PDA

View Full Version : Determining if a market is prime for a school

toejoe2k
29th December 2006, 01:19
I am evaluating the prospect of opening a new school in the next 12 to 18 months and am interested about how to research the "readiness" of a market. The town in which I live is pretty much saturated with MA schools. However, there are a few neighboring communities that don't appear to have much of an offering for martial arts instruction.

My question is, how would one determine if a market is prime for opening a school? I have a couple of options on where to go but, I'd like to know which of the two will offer the most success. Is it a trial and error thing? Does anyone else have any experience with this delima?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

~Bill Richardson

yoj
29th December 2006, 16:04
*scratches head*

Are there enough people interested to cover venue hire?

toejoe2k
29th December 2006, 20:24
That's what I need insight on determining. I don't want to rent out some facility and set everything up just to have 2 people show up to train. I'm sure it'll be lean at first but, I've got some good marketing skills (used to be my profession) and can build up if the interest is there.
What would one do to determine the interest other than going door-to-door.

I was considering a free seminar on something like personal protection or anti-bullying at one of the grammer/middle schools in the area. But, I've read that not many people had much luck with this sort of thing.

I've got a couple of communities that I'm considering but, just need some experienced opinions on how to determine which would be the most receptive...

Again, thanks to all who reply.

dbotari
2nd January 2007, 18:40
I've got some good marketing skills (used to be my profession) and can build up if the interest is there..

Then surely you are familiar with Market Research. Is there a firm around that can do some for you. Or better yet an University or College with a businerss program may have a consulting service you could hire for a modest sum to do some market research for you.

Dan Botari

cxt
3rd January 2007, 02:31
toe

What market segment is open?

If the satuation of the market is say TKD schools then a judo school might work just fine.

If your going to butt heads directly with a load of schools that do more or less exactly what you--then good luck, your going to need it.

Having no idea as your skills, the market, the demographics, your competiton, wage levels in the are, and a whole lot more--kinda hard to give any kind of usable opinion.

liquidkudzu
3rd January 2007, 14:55
Check those communities and see if they have a community or rec center. Those places will let you teach there for free or they will take a small percentage of what you charge your students. After you build up a decent student base, then decide if you want to rent a place.
In a rec center, you can leave or close down if needed and nothing will be lost.

lk

Ice flow
4th January 2007, 00:00
The rec center idea is quite good. Many of them will also have existing equipment like punching bags, pads, or even a padded room for martial arts.

Also I believe that insurance costs usually aren't quite as high through community/rec centers.

Nigel Lewis
4th January 2007, 02:56
Actually, I'm in kinda in the same situation. I just recieved permission to teach, and I don't want to let my sensei down.

Currently I am looking at teaching at several universities and community colleges as an Adjunct instructor, but the problem I'm finding is that nobody has heard of Yagyu Shingan Ryu Taijutsu.

If you teach a style people are more likely to know, I believe you would have a better chance teaching as an Adjunct at a college - and it would be a paying position too. The places I looked into pay about $2,300 per course taught.

I also offered to volunteer to teach the local Boy Scouts, but they told me that martial arts are contrary to their beliefs. (ROTC and NRA are on the otherhand perfectly acceptable)

Anyway, I hope I could help you. I too am open to more ideas.
Thanks,
Nigel Lewis

joe yang
4th January 2007, 22:17
Go online to SCORE, the Service Corp of Retired Executives. Do the inquiry/survey. I got hooked up with a marketing professional, who is working pro bono, helping me develope a consulting practise. It is the best thing I ever did.

On a related note, my GM firmly believes in location. How close can you get to the highest residential density? Make it an easy commute for as many karate moms as possible.

Erik Calderon
16th January 2007, 04:18
First thing I'd do is to decide what my target market would be...and be very specific. The more specific you are the more chances for success you will have.

i.e. I focus on adults. My target is between the ages of 25 - 35, professionals.

I then focus on marketing to those people. Marketing is a key component to success, whether it be word of mouth, print, TV or radio.

Ting Chuan
17th January 2007, 00:08
I am evaluating the prospect of opening a new school in the next 12 to 18 months and am interested about how to research the "readiness" of a market. The town in which I live is pretty much saturated with MA schools. However, there are a few neighboring communities that don't appear to have much of an offering for martial arts instruction.

My question is, how would one determine if a market is prime for opening a school? I have a couple of options on where to go but, I'd like to know which of the two will offer the most success. Is it a trial and error thing? Does anyone else have any experience with this delima?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

~Bill Richardson

I'll drop my opinion, take from it what you will.

Having been on the receiving end of not having a permanent space in which to train for awhile a few years ago, we (the group I am with) bounced around from the rec room at a apartment building, a less than perfect small room converted to a dojo, a park, a church gymnasium, a nice large open studio space that was shared for yoga and martial arts, and the back room of the teachers shared business office. Our student body remained in flux (and still does) between 2-3, to sometimes 10-12 and the location don't matter much.

What the instructor did for what I hope is a permanent solution is go to a guy who runs an academy out of a large place in a mall. The place is so big that it's divided in half, so he teaches his stuff on one side and shares the other with a couple of other instructors and their classes on different nights of the week.
The pluses are we have a set location, set nights to train, the guy is very reasonable about what our dues are for the month, and sometimes we get to train with his or some of the other instructors students.

Theres a couple of places around town that are doing this sharing of space.
That might be an avenue for you to check into.
BTW, where in Tx are you? Good Luck!

~ Rob Acox

Chris McLean
17th January 2007, 15:34
Typically only 3% of the population will practice martial arts. Figure the population in the given area then figure your 3% that’s how many people in the area you can expect to be interested. Then figure the average income per capita. Martial arts fall under luxury or entertainment so from there you can figure your price. Parks and rec. centers are good. You may need a contract with the municipality. Sub lease a dance studio or a gymnastics facility. Veterans of foreign wars halls are good. I wouldn't promote the style because most neophytes don't know the difference. Keep it generic Judo, Jiujutsu, Karate until they have been with you for a while. Then of course educate them in what style they are learning, and its lineage, and the importance of the style integrity.

toejoe2k
19th January 2007, 16:26
Gentlemen,
Thank you for your many kind and valuable replies. There were a few questions asked that I will gladly address with the utmost appreciation for what has been contributed to date.

cxt wrote:

What market segment is open?

Having no idea as your skills, the market, the demographics, your competiton, wage levels in the are, and a whole lot more--kinda hard to give any kind of usable opinion.

One of the two prospective locations has a very incumbant TKD school and a relatively new Shotokan school. I don't think I'll have too much of a problem as I will be teaching (not koryu) Jujutsu/Aikijujitsu that utilizes a good deal of atemi (strikes). The (somewhat obscure) lineage actually stems from Sho-sho ryu jujutsu. For all the years I have spent chasing the Korean martial arts, this (Japanese) art is one of the most effective that I have seen.

The other prospective location has a TKD school and that's about it. However, this particular location has a much smaller population (almost rural).
I know of several people who are interested but, I find that retention is a problems because TKD can be a less stressful curriculum. I can say that because of my years of study in TKD under two different organizations.

Rob Acox asked:

BTW, where in Tx are you?

I live in Kerrville which is in the central/southwest area of Texas. There are a lot of rural communities in this area of the state with populations of around 10k. It's just a matter of getting set up in one or more of these locations.
Kerrville itself is pretty saturated with schools, including my instructor. I don't think I'd want to be in direct competition with him. :)

Chris McLean wrote:

Typically only 3% of the population will practice martial arts. Figure the population in the given area then figure your 3% that’s how many people in the area you can expect to be interested.

If Mr. McLean is correct, that would have approx 300 prospective students to divide between 3 schools(should I locate there). That's seems pretty good to me.

A side note: My wife thinks I'm sick because this is all I do, talk about, think about, etc. :) I took an easier job (that, fortunately pays better than my last) to better position myself for this. I love training and helping other people train. However, I hate wasting my time. I won't bother trying to teach with old, worn equipment in an old, worn facility in a community that won't adequately support it. This is something I'm willing to invest some effort and $$ into if I can feel moderately assured that it will sustain itself. I also won't go into debt up to my eyeballs to keep a floundering school open. I watched one instructor of mine put himself into financial ruin because he would not charge sufficient dues to at least cover the rent of the facility. I will gladly learn from the mistakes and the successes of others.

Again, I thank each of you who has replied for being so generous with your time, thoughts, and well-wishes. In return, I wish and pray for each of you to find success beyond measure.

~Bill Richardson