PDA

View Full Version : Katori Shinto-ryu book(s) (besides Deity and the sword)

Fred27
17th December 2006, 11:06
Hello. I'm looking for one or more books on Katori Shinto-ryu. There is of course Otake Sensei's "Deity and the Sword" book but as I understand it, those books are very rare so I'm assuming I wont find them in a hurry. I know there is a french-language translation of the Deity and the Sword, but since my french is a bit rusty..err...non-existing...

Other than Otake Sensei, what other author/title can you recommend about TSKSR? I'm looking for books on both the technical curriculum and a general, (but still fairly detailed) overview of the TSKR history and the works.

I noticed that there is a French translation of the "Deity and the Sword" available, but that book "only" covers the technical parts. I'd like some more general information in english as well.

Sorry if this has been asked before. I made a search on the "Media and the Martial Arts"-section on this forum but couldnt find any other than "Deity and the Sword".

Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

fifthchamber
17th December 2006, 23:01
Sugino Yoshio also wrote a book covering the basics of the school. The name is "Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu" I believe, but since I don't have it I can't tell you much about it. It's about as rare as "Deity and the sword" in all honesty...
You could wait until 2007....

DDATFUS
17th December 2006, 23:48
Fred,

If you haven't read Draeger's Classical Bujutsu yet, it contains at least a little information on TSKSR. Enough to make you want to read more, but not enough to really answer your questions. I've read a couple of Donn Draeger's lectures given at the University of Hawaii (available through the IHS website) and there seems to be some information on TSKSR available there, too. But none of these sources have anything close to the type of detailed overview that I suspect you are looking for.

Fred27
18th December 2006, 05:28
Sugino Yoshio also wrote a book covering the basics of the school. The name is "Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu" I believe, but since I don't have it I can't tell you much about it. It's about as rare as "Deity and the sword" in all honesty...
You could wait until 2007....

Yoshio Sugino Sensei wrote a TSKR-book? Excellent! Thats a true best-buy even if it isn't super-detailed. I would love some info on the "old school" Katori of the 20th century. :)

Fred,

If you haven't read Draeger's Classical Bujutsu yet, it contains at least a little information on TSKSR. Enough to make you want to read more, but not enough to really answer your questions. I've read a couple of Donn Draeger's lectures given at the University of Hawaii (available through the IHS website) and there seems to be some information on TSKSR available there, too. But none of these sources have anything close to the type of detailed overview that I suspect you are looking for.

Guess that gives me one more excuse to pickup Donn Draeger Sensei's books.
The details I'm after are perhaps not super-relevant to any KSR-training. Maybe info on the complete lineage, added/removed weapon-systems in KSR in it's history, various branch-schools (if any whatsoever), TSKR-role in the Edo-period, how TSKSR has evolved since it's inception, off-shoots of TSKR and so on. And obviously I'm interested in the technical side of the modern system for practical reasons but that goes without saying I think. :p

Thanks for all yer help :)

DDATFUS
18th December 2006, 18:25
I completely forgot to mention this one, but Ellis Amdur's book Old School has a chapter on TSKSR. It includes a description of several of the different kata sets and a discussion of some of the different forms of weapons and their purposes. I've yet to find a set of The Deity and the Sword for sale at what I call a reasonable price, but Old School might be your best bet (in English) outside of that.

In addition to that, why not try to email Phil Relnick? He's an official representative of TSKSR in the US, as I understand it, and he might be willing to give you an overview or at least suggest some good sources. You might also consider emailing Meik Skoss at koryu.com or Chip Armstrong over at the International Hoplology Society's website-- both of them have a lot of experience in observing at researching koryu, and both have been more than helpful when I've emailed them in the past.

Fred27
18th December 2006, 18:56
In addition to that, why not try to email Phil Relnick? He's an official representative of TSKSR in the US, as I understand it, and he might be willing to give you an overview or at least suggest some good sources. You might also consider emailing Meik Skoss at koryu.com or Chip Armstrong over at the International Hoplology Society's website-- both of them have a lot of experience in observing at researching koryu, and both have been more than helpful when I've emailed them in the past.

Aye, there is Phil Relnick and Meik Skoss Sensei...I just didn't think it would be aproperiate for me to email them about trivial stuff. After all I'm not a professional scholar but rather a "curious amateur". It feels like I would be more likely to pester them. And since I'm also an active student of several MA's they might give me the old "shut up and train"-comment. :p But what the hey? I can try. :)

Oh, that "Old School" book sounds like what I'm looking for as well. I'll put it on my xmas wish-list and mail it to Santa-Soke in the North Pole :D

Thanks again

Douglas Wylie
19th December 2006, 05:44
There is a little book called "the way of the warrior", with a section on/ interviewing Otake sensei.

Fred27
19th December 2006, 19:33
There is a little book called "the way of the warrior", with a section on/ interviewing Otake sensei.

Who is the author of that title?

Anders Pettersson
19th December 2006, 20:26

I don't know that, but I think that the book (have seen it some years ago) is based on the the TV series called "Way of the Warrior" made by the BBC in -81/82.

If you contact me on email (mitt förnamn följt av snabel-a sedan shorinjikempo.net) ;)
I migh be able to help you with some info on how you could get the episode with Otake-sensei from the TV series "Way of the Warrior".

/Anders

allan
21st December 2006, 18:19
The book is called The Way of the Warrior: The Paradox of the Martial Arts and the authors are Howard Reid and Michael Croucher. Publisher is Leopard Books. ISBN 0 7529 0134 6. The Leopard Books edition was published in 1995, while the original edition was published in 1983 by Century Publishing.

The section on TSKSR runs from pages 118 - 151.

There is also a brief section on TSKSR in Sword and Spirit by Diane Skoss but I assume that you have this book.

And Old School is highly worthwhile to acquire.

Best,
Al

Fred27
21st December 2006, 19:51
I don't know that, but I think that the book (have seen it some years ago) is based on the the TV series called "Way of the Warrior" made by the BBC in -81/82.

If you contact me on email (mitt förnamn följt av snabel-a sedan shorinjikempo.net) ;)
I migh be able to help you with some info on how you could get the episode with Otake-sensei from the TV series "Way of the Warrior".

/Anders

Ah yes I recognise you. I'm also registered at the Budo.se/forums as well under the name Fred25. :)