PDA

View Full Version : Partial opening of royal tombs

Sapporo Ichiban
3rd January 2007, 16:10
Emperors' tombs may give up some secrets

January 4, 2007

TOKYO: Japan is allowing researchers to study 11 royal tombs - the graves of ancient emperors, sealed centuries ago - in a move that may shed light on the myth-shrouded origins of the Japanese royal family.

The secretive Imperial Household Agency has until now refused to let the public, and even scholars, enter the tombs, saying the spirits of past emperors should not be disturbed.

But after a petition by the Japanese Archaeological Association and other scholars in 2005, the Government has agreed to grant them limited access to the graves, a report in the mass-circulation Yomiuri Shimbunsaid.
A small number of researchers will be able to enter the outer fringes of the tombs, but will not be permitted to excavate, the association said. Archaeologists say inspecting the tombs could shed light on the origins of the country's royal family, the world's oldest surviving line.
It is a sensitive topic in Japan, where until 60 years ago the emperor was worshipped as the descendant of an ancient goddess.

The late Emperor Hirohito broke with that tradition by renouncing his divine status in 1945, after Japan's defeat in World War II.

But the myth that Japan's 125 emperors descended from the sun goddess Amaterasu Omikami, of Japan's native Shinto religion, still holds sway among rightists.

Suggestions by some scholars that the imperial line originated elsewhere - for example, on the Korean peninsula - have been attacked as an insult to the Japanese people. The tombs to be opened include one for the Emperor Nintoku, who is thought to have died in 399 AD.

Associated Press

Victor Brisbin
9th February 2007, 06:27
It will be very interesting to see the results of these studies. I lived for a time in the Kansai area, where a number of ancient tombs exist. With regard to the link between the historic Imperial line and the Korean peninsula, I can appreciate the sensibilities of Japanese citizens. Historically Korea served as a conduit of culture between Japan, the Korean kingdoms, and China. In my library I have a fascinating book on the early links between Japan and Korea, titled, "Maboroshi no Yamadaikoku." I'm sorry I don't have it at hand to give you the author's name, but he was an archeologist who also happened to be blind.

kobukai
24th July 2007, 17:15
Has anything come of the archeological excavations? I have not seen any news since the January announcements. Anyone know?

Adam Westphal
25th July 2007, 06:43
News of this sort is slow. The Japanese Archaeological Association's English page has nothing for 2007: http://wwwsoc.nii.ac.jp/jaa2/index.html