PDA

View Full Version : Mixed Martial Arts?

berserker fury
27th December 2006, 22:27
I read that you cant compete in Mixed Martial Arts and train in the Bujinkan, is that true?

william northcote
27th December 2006, 22:54
[shouts out] "Popcorn. Get your lovely popcorn and free coke."

[Starts to scalp the numbers for profit]

snake-eyes78
28th December 2006, 00:30
Yes...

you can compete in MMA and still study bujikan, BUut why?

the arts taught in the bujinkan were never designed for the sport-like arena of MMA competition. MMA competition has rules governing conduct in combat. Bujinkan only has rules governing conduct in the dojo. Your conduct in the bujikan depends only upon what tho dojo-cho feels that you need to know and how ready you are to receive the knowledge. If you are only a kid with no path, don't worry about rhat you know. It will keep you safe. If you are a soldier or a police officer, you might learn more.

Until then, absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and create what is uniquely your own. However, keep in mind, what you thought might have been useless, might come in handy someday.

Remember, MMA comp. is fought on a completely different 'battlefield' than 'street' or 'law enforcement' or whatever. Is what you want to do MMA comp? Or do you want something for life? Or do you want sport competition in your youth that you can apply in old age?

There's a whole lot to any MA...
It's up to you to decide on what you want it to be.

Keep it real dog... (for you)

George Kohler
28th December 2006, 01:38
I read that you cant compete in Mixed Martial Arts and train in the Bujinkan, is that true?

Please read the forum's guidelines. http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33347

George Kohler
28th December 2006, 14:10
Sorry, I misunderstood the thread.

I have not heard anyone not being able to do both Bujinkan and MMA competitions at the same time. I think Sean Askew does both (or did) and he now lives in Japan.

william northcote
28th December 2006, 14:23
I think Sean Askew did sport Judo. Will have to look at those newletters he brought out some time ago to make sure.

bu-kusa
28th December 2006, 14:45
I believe he did/does both Kosen Judo and Shooto as a supplement to his Bujinkan training.

ElfTengu
2nd January 2007, 21:08
MMA is great if you happen to find yourself unarmed whilst wearing small red underpants covered in oil and needing to defend yourself from a similarly attired aggressor in an octagonal room.

In a crowded bar when you suddenly become aware of a glass being thrust towards your face then Taijutsu or Wing Chun (you get the picture) is what you need.

Seriously though, MMA is great exercise and offers much to learn but it is missing too much for ninjers to spend too much time on it.