Fort Gordon.

I don't know anything about him, but it can't hurt to call and check out.

Also, I made a list of school in the CSRA, which includes Augusta, Aiken, and North Augusta. There are 53 (fifty-three) schools that I know of. If you would like the list email me and I will send it over.

lk