PDA

View Full Version : ft. bragg NC area

powerof0ne
26th December 2006, 01:59
Hi, I will be stationed at Ft. Bragg, NC for a while and really only know of some TKD schools and a good MMA school(I will train at the latter)but was wondering about any good Knockdown Karate or traditional(shito, goju, etc.) dojo around the area? Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Juan Perez
26th December 2006, 23:20
Hi, I will be stationed at Ft. Bragg, NC for a while and really only know of some TKD schools and a good MMA school(I will train at the latter)but was wondering about any good Knockdown Karate or traditional(shito, goju, etc.) dojo around the area? Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Not that I know of. However, there is a local guy who happens to be the official instructor of the guys "behind the fence" if you are interested. But, traditional... nope, I've looked for that myself with no luck.

powerof0ne
27th December 2006, 01:26
I think I know who you are referring to and after more internet searching I found him..he has a background in Shorin ryu and shito ryu and is a green beret. I also found a Shotokan dojo in fayetteville I will check out. I am going to train at Team R.O.C. for the BJJ but wanted to find a decent knockdown karate dojo or karatedo dojo nearby. Shotokan isn't really my background but if that's all I can find I'll gladly take it. I know there is an Enshin dojo a little more then 2 hours away and I think even a small Kyokushin club somewhere in NC but that wouldn't be too practical for me, so I'll get what I can take, thanks for your time.

Juan Perez
27th December 2006, 04:08
I think I know who you are referring to and after more internet searching I found him..he has a background in Shorin ryu and shito ryu and is a green beret.

No. That's not him. The guy I'm referring to is not a service member. He is a civilian on a military contract. He started out as a combatives instructor for us in SFAUCC and SFARTEAC. Through that he ended up doing a few days over at the "compound" and they liked it so he got an invite to stay and instruct them. He also works our "In Extremis" guys. I don't think this is the same guy you are referring to. Anyway, good luck searching for your school, bro. I'm sorry I couldn't help too much in that regard.

powerof0ne
29th December 2006, 19:53
I'm going to train at team r.o.c. (http://www.teamroc.net/Fayetteville.html) but am still trying to find a good Karate dojo. I have found info on a Shotokan dojo somewhere around Fayetteville but was more interesting in finding shito, goju, or Kyokushin because this is more of my background..oh well. The gentleman I was talking about who is a green beret with a background in shorin ryu and shito ryu is also teaching it with Escrima, which leads me to believe he's teaching a combination of the 3 and in more of a combatives manner, but I could be wrong. I will email him today to find out more. He also has a background in renshinkai karate, and if I remember right, somebody else on this forum teaches that style? I forgot who, off hand.

powerof0ne
29th December 2006, 21:32
I tried emailing the individual I was talking about but he no longer uses that email because I had it quickly returned. I'll let you know if I find anyone teaching those styles around Ft. Bragg.

JimP
4th January 2007, 22:26
Juan - you're thinking of Team ROC. Greg and Spencer are super guys and a lot of fun to train with. Good luck powerofone.

cyna
26th February 2007, 00:40
Chito-ryu karate is taught at Ft. Bragg by Warren "Po" Pochinski. Contact the Hombu dojo for contact info www.chito-ryu.com

powerof0ne
9th March 2007, 19:53
I actually found someone teaching Kyokushin not too far away, too. I have jump school next week but after I get back from that I will be enrolling in the BJJ and Kyokushin, thanks for the help, people.